Lost Files Of Sherlock Holmes

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:46 am

There is definite humour in the game. Not slapstick like some of the Sierra games, but more intelligent. Except maybe at the Zoo when Holmes wonders 'if the smell is from one animal, or a combination?' :P

Cool, this topic spanned a second page! 8)
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

zook1981
3DO ZERO USER

Post by zook1981 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:14 am

Trev wrote:There is definite humour in the game. Not slapstick like some of the Sierra games, but more intelligent. Except maybe at the Zoo when Holmes wonders 'if the smell is from one animal, or a combination?' :P

Cool, this topic spanned a second page! 8)
I never thought this thread would go this far, just imagine if others admired this game more. I could talk about this game all day. I finished playing it now I think I might play it through again real soon :D . One of the most impressive thing about this game is how the acting is quite good unlike alot of other 3DO games that just have horrid acting.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:28 am

zook1981 wrote:
I never thought this thread would go this far, just imagine if others admired this game more. I could talk about this game all day. I finished playing it now I think I might play it through again real soon :D
Same here. I could probably fill a thread for each individual scene! The game just packs so much genuinely good content ... each new location really commands your attention. I can't think of any filler, wasted space, or throw away puzzles in the entire game. It's just a brilliantly crafted story, and wonderfully executed game! :D
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

zook1981
3DO ZERO USER

Post by zook1981 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:49 am

Trev wrote:
zook1981 wrote:
I never thought this thread would go this far, just imagine if others admired this game more. I could talk about this game all day. I finished playing it now I think I might play it through again real soon :D
Same here. I could probably fill a thread for each individual scene! The game just packs so much genuinely good content ... each new location really commands your attention. I can't think of any filler, wasted space, or throw away puzzles in the entire game. It's just a brilliantly crafted story, and wonderfully executed game! :D
Yes and the colors and graphics are fantastic, nothing compared to today's games but the graphics have a beauty of their own. It has a sharp PC look. I also love the music, gives it a very sophisticated touch to it.

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:11 am

Thanks for this thread - I'd wrongly assumed for nearly 20 years that it was simply an upgraded version of the mega cd version. I'm definitely going to give it a whirl now !
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

zook1981
3DO ZERO USER

Post by zook1981 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:19 pm

mattyg wrote:Thanks for this thread - I'd wrongly assumed for nearly 20 years that it was simply an upgraded version of the mega cd version. I'm definitely going to give it a whirl now !
Oh yea it's definatley something different. The one for Sega CD is a totally different story too. Lost Files is only for PC or 3DO. The 3DO version is far superior too. This by far is one of the best 3DO titles out there, the only reason why it does not make the official cut for top 3DO games is because it's a complex, crime solving game and not an action game.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:07 pm

zook1981 wrote:
mattyg wrote:Thanks for this thread - I'd wrongly assumed for nearly 20 years that it was simply an upgraded version of the mega cd version. I'm definitely going to give it a whirl now !
Oh yea it's definatley something different. The one for Sega CD is a totally different story too. Lost Files is only for PC or 3DO. The 3DO version is far superior too. This by far is one of the best 3DO titles out there, the only reason why it does not make the official cut for top 3DO games is because it's a complex, crime solving game and not an action game.
I think if more people were aware of it, it might be considered a top 3DO game. The problem is (like Matty said) it is often wrongly assumed to be like the Sega Mega CD version. :shock: Just is this thread alone we've seen 3 or 4 people say how they thought it was the Sega CD game! Heck, the way I acquired the game was through picking up the Sega CD version ... it had the Sega packaging but inside was the 3DO disc (what a great mistake though! :wink: )

It's this association that no doubt plays a part in having The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes have a more limited audience, even among 3DO faithfuls. I'm thrilled that this thread is helping spread the word how different (and great!) the game actually is. :)

zook1981
3DO ZERO USER

Post by zook1981 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:19 pm

Trev wrote:
zook1981 wrote:
I think if more people were aware of it, it might be considered a top 3DO game. The problem is (like Matty said) it is often wrongly assumed to be like the Sega Mega CD version. :shock: Just is this thread alone we've seen 3 or 4 people say how they thought it was the Sega CD game! Heck, the way I acquired the game was through picking up the Sega CD version ... it had the Sega packaging but inside was the 3DO disc (what a great mistake though! :wink: )

