Virtual Vivid - Alternate packaging

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Virtual Vivid - Alternate packaging

Post by bitrate » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:45 am

Virtual Vivid, as most 3DO collectors know, was originally sold and/or given away in a generic jewel case sealed in cellophane.

Apparently, it was also packaged in a sealed cardboard sleeve as pictured below.

I got this a few months back and was surprised as I had never seen this title packaged in anything other than the generic jewel case.

Hound
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Hound » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:41 am

I would guess this was special packaging for 3DO Direct. The other version is just a blank jewelcase with nothing else cept the plastic wrap. 3DO Direct probably wouldn't touch it like that. It could also be an earlier packaging.

At the end, the distributor had spools of Vivid 3DO discs and little to no inserts. They started using inserts from the PC/Mac version, using marker to cover up the PC/Mac text on the inserts. Some came with half 3DO insert, the other front or back was the PC one. Some came with the cardboard sleeve, but one or no 3DO inserts in the case itself, those being PC. At the real end, they shipped out games with one or no inserts just to get the discs out of the warehouse.

So this was either just the earliest more expensive version of the packaging that didn't last or a 3DO Direct specific type. I've never seen it before though.

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:10 pm

Hound wrote: So this was either just the earliest more expensive version of the packaging that didn't last or a 3DO Direct specific type. I've never seen it before though.
I think you've nailed it there. Like you, I can't see 3DO Direct wanting anything to do with the nondescript packaging usually associated with Virtual Vivid. Or possibly, like you said, it could be some type of early packaging job they were using before they decided to "streamline" things.

THE 1 2 P
3DO ZERO USER

Re: Virtual Vivid - Alternate packaging

Post by THE 1 2 P » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:14 am

This is one of the reasons I joined this site, to find out more info about this. I've always heard that the only version of the Virtual Vivid sampler came in a generic jewel case packaging. So you can imagine my surprise when I found this version a few years ago.

And let me elaborate for those who don't have this but who are curious as to whats underneath the wrapping. The packaging folds out like a booklet. The front cover and inside left side(behind the cover) both have covers of currently released Vivid games for 3DO and PC as well as several upcoming games, many that never received releases. The Virtual Vivid disc itself rest in a white disc sleeve thats attached/adhered to the inside right side of the booklet. Underneath that are controller instructions and Vivid Interactives contact number.

Lastly(and I'm not sure if every version came this way or just mine) theres another two-sided(well four-sided) booklet that features more pictures of released and upcoming Vivid Interactive 3DO/PC games but this one has released dates for everything, even the stuff that never got released.

It was an interesting find and it's nice to know I'm not the only one who has one. Although now I'm curious as to how many of them are actually out there.