How to program for 3DO?

Tools and projects
sagar.ekbote
3DO ZERO USER

How to program for 3DO?

Post by sagar.ekbote » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:07 am

Hi All,
I am new to 3DO just want to know can we program for 3DO devices ?Which language is used for programming for 3DO devices?What all applications can be developed for 3DO devices except games?Any link or ebook would be most helpful .

Thanks,
Sagar

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:46 am

Here's the thread where I did most of my homebrew investigation:

http://cdinteractive.co.uk/3do/forum/vi ... .php?t=146

You have a couple of options. You can either write directly to the hardware with assembly, or you can download the SDK and code in assembly, C, or C++.

Unfortunately, the 3DO homebrew scene is virtually non-existant. The problem is that there's no way to run unencrypted code on a normal 3DO -- you need a Testing Station for that, and they're pretty hard to find. Additionally, FreeDO (the main [only?]) 3DO emulator has the same lockout the actual hardware has.

Anyway, I might be able to answer some basic questions about how to get started, but I couldn't tell you much in the way of programming tips. I just compiled some basic demos, then realized I was in over my head and didn't have the time or experience to do much more. :)

sagar.ekbote
3DO ZERO USER

Post by sagar.ekbote » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:19 am

My other question was can we develop any other applications for 3DO systems other than games?if yes plz give the ideas
Thanks
Sagar

zenkov

Post by zenkov » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:29 am

Tetris 8)

sagar.ekbote
3DO ZERO USER

Post by sagar.ekbote » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:41 am

As far as i know tetris is a Game .Actually i wanna know what all applications can be developed for 3DO systems other than games?Plz provide me with any ideas of developing any application (other than game) for 3DO systems.

Thanks
Sagar

Dengar13
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dengar13 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:21 pm

I don't know if this helps, but the user "OlderGames" may be able to point you in the right direction. They are releasing 4 NEW games for the 3DO and may know some devs that could help you out.

What kind of apps are you thinking of?

pitsunami
3DO ZERO USER

Post by pitsunami » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:27 pm

sagar.ekbote wrote:My other question was can we develop any other applications for 3DO systems other than games?if yes plz give the ideas
Thanks
Sagar
I cant see the reason to do sth like that,what do you have in mind?

sagar.ekbote
3DO ZERO USER

Post by sagar.ekbote » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:35 pm

Hi all i just wanted to find out weather it is possible to develop applications other than games for 3DO systems.PLz help me?Is this possible?if yeas what all applications (other than games can be developed).plz give ur ideas/Thoughts any link or ebook would be further helpful

Thanks
Sagar

Windows Killer
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Windows Killer » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:41 pm

i just wanted to find out weather it is possible to develop applications other than games for 3DO systems.
Makes me wonder why you ask that at all? You can program whatever you want, as neither ASM nor C (which you would use to write 3DO software) are limited in this regard.

OlderGames
3DO ZERO USER

Post by OlderGames » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:27 pm

Actually we have test stations here and if the game is publishable
offer a standard 50/50 to developers we work with which is more
of a partnership than a publishing contract. We can also get the
disk and code re-encrypted to run on a consumer system.

Devin
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by Devin » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:38 pm

How about a visualisation program? Not sure if it's possible for the 3DO to do a custom CD that can be ejected once loaded and then play a normal audio CD? Be a pretty cool project to trial. Hell even a rave demo like they used to do in the Amiga days would be really cool... if it was free! :D

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:37 am

WindowsKiller wrote:
i just wanted to find out weather it is possible to develop applications other than games for 3DO systems.
Makes me wonder why you ask that at all? You can program whatever you want, as neither ASM nor C (which you would use to write 3DO software) are limited in this regard.
This thread makes my head hurt. WindowsKiller here has the right idea, though.

sagar.ekbote
3DO ZERO USER

Post by sagar.ekbote » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:02 am

Thanks everyone for your answers but still i would like to have some ideas for applications (to be developed) for 3DO syatem from u all

Thanks
Sagar

bonefish
3DO ZERO USER

Post by bonefish » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:18 am

Supposing that you could get by that little problem that the 3do will not run an unencrypted cd.

How about you make a Playstation 3 emulator. You could call it PS3do :lol:

Or port some open source emulators like SNES9x to it.

zenkov

Post by zenkov » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:35 am

I dont want a music player for 3DO, I just want Tetris! 8)

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:52 pm

How about a nice CD player visualizer... Something to make the Jaguar CD owners jealous. ;)

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:46 pm

Mobius wrote:How about a nice CD player visualizer... Something to make the Jaguar CD owners jealous. ;)

...or indeed games

sagar.ekbote
3DO ZERO USER

Post by sagar.ekbote » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:02 am

Hi Mobilius can u tell me how should i run a source code written in C language using cygwin and GNUARM tools u suggested plz help me in this regard?It would be a great help if u give me ur mail id so that i can contact u for any other quiries

Thanks
sagar

sagar.ekbote
3DO ZERO USER

Post by sagar.ekbote » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:04 am

Hi mobilius Help me to run a C source code using cygwin and GNUARM tools on freedo emulator?Can u plz give me ur mail id

Thanks
Sagar

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:37 am

I never had much luck getting C programs to work with cygwin and GNUARM. The only programs I got working with that setup were ones written in assembly. I didn't really give it much effort, though. I moved on to the actual SDK running under a Mac emulator (there is no Windows-native SDK).

There's a link in the homebrew thread to the SDK and development documentation, I'd suggest reading through that.

Edit: I'd also suggest toning down on all the extra threads about this, too. I'm probably the only one here that will be able to answer any of your questions, and I'll keep my eye on this thread. I'll see your posts, it will just take time.

cdoty
Bringer of game signing

Post by cdoty » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:21 am

Mobius wrote:I never had much luck getting C programs to work with cygwin and GNUARM. The only programs I got working with that setup were ones written in assembly. I didn't really give it much effort, though. I moved on to the actual SDK running under a Mac emulator (there is no Windows-native SDK).
For some reason the data isn't setup correctly in C. If you transfer an image, it's offset in memory. This was also the result that felixl got. Maybe the data has to be relocated..