From 3DO... where do you go?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

goldenband
3DO ZERO USER

Post by goldenband » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:22 pm

Austin wrote:So then, Phil.. That means you wouldn't mind parting that Mortal Kombat Trilogy out for, oh I don't know.. $10? :lol:

(j/k of course.. unless you really want to! ;) :P )
Haha! :D I'm keeping that one, at least for now, and all the Saturn games I got -- even though I don't have a Saturn yet. But the SNES and N64 games I didn't already own are coming to a sale thread on AA or NA, though I have to figure out pricing -- Nintendo prices have gone so nuts of late, and I want to chart a path between the Scylla and Charybdis of douchey overpricing and foolish underselling.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:46 am

Figures the types of games I'm not looking for will be the ones for sale.. ;) :P

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:05 am

goldenband wrote:... though I have to figure out pricing -- Nintendo prices have gone so nuts of late, and I want to chart a path between the Scylla and Charybdis of douchey overpricing and foolish underselling.
That's why I prefer trades.
Last edited by 3DO Experience on Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:16 pm

3DOKid wrote:It's true. Whatever the Jag didn't get in terms of a genre, the 3DO did. And vice-verse.
Okay, I tried to let this one go - and I do realize what a faux pas it is to respond to it at this point - but I can't help myself. I have to say: I don't get it.

I mean, I see how the 3DO has some good point-and-click adventures, where the Jaguar has none. And how the 3DO has several outstanding RPGs, where the Jaguar got only the drab Towers II. And how the 3DO had at least a couple good one-on-one fighters, where the closest the Jag got to a good fighter is Ultra Vortek. I likewise recognize the 3DO's supply of rail shooters, interactive movies, golf games, and light gun games, all of which are in short supply at best on the Jaguar. But what does the Jaguar have that the 3DO doesn't? The only thing I can think of is pinball games.
goldenband wrote:Haha! :D I'm keeping that one, at least for now, and all the Saturn games I got -- even though I don't have a Saturn yet.
To be honest, unless you're a hardcore Shining series fan like myself, you may as well sell Shining Wisdom. The gameplay is pretty dull and requires way too much button mashing; I feared that my Saturn controller would break before I got through the game.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:50 pm

Martin III wrote: But what does the Jaguar have that the 3DO doesn't? The only thing I can think of is pinball games.
Well, off the top of my head ...

3DO does have a lot of shooters, but it doesn't have any shump's. The Jag has Raiden.

3DO doesn't have any top down driving games, but the Jag has Power Drive Rally. Jag's Super Burnout also offers split screen racing, which the 3DO lacks in Road Rash (I don't count BC Racers)

3DO dooesn't have old arcade classics, but the Jag has Tempest 2000, Missile Command 3D, Breakout, etc...

Val D'lsere Skiing and Snowboarding is a Jag game that has no 3DO equivalent ...

Also, a few of the big games of the day that 3DO missed the Jag picked up (NBA Jam, Rayman, etc ...)

Maybe more if you look at the Jag cd, although I don't really count it.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Austin

Post by Austin » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:54 pm

Martin III wrote:But what does the Jaguar have that the 3DO doesn't? The only thing I can think of is pinball games.
Two pretty good mech games. 2D-based racers (Super Burnout, Val D'Isere, Power Drive Rally), playable pinball games (not to say that they are great or anything), more platformers, and I think more "pick-up-and-play" type of games. Oh, and Tempest 2000. And Raiden. And a good port of DOOM. ;)

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:24 am

Austin wrote: playable pinball games (not to say that they are great or anything)
I dunno ... Pinball Fantasies is pretty great imho. :wink:
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Austin

Post by Austin » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:34 am

Trev wrote:
Austin wrote: playable pinball games (not to say that they are great or anything)
Yeah.. I used to really like it, but it's been very difficult to go back to it since I started playing real pinball. Some of the physics in PF make no sense, which gives you little flexibility in how you can play it.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:01 pm

Austin wrote:
Trev wrote:
Yeah.. I used to really like it, but it's been very difficult to go back to it since I started playing real pinball
Real Pinball ... I hope you don't mean this ... :P

Austin

Post by Austin » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:19 pm

No, more like this:

:lol:

Fenix
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Fenix » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:30 pm

I think the way to go is Turbografx... I have been collecting that for a while now. It's a very impressive system for its time, and games are hard to find outside of srewbay. It's defiantly something you should try if you haven't.
"IF SOMEONE ASKS YOU IF YOUR A GOD... YOU SAY YES!"