It's this association that no doubt plays a part in having The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes have a more limited audience, even among 3DO faithfuls. I'm thrilled that this thread is helping spread the word how different (and great!) the game actually is. :)
Indeed, I myself used to mistake the Sega CD game for a version of this one as well. It was not until after a while I realized they were entirely different games. I have also noticed the price of this game has gone down on Ebay over the past few years. The first time I bought it in 2008 I had to shell out $50 to get it complete. Now I only had to spend $15 that included the long box and all. Of course it seems like most all games for 3DO went down in cost since then. You are right though about the limited audience but I think for at least 3DO lovers they can at least appreciate this game. I love the 3DO but there are only about a dozen games I actually like and own and this one makes my picky cut.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:51 am

*POSSIBLE MINOR SPOLER AHEAD*

How to get information at the pub … threaten the bartender? That’s the quickest & easiest way. But there is a solution that’s friendlier & much more fun.

Depending on how much looking around & talking takes place, you can challenge the bartender to game of darts. You’ll have to beat the house first (a trio of hysterical drunks :P ) before he’ll let you challenge him. An actual game of darts within a graphic adventure game!

I’m not sure how many people might have missed this solution as it’s harder to get to and takes longer. But I think it’s a great alternate way to solve a puzzle! :)

zook1981
3DO ZERO USER

Post by zook1981 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:27 am

Trev wrote:*POSSIBLE MINOR SPOLER AHEAD*

How to get information at the pub … threaten the bartender? That’s the quickest & easiest way. But there is a solution that’s friendlier & much more fun.

Depending on how much looking around & talking takes place, you can challenge the bartender to game of darts. You’ll have to beat the house first (a trio of hysterical drunks :P ) before he’ll let you challenge him. An actual game of darts within a graphic adventure game!

I’m not sure how many people might have missed this solution as it’s harder to get to and takes longer. But I think it’s a great alternate way to solve a puzzle! :)
Indeed it is a nice break from all talking and reading, and can be fun and also frustrating especially if you have also had a few your self while playing like how I did the other weekend :lol: . Also speaking of the two bars if you have a few drink Holmes will start slurring his words as he asks for another then Watson cuts him off LOL.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:52 am

zook1981 wrote: Also speaking of the two bars if you have a few drink Holmes will start slurring his words as he asks for another then Watson cuts him off LOL.
Wow, I'm not sure I knew that (or if I did, I'd forgotten) That's another thing thats so cool about this game ... I'm still discovering new things in it nearly 20 years later! Do you remember if it's at the Moongate, or the snooker place? (or both?) I'm gonna get Holmes hammered so I can hear it for myself. :P

zook1981
3DO ZERO USER

Post by zook1981 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:45 am

Trev wrote:
zook1981 wrote: Also speaking of the two bars if you have a few drink Holmes will start slurring his words as he asks for another then Watson cuts him off LOL.
Wow, I'm not sure I knew that (or if I did, I'd forgotten) That's another thing thats so cool about this game ... I'm still discovering new things in it nearly 20 years later! Do you remember if it's at the Moongate, or the snooker place? (or both?) I'm gonna get Holmes hammered so I can hear it for myself. :P
It's at both. Order a pint of bitter, then order another, then I think when you ask for your third or fourth the actors eyes get drowsy looking and he slurs a little as he asks for another pint of bitter, before you get it Watson chims in and stops you. Watson is such a buzz kill :lol:

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:58 pm

Very nice to be able to hear about this game. Prior to this, I myself hadn't been sure whether it was the same as the Turbo CD/Sega CD game (not that I've played that one either).

I'm a huge fan of Sherlock Holmes, and have read all four of the Doyle novels, all four of the Doyle short story collections, and even a collection of Doyle-penned obscurities with a Sherlock Holmes connection (one that stands out in my mind is "How Watson Learned the Trick", a short Holmes parody). Yet I've never taken much interest in seeing Holmes in other mediums, perhaps because I see the character as being meant for the written word. But perhaps I just don't think other creators could do his stories justice (even though Doyle himself sometimes botched the formula, as can be seen in the fact that he wrote two stories with Holmes as the narrator, to say nothing of one of the most laughably bad short stories I've ever read, "The Final Problem"). So it's good to hear that you guys consider this game a faithful conversion of Holmes and Watson's escapades. It makes me think I'll have to check this one out.

