3DO FZ-1 Review

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

senjaru
3DO ZERO USER

3DO FZ-1 Review

Post by senjaru » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:15 pm

Hey guys! I recently did a Youtube review on the 3DO, and since you guys are the authority on all things 3DO, I really would like to know your opinion on it! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rWTavyQ ... plpp_video

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:07 pm

I just watched your review. It was a little shallow but most are so thats nothing personal, but you did cover the things that made it more unique than its competitors, and the fact it wasnt designed as purely a gaming console, but as an audio/video entertainment system, that was good. By the way, the rear expansion port is for the external memory module, and perhaps other planned accessories which i dont think saw the light of day.

I found it slightly annoying that the volume changed quite drastically from when you are on the camera and when you arnt, i had to put the volume down quite a bit.

You have your own style of reviewing (from this only review ive seen of yours) and that is good, some of your antics were funny, but some were not, but thats just personal preference. Its good to have your own style, and at least you werent going overboard like that angry nintendo nerd guy.

You did cover a good selection of different genre games for the system, which is also a good thing in a system overview kind of review, focusing away from the "fact" 3DO only had crappy FMV games, a popular misconception..

Overall it was a good review, and i would encourage you to keep doing them. The technical issues with the sound im sure you can fix, and the antics is just down to personal preference, so you've done a good job overall in my opinion!

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:55 pm

- You say £600, it was $600 right? Slip of the tongue i guess. (Happens to me.) 3DO launched in the UK for £399 which was the same price as a Commodore Amiga A1200, (the same price the A500 launched at) and the same price the Sega Saturn when it launched. People forget that. The PS1 was a little cheaper at £299, which was the same price as the Atari jaguar. Panasonic 'sold' 3DO at the same price as high end audio equipment, which, from a certain point of view (Panasonics) it was. The 'high price' argument to the 3DO's failure only applies to the USA, where it was at a higher price for a year longer than the UK. In the UK 3DO launched at £399 but was soon (within a year) at £299 and after that a very palatable £199 via the FZ10

- They weren't aiming for a multimedia. It was called the 3DO Interactive Multiplayer. It was supposed to play games, do video (VCD) and play music. And it did. Interestingly, Sony ditched this multimedia shenanigans in favour of promoting the PS1 as a 'Games Console' after 3DO failure.

- FMV wasn't tradition, it was new and exciting. It was obligatory.

- FMV for Road rash: The purple tint was cool back in 1993. Trust me.

- Don't get Road Rash, get Need for Speed or Wing Commander 3.

- Powers Kingdom is ace. You are right.

- Gaff? f**kin' Gaff? Really? Gaff? The tourists won't understand that.

- It's pronounced: "Sa-Mu-Rai. Show-down." The UK school system is broken.

- My spirit burns like the sun, and i shall dry you like a prune makes perfect sense, up against the Powers Kingdom manual. Which you obviously didn't read.

I like the video matey. I admire you hard work. :)

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:08 pm

I dont understand, 3DOkid... Isnt supporting video, music and games multimedia? I mean, video is a media, music is another, game could be argued third media, or a combination of the two.. I always got the impression of the 3DO ads of the day that they did try to launch it as a multimedia player. An entertainment center playing music cd's, v-cd's and games all in one system. Not to mention the Kodak photo cd's

In my opinion that made many "gamers" overlook it...

And i got "gaff"... My english slang knowledge must be better than average for a "tourist" hehe..

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:47 pm

Yeah, I thought it was also supposed to do photo cds? That sounds like multimedia to me. :lol:

(Shoot, I shouldn't have said that.. I sense a ban request!)

Speaking of Guardian War, I need to sit down and really try to get through that game. It's been on the agenda for the last, oh, I don't know, 16 yars, but I still haven't done it.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:54 am

Yeah ive had Guardian War for longer than i remember too, and have yet to actually play it...

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:00 am

Austin wrote:Yeah, I thought it was also supposed to do photo cds? That sounds like multimedia to me. :lol:

Speaking of Guardian War, I need to sit down and really try to get through that game. It's been on the agenda for the last, oh, I don't know, 16 yars, but I still haven't done it.
Yes Austin, that was my point. It wasn't aiming for multimedia, it WAS multimedia.

Austin

Post by Austin » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:23 am

Ah, I see. For some reason I misinterpreted it. :)

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:43 am

Austin wrote:Ah, I see. For some reason I misinterpreted it. :)
You and everyone else.

So, obviously it's all of your faults and not mine (*ahem) :oops:

ArfredHitchcacku
3DO ZERO USER

Re: 3DO FZ-1 Review

Post by ArfredHitchcacku » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:56 am

senjaru wrote:Hey guys! I recently did a Youtube review on the 3DO, and since you guys are the authority on all things 3DO, I really would like to know your opinion on it! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rWTavyQ ... plpp_video
Maybe the best looking, classiest video game system model of all time. I only have an FZ-10 but feel like going out of my way for this one. Not until I have a Turbografx16 and Sega Master System though. Thanks for the contribution!
BAD

-Alfred Hitchcock Presents, 3DO

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:16 am

3DOKid wrote:
Austin wrote:Yeah, I thought it was also supposed to do photo cds? That sounds like multimedia to me. :lol:

Yes Austin, that was my point. It wasn't aiming for multimedia, it WAS multimedia.
Then i understand too.

Austin

Post by Austin » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:36 am

Just got around to watching it. Overall, it was a fun review, albeit a relatively casual affair.

My main recommendations would be to, A) invest in a USB capture device. You should be able to get something for between $20 - $40 USD. Even the stupid-cheap EZ Cap devices will land you a better picture than pointing your cam at a television or monitor; B) Do a quick Wiki search on whatever platform you are covering prior to shooting to verify at least the basics, like release, pricing, etc. It's easy to forget the details, so it doesn't hurt to do a quick refresher; C) Like it's been mentioned, even out the audio levels better. If it's hard to do so, you might want to even consider just holding your mic while doing the face-to-face sessions. It's not that embarrassing, and will sound a lot better, not to mention it will be easier to match the levels. D) Most camcorders have a slot underneath them for a tripod. Think about getting one if you can--even the tiny ones. Shouldn't be expensive, and it will keep your console footage parts from shaking a lot.

Yeah, a lot of "complaints" I guess, but really, it's a great video for being one of your first. To put it into perspective, it took me two years to figure these things out. :oops: :lol:

senjaru
3DO ZERO USER

Post by senjaru » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:51 am

Thanks guys!! Yeah I actually spent a lot of time on the audio, but for some reason it dudnt come out right in the final render :L And im definetly looking into getting a capture device, trying to figure out which one is the best option for me :)

Thanks for all the feedback! I hope you guys will maybe sub or check out my channel often, im gonna review wing commander 3 at some point, and have various sketches and top 10s! Oh and any suggestions for 3DO games that would make an interesting review are welcome!

Dreygor
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dreygor » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:46 am

Space Hulk is a must!
Become part of The 3DO Initiative! <-- Click on link!

senjaru
3DO ZERO USER

Post by senjaru » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:35 pm

Dreygor wrote:Space Hulk is a must!
Is that the game based on Warhammer?

Dreygor
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dreygor » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:54 pm

Yup!

Austin

Post by Austin » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:22 pm

senjaru wrote:Thanks for all the feedback! I hope you guys will maybe sub or check out my channel often
Yep, done! :)

senjaru
3DO ZERO USER

Post by senjaru » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:25 pm

Austin wrote:
senjaru wrote:Thanks for all the feedback! I hope you guys will maybe sub or check out my channel often
Yep, done! :)
Thanks a lot man!! Really means a lot :D

Dreygor
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dreygor » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:30 pm

Subscribed also :)

senjaru
3DO ZERO USER

Post by senjaru » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:18 pm

Dreygor wrote:Subscribed also :)
Thanks!! Really helps me out :D

senjaru
3DO ZERO USER

Post by senjaru » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:23 am

Once again thank you so much to anyone thats subbef or helped share my video, it means a lot!!

senjaru
3DO ZERO USER

Post by senjaru » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:19 pm

My next videos going to be a review of the game gear - Wing Commander is gonna take some time to give it justice!