Alternate mouse for the 3DO?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

nixzero
3DO ZERO USER

Alternate mouse for the 3DO?

Post by nixzero » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:40 pm

I know that using Genesis/Mega Drive controllers in your 3DO is a bad idea, but has anyone tried a 9-pin serial mouse?

Obviously it would be easier to find than the FZ-JM1, and you could probably find an optical one.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Re: Alternate mouse for the 3DO?

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:55 am

Anything ever come of this?
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

nixzero
3DO ZERO USER

Post by nixzero » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:28 pm

Well, I only have one 3DO, and I'm not that gutsy, lol. Heard way too many horror stories about folks using Sega controllers and frying their systems. Maybe someone with better knowledge of the controller interface and pinouts would know if this is feasible?

Oddly enough, since writing this post I acquired a Sega CD and have had bad luck finding a good mouse for it. I found 2 locally (they only go for $6 or so), one had a broken button and the other had really jerky movement. I tried a few things to make them work, but I'm hoping to find an optical alternative there, too...

ewhac
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ewhac » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:32 am

Gammadev directed my attention to this thread:

No.

Please do not plug anything that is not 3DO-approved into a 3DO console. I know it's a DE9 connector and that those things were absolutely everywhere in the 1980's and 90's and there's lots of other 9-pin stuff that will physically fit, but, seriously, don't do it.

The electrical signals on the 3DO peripheral connector bear no resemblance to any other 9-pin connector out there. There's a serial protocol involved, but it's not RS-232. The 3DO controller has a joypad, but that doesn't mean your old 9-pin Atari 2600 joystick will work (nor will your Atari 2600 paddle knobs). No, your Sega Genesis controllers won't work any better. And although 3DO had mouse support, your 9-pin Amiga mouse won't work, either (although your Atari 2600 controllers would indeed work on your Amiga).

Seriously. The 3DO 9-pin peripheral connector was a completely unique thing, and is compatible with nothing else out there. Experimenting to prove otherwise will merely leave you disappointed and smelling of burnt resistors. Don't do it.

nixzero
3DO ZERO USER

Post by nixzero » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:37 pm

Well, I guess that's settled then. I figured the 3DO's input was pretty unique, but I was hoping something out there used the same protocol. That and the 3DOs small userbase has certainly led to some pricey peripherals, though. I picked up my 3DO (and 15 games!) for next to nothing, but my controllers were $20 each, and a mouse and lightgun would easily top $100. Guess I can't complain, though, considering the console's initial price tag. ;)

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:28 pm

Thanks ewhac.

I just added a part about this to a Technical Support FAQ I'm writing. Yes, I've been pestered into doing this. :) Seriously though I'm enjoying writing it. Mind if I add parts of that as a quote?
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"