At the least, it wouldn't hurt to add another point-and-click adventure to my library; I've acquired quite the appetite for the genre of late. :D
zook1981 wrote:Indeed and the actors were serious unlike in Night Trap, Mad Dog Mccree, and Drug Wars where is seemed like they were joking around when they were acting, it almost made me mad how dumb it was.
I have to speak up here because, in Night Trap at least, the acting is exactly what it was intended to be. Night Trap is meant to be a video game, not an interactive movie, and the director was clearly keeping this approach in mind. Also, remember that Night Trap was targeted specifically at children. When making a video for children, you need acting that is more lighthearted and less intense.

I haven't played Mad Dog McCree or Drug Wars, but since both of those were originally arcade games, I would assume that similar principles apply. People don't drop a quarter into an arcade cabinet looking for Oscar-winning acting; they're looking to have fun.

zook1981
3DO ZERO USER

Post by zook1981 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:03 pm

Martin III wrote:Very nice to be able to hear about this game. Prior to this, I myself hadn't been sure whether it was the same as the Turbo CD/Sega CD game (not that I've played that one either).

I'm a huge fan of Sherlock Holmes, and have read all four of the Doyle novels, all four of the Doyle short story collections, and even a collection of Doyle-penned obscurities with a Sherlock Holmes connection (one that stands out in my mind is "How Watson Learned the Trick", a short Holmes parody). Yet I've never taken much interest in seeing Holmes in other mediums, perhaps because I see the character as being meant for the written word. But perhaps I just don't think other creators could do his stories justice (even though Doyle himself sometimes botched the formula, as can be seen in the fact that he wrote two stories with Holmes as the narrator, to say nothing of one of the most laughably bad short stories I've ever read, "The Final Problem"). So it's good to hear that you guys consider this game a faithful conversion of Holmes and Watson's escapades. It makes me think I'll have to check this one out.

At the least, it wouldn't hurt to add another point-and-click adventure to my library; I've acquired quite the appetite for the genre of late. :D
zook1981 wrote:Indeed and the actors were serious unlike in Night Trap, Mad Dog Mccree, and Drug Wars where is seemed like they were joking around when they were acting, it almost made me mad how dumb it was.
I have to speak up here because, in Night Trap at least, the acting is exactly what it was intended to be. Night Trap is meant to be a video game, not an interactive movie, and the director was clearly keeping this approach in mind. Also, remember that Night Trap was targeted specifically at children. When making a video for children, you need acting that is more lighthearted and less intense.

I haven't played Mad Dog McCree or Drug Wars, but since both of those were originally arcade games, I would assume that similar principles apply. People don't drop a quarter into an arcade cabinet looking for Oscar-winning acting; they're looking to have fun.
I zinged those because it's pretty much a personal preference of mine about the acting in a game. I am the type of person that gets annoyed very easily, and since the acting is so aweful, it would drive me nuts. The biggest problem I had with Mad Dog McCree and Drug Wars was not just the acting, it was how boring they were. The feeling I got from playing those games was I felt like it was all a joke. When I play shooters I like to get lost in a world of combat, it just almost seemed like the game was making fun out of shooters or making fun of me for playing :lol: ...... ok LOL this is getting hard to explain. Let's just say this, I do not feel involved in those games at all as I point at a actor and pull the trigger and they do some phony death move, I feel like I am playing paint ball or something.
Night Trap is in a category of it's own, the bad acting is not as hard to deal with because it's not a shooter. I only used that game as a comparison for the acting, but it's still got alot of charm to it unlike Drug Wars and Mad Dog McCree.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:45 pm

Different games call for different styles. In Off World Interceptor for example the acting is awful, but it's clearly meant to be. It's a delibarate attempt to copy Mystery Science Theater. Since I expect awful acting, it fits perfectly.

Night Trap is a game who's very plot calls for acting of a lesser caliber imo. It would almost be painful to see seasoned trained actors in those silly roles. Again, it fits the chezzy atmosphere.

With the gun games, at least Mad Dog seems to portray a fairly consistent goofiness. While it's far from great, it does give the game a bit of a campy western feel which I assume ALG was gunning for. It makes the games seem less violent when characters die with ammusing expressions on their face while uttering puns or obnoxious hollers. Crime Patrol on the other hand I didn't care for at all. It didn't seen to have any of the humour found in the Mad Dog games, and so the acting seemed worse to me even though it was much of the same cast.

With Sherlock Holmes, they are dealing w/literary icon. Not to mention a character who has been portrayed countless times on stage, in tv, film, etc ... I have higher expectations. Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes delivers.

I'm actually trying to put a review of the game together. One of the things I note is that the actors must be familiar w/performing on stage. Their use of modulation, facial expressions, etc ... They are only acting solo in front of a camera, yet they make you believe they are really interacting with each other!

Btw, I finally figured out where I know Watson from. He was (among other things) the Narrator & host for some Disney Winnie the Pooh movies & shows. He was acting from the arly 50's through the late 90's. He just passed away earlier this year. He was fantastic as Watson, and also voice him in a brief scene in the Disney classic "The Great Mouse Detective"

zook1981
3DO ZERO USER

Post by zook1981 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:56 pm

Trev wrote:Different games call for different styles. In Off World Interceptor for example the acting is awful, but it's clearly meant to be. It's a delibarate attempt to copy Mystery Science Theater. Since I expect awful acting, it fits perfectly.

Night Trap is a game who's very plot calls for acting of a lesser caliber imo. It would almost be painful to see seasoned trained actors in those silly roles. Again, it fits the chezzy atmosphere.

With the gun games, at least Mad Dog seems to portray a fairly consistent goofiness. While it's far from great, it does give the game a bit of a campy western feel which I assume ALG was gunning for. It makes the games seem less violent when characters die with ammusing expressions on their face while uttering puns or obnoxious hollers. Crime Patrol on the other hand I didn't care for at all. It didn't seen to have any of the humour found in the Mad Dog games, and so the acting seemed worse to me even though it was much of the same cast.

With Sherlock Holmes, they are dealing w/literary icon. Not to mention a character who has been portrayed countless times on stage, in tv, film, etc ... I have higher expectations. Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes delivers.

I'm actually trying to put a review of the game together. One of the things I note is that the actors must be familiar w/performing on stage. Their use of modulation, facial expressions, etc ... They are only acting solo in front of a camera, yet they make you believe they are really interacting with each other!

Btw, I finally figured out where I know Watson from. He was (among other things) the Narrator & host for some Disney Winnie the Pooh movies & shows. He was acting from the arly 50's through the late 90's. He just passed away earlier this year. He was fantastic as Watson, and also voice him in a brief scene in the Disney classic "The Great Mouse Detective"
O wow that is neat, what is his name by chance? I am also curious about who the actor is that plays Sherlock Holmes.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:06 pm

Watson is played by an actor named Laurie Main. He is my favorite actor in the game. Sherlock is played by David Davies.

Btw, some of the actors play more than one role. It's a credit to their skill (and the makeup artist, costume designer, hair stylists, etc ...) that I didn't know this until viewing the credits. :wink:

zook1981
3DO ZERO USER

Post by zook1981 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:47 pm

Trev wrote:Watson is played by an actor named Laurie Main. He is my favorite actor in the game. Sherlock is played by David Davies.

Btw, some of the actors play more than one role. It's a credit to their skill (and the makeup artist, costume designer, hair stylists, etc ...) that I didn't know this until viewing the credits. :wink:
Well that gives me an excuse to play it again in the near future, just to see the credit :wink:

Another thing to note about this game is how one's vocabulary can increase from playing this. I now use the word "impass" thanks to this game. I think this game would be great for children to play, I got the game at the age of 14 and it definately helped me and was a nice educational tool. Whoever said video games kill brain cells?!!!!! :lol:

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:05 pm

zook1981 wrote: Another thing to note about this game is how one's vocabulary can increase from playing this. I now use the word "impass" thanks to this game. I think this game would be great for children to play, I got the game at the age of 14 and it definately helped me and was a nice educational tool. Whoever said video games kill brain cells?!!!!! :lol:
No kidding, this game makes me feel smart when I play it. I love how they didn't dumb down the language for an American audience, or even for kids. It just reads and sounds so intelligent. Even playing it right now as an adult, there are times my wife and I will look at each other and ask "What's a (insert unknown word here)? :P

I also love haring expressions that are either uncomon or dated.. Watson in the pawn shop saying 'That bikes a corker' is one that comes to mind, but there are so many. It lends an extra air of authenticity to the game.

