No picture or sound from Wii, turns on but won't take CD

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

No picture or sound from Wii, turns on but won't take CD

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:49 pm

So I playing was NES and felt like reading back issues of Nintendo Power, then I saw a game I wanted in Wiiware so I turn on the system, downloaded it. Played for a bit and then put in Wario Land Shake It. I played for a few hours then turned off the system for the night. I get up this morning and it was a little slow to come on but it eventually booted up. I thought this was strange but didn't think too much of it.

I read some of the news and then started playing more Wario Land Shake It. While I was playing the screen went blank and there was not sound. the Wiimote would only flash so I went up to the system and tried to restart, noting happened. I ejected the disc and then held the power button, it turned off. I turned it back on and I get no picture, no sound and it won't pull a disc in. I can now turn it on with the Wiimote but not off, I have to hold the power button for 5 seconds. I called Nintendo, $75 for a repair if I drop it off, another $6 if mailed.

For $81 on a repair I might as well buy a used Wii (I'd get a red one this time) but I'll loose all my save games. Plus the Wii U is right around the corner.

I've looked online and find almost no real help except one post that says I might have to replace the blue tooth module, but like I said I can still turn the system on with the Wiimote.

I've done the "unplug everything for two minutes" thing. Anyone have any ideas?
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:45 pm

You might try waiting longer than 2 minutes when you unplug stuff. While I've never had it happen to me just like you described, I think 15 minutes might be a better gague (Don't ak me why, I seem to remember reading that, although I'm not sure where)
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:08 pm

I will try that. I have another Wii hooked up at the moment so now that Wiimote no longer can synch with my Wii. I just found a step by step guide for replacing the Bluetooth module and there is a busted up Wii here that I can rip apart. With permission that is, as the Wii I'm playing now and the one that's in worse condition than mine is are both a friend's. I'll ask her later tonight.

With the Wii U coming out and trying to convince myself to buy it on day one I'm not that heartbroken, but my save files are my big concern. I thought to myself last night as I downloaded Castlevania ReBirth that I should put all this on a SD card. Looks like I should have acted on the thought then and there.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:08 pm

Aren't you a Club Nintendo member? You can retrieve your downloads through them, although it is a pain.

Wii U is tempting ... If it were me, Id probably just replace it if only so I could use my GC controllers for certain games.

Hope you can get if fixed!
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:07 am

Yeah my downloads, but none of my save files! I'll have to start some games all over again. :( Life has been sucking recently. Luckily Austin has been making it a little better.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:19 am

Yeah, I got a package from Austin a few days ago. Been having fun w/a bunch of games (except for ET for the 2600, but what did I expect?)

Did you have a lot of saves?

Babham
SPAMMER

Post by Babham » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:30 pm

I am also facing the same problem of sound. I am searching for its solution but found no any yet. I hope I will get the solution of my problem. Thank you so much for posting here the problem.
qualified and authentic MLB PICKS

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:30 am

I don't know if this is the actual fix for the problem. I guess I won't know until I fix it.

Austin really is a great guy. You should listen to his podcast.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:21 am

3DO Experience wrote: Austin really is a great guy. You should listen to his podcast.
I subscribe to him on Youtube.

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:05 pm

Nintendo was very willing to bargain on repair prices when my Wii took a crap. I stopped getting any picture from it. I think they originally wanted $75, then they knocked it down to something like $60 when I said that was an awful lot. Then I hemmed and hawed and asked "I dunno... Can you do any better than that?" they knocked it down to $50 shipped. At that point, I figured it was worth it.

So, don't be afraid to ask for a better price.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:24 pm

I think you can backup your save files to your SD card, then transfer them over to your new unit. (I know you can at least do that for your Miis.) Your downloaded purchases will be wiped, though, although I have heard people successfully getting transfers by calling Nintendo and raising hell.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:27 pm

Yeah, the downloads are linked to your account. But I can't copy my save games unless the system is working. $50 is more than I want to pay for a repair. $30 would be my max. At $50 I'll just be sad and then buy a Wii U instead.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:31 pm

Ah, I must not have read the entire post. I thought the system was functioning, just the CD drive was toast.

*edit: yeah, I definitely didn't read the whole thing. :lol: