3DO ZERO USER

Post by Jones » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:10 pm

"It'll amaze your friends, just don't let them play for too long."

LOL
:D

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:02 pm

What mag is this from? I like the layout, although the review seems a bit harsh ... what were they judging it against? Appreciate the scans.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:40 am

Computer and Video Games is the mag. Fondly remembered as C&VG. It's purely an online magazine these days. I don't profess to have ever been a fan of the layout but it had echo's of the highly tongue in cheek style of the 1980's Your Sinclair and Crash which contained a healthy disrespect for the reader, the game makers, the industry and themselves. Very very funny magazines.

When Edge came along it was more professional and sober. Which at the time was pretty refreshing but a lot was lost in the transition from the, what were, professional Fanzines of the 80s and the more analytical Edge style.

Edge in the UK was something of a king maker, or at least it felt it was. It was always cynical of the Jaguar but supported 3DO for a while, until it pretty much threw it's weight behind the Playstation. The Saturn had a hard time too.

Edge deny this but in my honest opinion there was almost definately a shift in mood within Edge's pages towards PSX and away from 3DO.

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:43 pm

I feel exactly the same about their sister mag - Next Generation .It was an intelligent breath of fresh air and a healthy indication the industry was growing up.However, I can never ever forgive Edge for their glowing review of Rise of the Robots. From that moment on they could go die in a hole.
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:29 pm

mattyg wrote:I feel exactly the same about their sister mag - Next Generation .It was an intelligent breath of fresh air and a healthy indication the industry was growing up.However, I can never ever forgive Edge for their glowing review of Rise of the Robots. From that moment on they could go die in a hole.

Edge in the UK gave it 2 out of 10.

(Although several months earlier they raved about the graphics and gave it a front cover too)

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:43 am

As an adult, I agree with the verdicts given at the end of the review. However, I'm sure that in 1993, the visuals alone would have knocked any kind of sensibility out of the 11 year-old me.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:58 am

Austin wrote:As an adult, I agree with the verdicts given at the end of the review. However, I'm sure that in 1993, the visuals alone would have knocked any kind of sensibility out of the 11 year-old me.
They would've. They nearly did to me in 1995. Only the advent of later 3DO software (like NFS) held me in check (that and the launch of the psx) Still a mighty impressive game for the time Crash n Burn was.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5