One more thing, I love how you can click on so many objects and get detailed descriptions on them. In most other graphic adventure games if you click on a picture it might just say "It's a picture" ... assuming you can even click on it at all. In this game though, I click on a picture and get a full paragraph of detailed descriptions. After reading about it, it occurs to me that this very same painting was mentioned as hanging at the Baker Steet lodgings in one of the original short stories ... :shock:

Talk about attention to detail! Such an obscure thing, mentioned only once by Doyle, and unknown to all but huge fans of Sherlock Holmes, yet it's in the game! Extra care and details like that make this game a must for fans of the literary Sherlock Holmes (I'm looking at you Martin :wink: )

zook1981
3DO ZERO USER

Post by zook1981 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:43 pm

Trev wrote:
zook1981 wrote: Another thing to note about this game is how one's vocabulary can increase from playing this. I now use the word "impass" thanks to this game. I think this game would be great for children to play, I got the game at the age of 14 and it definately helped me and was a nice educational tool. Whoever said video games kill brain cells?!!!!! :lol:
No kidding, this game makes me feel smart when I play it. I love how they didn't dumb down the language for an American audience, or even for kids. It just reads and sounds so intelligent. Even playing it right now as an adult, there are times my wife and I will look at each other and ask "What's a (insert unknown word here)? :P

I also love haring expressions that are either uncomon or dated.. Watson in the pawn shop saying 'That bikes a corker' is one that comes to mind, but there are so many. It lends an extra air of authenticity to the game.

One more thing, I love how you can click on so many objects and get detailed descriptions on them. In most other graphic adventure games if you click on a picture it might just say "It's a picture" ... assuming you can even click on it at all. In this game though, I click on a picture and get a full paragraph of detailed descriptions. After reading about it, it occurs to me that this very same painting was mentioned as hanging at the Baker Steet lodgings in one of the original short stories ... :shock:

Talk about attention to detail! Such an obscure thing, mentioned only once by Doyle, and unknown to all but huge fans of Sherlock Holmes, yet it's in the game! Extra care and details like that make this game a must for fans of the literary Sherlock Holmes (I'm looking at you Martin :wink: )
Well said. What is so funny is that my mother bought this for me when I was a kid. At first I was very weary about it and I thought it was a game I going to let collect dust. I just wanted to jame out on Killing Time and Demolition Man all day. I thought Sherlock Holmes!? C'mon mom! But when I popped it in the first thing that had me was the excellent graphics and the color. I think the graphics and color had the first part of the hold on me. This was earlier 1995 and it was right before Playstation hit the stores by September, so these graphics were steller at that point in time in 1995. After that I enjoyed the hell out of solving the mystery until I got stuck, and remained stuck until I repurchased a 3DO in 2008 and used a strategy guide :oops: . I actually enjoyed reading for a change! I hated reading as a youngster and still hate reading as an adult, but I always enjoyed reading those descriptions in this game. Especially you are basically forced to read them all as a first time gammer, because clues are sometimes buried within the descriptions.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:04 pm

The clues being buried in the descriptions are a key element that makes the conversations so interesting. For instance ...

*POSSIBLE VERY MINOR SPOLER AHEAD*

When Holmes examines Sarah's corpse and talks to Lestrade about it ... Lestrade will get the best of Sherlock when he says that 'Jack the Ripper uses a scalpel with the skill of a medical man', and asks Watson who concurs with him. :oops:

But ... if you keep examing further, Holmes sees that the wounds are actually from a serrated scalpel. If he talks to Watson aout it, the doctor will acknowledge that no medical men use such a tool. So when Lestrade attempts to knock Holmes down a peg, this time Watson will shatter his theory, and Lestrade will back peddle and sound a bit embarassed. :P

It's stuff like this, when the dialouge can be directly influenced by your actions or lack of, that make me love this game! :D

zook1981
3DO ZERO USER

Post by zook1981 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:12 pm

Trev wrote:The clues being buried in the descriptions are a key element that makes the conversations so interesting. For instance ...

*POSSIBLE VERY MINOR SPOLER AHEAD*

When Holmes examines Sarah's corpse and talks to Lestrade about it ... Lestrade will get the best of Sherlock when he says that 'Jack the Ripper uses a scalpel with the skill of a medical man', and asks Watson who concurs with him. :oops:

But ... if you keep examing further, Holmes sees that the wounds are actually from a serrated scalpel. If he talks to Watson aout it, the doctor will acknowledge that no medical men use such a tool. So when Lestrade attempts to knock Holmes down a peg, this time Watson will shatter his theory, and Lestrade will back peddle and sound a bit embarassed. :P

