Dubs or Subs?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Dubs or Subs?

Post by Martin III » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:12 pm

I figure this can be a more general topic on the issue of 3DO localizations, but for the moment, the question that has caught my curiosity is: Is the Japanese version of Demolition Man dubbed? I'm wondering because I imagine the cast with Japanese voice dubbing would be pretty funny.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:52 pm

My wife is Japanese, and in my experience there is nothing funny about the language. It always sounds (to my western ears) very serious and slightly threatening. Very very abrupt sounding language.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:11 pm

Personally i find japanese beautiful to listen to.

As for dubbing, i once saw a film with Arnold Swarzenegger dubbed to german. Lets just say the voice sounder more like the oposite of what arnold looks like, and it wasnt one of his comedy acts.. That was funny.

I think subtitles is the only way to go.. You change the film significantly with voice actors trying to do the role all over again. Its not just simply reading lines.. Voice actors are actors in their own right, just look at modern video games, or animated films and cartoons..

I dont watch dubs unless i have NO other choice. And i go out of my way to try and find that choice.

Jones
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Jones » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:35 pm

grimm wrote: As for dubbing, i once saw a film with Arnold Swarzenegger dubbed to german. Lets just say the voice sounder more like the oposite of what arnold looks like, and it wasnt one of his comedy acts.. That was funny.
The funny thing actually is, that Arnold never got asked to dub his own
voice - though he speaks German as a native speaker! So not enough
that his English sounds, uh, threatening, even his mother language
German was decided to get replaced by someone else's! :-)

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:17 pm

3DOKid wrote:My wife is Japanese, and in my experience there is nothing funny about the language. It always sounds (to my western ears) very serious and slightly threatening. Very very abrupt sounding language.
That's exactly why I think it would be funny. Demolition Man isn't exactly a heavy drama.

Also, I just realized that I didn't specify that I was asking about the 3DO game Demolition Man, and that someone might think I was asking about the film.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:31 pm

I like dubs if they are done decently. I remember first playing the Pal version of Shenmue 2 on my DC which has subtitles. When I later picked it up for Xbox, I really appreciated the English speech.

For games like Robinson's Requiem though, I might prefer all text. :P
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

FUJISAN
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FUJISAN » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:22 am

No, Stallone who talks in Japanese feels sense of incongruity too. :)

Although it was the same voice actor as the time of television broadcasting of Stallone's movie being carried out in Japan.
Because I make a note using translation software, I think that it becomes a poor English sentence.
I'm sorry.

If there is rude expression, please point it out.
Thanking you in advance.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:26 pm

FUJISAN wrote:No, Stallone who talks in Japanese feels sense of incongruity too. :)

Although it was the same voice actor as the time of television broadcasting of Stallone's movie being carried out in Japan.
Belated thanks for the info, Fujisan! That's cool that they got the same voice actor to play him.