Box Type List

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Dreamstate
3DO ZERO USER

Box Type List

Post by Dreamstate » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:17 pm

Hi,
New to 3DO collecting and I can't seem to find a list anywhere saying what the packaging for each game was. I wanted to know if it was
1) Clam/Snap boxes with no jewel case
2) Long Cardboard Box with Jewel case AND insert
3) Long Cardboard Box with Jewel case No insert
4) Jewel case only
5) Something I don't know about yet

Anyone have this or know where I could find it? Thanks!

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:30 am

no list i know of
i just go with this thought

95% of US released games came in long boxes with a jewel case inside with or without the backing insert (except for Dragon Lore had the cardboard sleeves for the 3 cds) or the snap boxes with the CD holder
i never seperated those or have the differences mentioned in any of my game lists :)

jewel case only is a much smaller list
all the Adult Vivid titles are a cardboard sleeve over a jewel case,
Mind Teazzer came in a big box and in jewel case only form

--3 volumes of Woody Woodpecker
--Panasonic Real Sampler CD
--3DO Interactive sampler #1 thru 4 in a folded cardboard sleeve
- Sample This
--3DO Buffet - cardboard sleeve
--Gex - not for resale version is jewel case only because its a pack in game
-- Killing Time - (SAVE BUG FIX COPY) black CD in a plain jewel case

anyone else want to add to this list? ;)
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

Silentman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Silentman » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:22 am

Look here for full list of US releases.

Unusual boxes:
Gunslinger Collection (3 games in 1 box)
Maniac Pack (4 games in 1 box)
Action Pack (4 games in 1 box)
Game Guru (fat box)
Zhadnost (fat box with free controller)
Slope Style (slim box)

Dreamstate
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dreamstate » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:18 pm

Interesting information. Thanks. So, based on this information, if I get a game in a jewel case it should really have an insert (other than the listed exceptions). The snap case games would not have jewel cases so no inserts as well. Are there games released in both snap and standard boxes?

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:36 am

here is a list i made up of what i have, all info is in the TXT file
all the ones with the --------------------- in front of the game i need help with as alot of my games were put together by pieces, and anything else i might have wrong if you see it
or maybe a better way to organize that list

just right click/save as on the paper icon from the following link
3DO game box styles

here are some examples of the box styles

and here is a thing you might want to keep an eye out for, the maniac pack games have a color stripe down the middle and are not the same look as the originals
i bought 1 game off ebay long ago (battle chess) and it came with the maniac pack game inside, so i had to buy it again and now ask for a picture of the cd if it didnt have one

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:42 am

Yeah, I ended up in a trade and got the WotW disc like that and was so sad. But luckily I traded it for the cool CD!
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Dreamstate
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dreamstate » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:18 pm

Thanks a ton for the info. Wow, that is a lot of variations. I appreciate everyone's help!

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:56 pm

I think, given the fact there are SO MANY different versions of packaging for 3DO titles, (seven if you include titles that came in jewel cases only) the 3DO wins for "most revisions to packaging" of any console I can think of.

ssj
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ssj » Mon May 28, 2012 5:43 am

I just came across this thread when looking for just about the same thing! It's great that someone already took the time to make such a list.

I was also curious about box dimensions, is there a list with these? Do you know how many different box dimensions are there for each of the box types?

Dreygor
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dreygor » Mon May 28, 2012 6:23 am

If someone could help me out with the box dimensions for..

Snow Job
Zhadnost
Mind Teazzer
Slopestyle
Dragon Lore
Cannon Fodder

I know these boxes are'nt the standard size I was just wondering what the actual dimensions are.
Become part of The 3DO Initiative! <-- Click on link!

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:32 pm

Ive heard that Bach has a unique type of box for it. Could anyone please take pictures of their copy and share those? Ive never seen that game, but heard it has some different "features" compared to the other clamshell/snap-type box ala Road Rash.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:54 pm

here are 2 pics of CPU bach, the cd slides up on a piece of cardboard, and if i had a manual i think it would slide in that middle piece :)
Image Image

and to Dreygor, the height and width on these boxes are the same, these are just thinner or thicker

snow job is 1 1/2 inches thick
Zhadnost is 2 1/2 inches thick
Slopestyle is 3/4 inch thick
cannon fodder is just like jurassic park clam shell box
the Dragon Lore box is a normal size box, just with 3 cardboard sleeves to hold the cds

i dont have a mind teazzer box

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:02 am

Thanks lemmi, that is an unusal box indeed.

Dreygor
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dreygor » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:30 pm

Thnx Lemmi !

Your right, however some of my boxes are taller than others. But with that said they seem to be within a quarter inch of each other (3/8ths of an inch max).