AfterDark3DO

Post by AfterDark3DO » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:36 pm

I would go with Sega CD and Jaguar, in that order.

The Sega CD is a console that has always appealed to me due to the big number of FMV games (Mad Dog, Sewer Shark, Prize Fighter, etc.) and finding some kind of connection between it and the 3DO.

Jaguar is a console that has always intrigued me, but sadly there is handful of games worth having (according to me), but would be way cool to have it nonetheless.

I have given up on systems like SNES, Genesis, also 8-bit and over 32-bit ones.

Austin

Post by Austin » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:13 pm

AfterDark3DO wrote:I have given up on systems like SNES, Genesis, also 8-bit and over 32-bit ones.
I am sorry. That sounds like a very sheltered life. :P

AfterDark3DO

Post by AfterDark3DO » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:25 am

Austin wrote:
AfterDark3DO wrote:I have given up on systems like SNES, Genesis, also 8-bit and over 32-bit ones.
I am sorry. That sounds like a very sheltered life. :P
Luckily I compensate with women and alcohol :D .

TheRealAnubis
3DO ZERO USER

Post by TheRealAnubis » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:40 am

I like the Sega Saturn. It has some fun titles, and you can mod it with Racketboy's mod to make it read cd-r's and foreign titles. If you are interested in modding it, make sure you buy the right Saturn! (Check Racketboy's page online).

Anyway, it's fairly easy to find, and the games are pretty fun too. 8)

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:54 am

Lucky for me I found a much better CD-R mod that doesn't even require you to solder it to the board. It would be nice to have a forgin disc mod I have a cart for that, and you can change the region if you rip the CD as well. It really is a great system, I wish I hadn't overlooked it back in the day.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

TheRealAnubis
3DO ZERO USER

Post by TheRealAnubis » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:03 pm

3DO Experience wrote:Lucky for me I found a much better CD-R mod that doesn't even require you to solder it to the board. It would be nice to have a forgin disc mod I have a cart for that, and you can change the region if you rip the CD as well. It really is a great system, I wish I hadn't overlooked it back in the day.
Sounds good! The soldering was minimal, though - and I never mind getting into the hardware with a hot iron... Anyway, it is a pretty fun system, and I find controllers and stuff all the time at the thrift stores.

Thinking about it, I may have to give the Saturn the heatsink treatment as well.. I'm convinced that everything could use a heatsink and that it will result in a longer life!

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:43 pm

LET'S DIG THIS ONE BACK UP...
just for the interest of discussions sake.

Where does one go, from the 3DO?

I still think the Jaguar is a great choice, because as others have said, I feel it's collection compliments the 3DO's very nicely. Both systems together make for some very obscure, unusual and fresh gaming experiences imo.

Also, I think going down the 'collecting western release titles for the Saturn' is a good logical step too. If you want to still maintain a collection that has a combination of truly great outstanding titles nicely contrasted with titles that wouldn't look out of place in your 3DO collection (like Crusader, Titan Wars, Blazing Dragons, Chaos Control etc had they been released on 3DO), collecting PAL/US Saturn games is a nice progression onward from your 3DO.

For a 3DO gamer, I wouldn't say the TGFX/PCE is a logical step at all, nor would something like a NeoGeo CD either for example, as the style of games is completely different!

Presumably the MEGA-CD and CD-I are safe bets also, but surely there are many parallels between the MEGA-CD and 3DO vs something 'different' like a Saturn or Jaguar? Also, I owned a CD32 briefly, and personally, as lover of the 3DO & Jaguar, it really wasn't for me. It was just... sh*t, if I was honest. If you want an Amiga, buy an Amiga - not a CD32...