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:22 am

Lemmi wrote:... and if i had a manual i think it would slide in that middle piece :)
You are correct sir. The manual drops down into it, this is one of my favorite box designs. In fact I happen to have it in front of me right now as I haven't put it back after re-ripping it for 4DO.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:26 am

My favourite box is the one they used for Need for Speed for example. Its the most sturdy one, it has nothing on it that will break or get scuffed from normal use, and it looks good. Generally i dont like that most companies prior to the CD age used cardboard boxes for their games, as these are often manhandled by careless owners, but why 3do in USA stuck with paper when the competition, and other region 3DO moved on to plastic cd cases i will never understand. I know it wasnt really up to 3DO itself, but the companies who created games for it made poor packaging decisions.

This is one thing i like about the Sega Megadrive, on the whole, they used sturdy plastic cases for their games, with few exceptions. I dont see many of these broken. Ive got maybe 20 boxed games so far, and only 1-2 have broken cartridge holders inside. They dont cost much. Boxed snes games that look halfway decent and are comparable games, cost more..

Thankfully, 3DO longboxed games arnt THAT expensive yet. But it does keep the amount of games i buy low, since they are more expensive than their jewelcase siblings, and i do prefer the longbox...

Hound
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Hound » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:09 pm

What, you don't love those Dennis Miller and Flashback boxes that crush like tissue paper if you so much as look at them? Come on, all those crushed flat boxes save so much space! Or the Snowjob box with no internal support whatsoever and sized far too big for anything short of a 10 cd game? Or the World Cup Golf box that needs to be kept in an antigrav stasis field because the black coating cracks, crinkles and creases making the box look horrendous?

Actually, you wanna see a horrendously designed weak box, look at the Record of Agarest War really naughty edition box. I don't think you'll ever find one, even straight from the factory that isn't bent, ripped, crushed, creased or any combination of those.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:18 am

Hound wrote: Or the Snowjob box with no internal support whatsoever and sized far too big for anything short of a 10 cd game?
Snowjob actually has very sturdy cardboard internal support, but your point is well taken.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

MakillaGorilla
3DO ZERO USER

Post by MakillaGorilla » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:58 pm

My main problem with the 3DO packaging is the amount of inconsistentcy that came with buying the games. If you buy some NES games, you can buy cartridge only and (for the most part) the games are uniform in size and design (except Tengen and all the bible games and so on). With 3DO, you can buy jewel case only if you want, but some games (Like Dragon Lore) make that impossible. Same with something like Star Control II, am I going to put a blank jewel case with just a disc on my shelf?

So, for the sake of keeping your collection consistent, you have to spring for the longboxes, which are not easy to find in decent shape. The hunt is worth it, don't get me wrong, it just makes it frustrating when I see 12 games I want, and I have to pass because they don't have all their packaging.
'Did that guy just say he thinks rings are cool!?!?'

Most Desired Games:
-Out of This World (longbox) -Alone in the Dark (longbox) -Lucienne's Quest (longbox) -Killing Time (longbox) -Robinson's Requiem (longbox) -Strahl (longbox) -Dragon Lore (longbox) -Star Control II (longbox) -Sailor Moon (JPN) -Doctor Hauzer (JPN) -Montana Jones (JPN)

Dreamstate
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dreamstate » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:44 pm

You know, I would love to have the master list updated a bit. Lemmi has a great list that is very far along, but there are specific questions listed and items with unknown variation statuses listed. It would be great to get this posted up, stickied, and added to by the site guru's who seem to have every game and would be able to verify some of the information. Any love on in this area?

Dreygor
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dreygor » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:39 am

Thought I would post info on one of the odder boxes..

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:45 am

Not to derail, but what do you think of the Zhadnost controller? Despite having dozens of 3DO pads, I amazingly don't have this one. I'm especially curious about the d-pad as it looks unique.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Dreygor
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dreygor » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:53 am

It's actually much more comfortable to hold than the controllers that come with the FZ-1, FZ-10, or the Goldstar systems. I have heard that the Capcom 6 button mail in controller is the most comfortable but I have yet to find one for a descent price. Truth be told I want the FZ-JS1 arcade style controller but that's a little out of my price range for now.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:03 am

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a good controller, and looks cool too. I'll have to pick one up.

Yeah, the digital stick controller is swet, but way expensive. I ended up getting mine from Japan. I used the cheapest s&h available, and saved a ton of money! Took forever to arrive, but worth the extra cash.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:33 pm

OH! I almost forgot I have "The San Diego Zoo Presents...The Animals!" in a cardboard sleeve.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:35 pm

3DO Experience wrote:OH! I almost forgot I have "The San Diego Zoo Presents...The Animals!" in a cardboard sleeve.
A few titles had sleeves in the boxes instead of jewel cases ... Oceans Below was another one.