It's stuff like this, when the dialouge can be directly influenced by your actions or lack of, that make me love this game! :D
What I learned dialouge not only affects the outcome, it means you will be stuck in the game if you don't get it right. I had been stuck for weeks in the past because I did not get one tiny little speech thing right.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:07 am

zook1981 wrote: What I learned dialouge not only affects the outcome, it means you will be stuck in the game if you don't get it right. I had been stuck for weeks in the past because I did not get one tiny little speech thing right.
As someone who likes exhausting every possible piece of dialouge though, I prefer that over being stuck because of some obscure inventory puzzle. I've played a number of point n' click games where I could only advance by clicking on every item in my invenotry and trying to use or combine them w/something else. At least w/the dialogue, it eliminates that obscure element and the frustration that comes when solutions make no sense. Sherlock's use of observations, leading to new dialouge, leading to advancement in the game makes you feel more like an actual detective.

zook1981
3DO ZERO USER

Post by zook1981 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:52 am

Trev wrote:
zook1981 wrote: What I learned dialouge not only affects the outcome, it means you will be stuck in the game if you don't get it right. I had been stuck for weeks in the past because I did not get one tiny little speech thing right.
As someone who likes exhausting every possible piece of dialouge though, I prefer that over being stuck because of some obscure inventory puzzle. I've played a number of point n' click games where I could only advance by clicking on every item in my invenotry and trying to use or combine them w/something else. At least w/the dialogue, it eliminates that obscure element and the frustration that comes when solutions make no sense. Sherlock's use of observations, leading to new dialouge, leading to advancement in the game makes you feel more like an actual detective.
Speaking of puzzles, I am so glad this game is not loaded with annoying puzzles. I bought Sherlock Holmes for PS3 and the puzzles were a living hell. The game made me feel stupid because I could not solve 90% of the puzzles. But when it came down to solving the crime , the game just gave it to you. I did not feel like I was playing a crime solving game, it felt like a big puzzle.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:12 pm

zook1981 wrote:I zinged those because it's pretty much a personal preference of mine about the acting in a game. I am the type of person that gets annoyed very easily, and since the acting is so aweful, it would drive me nuts. The biggest problem I had with Mad Dog McCree and Drug Wars was not just the acting, it was how boring they were. The feeling I got from playing those games was I felt like it was all a joke. When I play shooters I like to get lost in a world of combat, it just almost seemed like the game was making fun out of shooters or making fun of me for playing :lol: ...... ok LOL this is getting hard to explain.
Actually, I think I'm getting a rough idea of what you mean. And sorry if my post was a bit of an overreaction. I played Night Trap for the first time not long before you joined us on these boards and "fell in love" with it, so I'm a bit quick to jump to its defense.

Back on topic... I certainly like hearing that Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes's puzzles call upon the player to do actual deduction. This is, I think, what makes the Ace Attorney games so popular. On their surface, they're no different from any other point-and-click adventure; it's the way their puzzles are tied in with the storylines that makes them such a success. And it's never good when a game's puzzles feel like bits of gameplay thrown in just to space out the bits of story.

Above all, the thought of being able to actually play as Sherlock Holmes, using his methods, is very appealing.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:34 pm

Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes is also much less expensive than Iron Angel The Return ... I'm just saying. :wink:

zook1981
3DO ZERO USER

Post by zook1981 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:17 pm

Martin III wrote:
zook1981 wrote:I zinged those because it's pretty much a personal preference of mine about the acting in a game. I am the type of person that gets annoyed very easily, and since the acting is so aweful, it would drive me nuts. The biggest problem I had with Mad Dog McCree and Drug Wars was not just the acting, it was how boring they were. The feeling I got from playing those games was I felt like it was all a joke. When I play shooters I like to get lost in a world of combat, it just almost seemed like the game was making fun out of shooters or making fun of me for playing :lol: ...... ok LOL this is getting hard to explain.
Actually, I think I'm getting a rough idea of what you mean. And sorry if my post was a bit of an overreaction. I played Night Trap for the first time not long before you joined us on these boards and "fell in love" with it, so I'm a bit quick to jump to its defense.

Back on topic... I certainly like hearing that Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes's puzzles call upon the player to do actual deduction. This is, I think, what makes the Ace Attorney games so popular. On their surface, they're no different from any other point-and-click adventure; it's the way their puzzles are tied in with the storylines that makes them such a success. And it's never good when a game's puzzles feel like bits of gameplay thrown in just to space out the bits of story.

Above all, the thought of being able to actually play as Sherlock Holmes, using his methods, is very appealing.
I actually never played Night Trap, I have only seen the game play; therefore, I could not roast too hard, I probably should have left it out of the comparison. I thought about getting it but I just don't want to pay $40-$50 for it.

Now Sherlock Holmes with the long box is only $15-$20 :wink:

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:49 pm

zook1981 wrote: Now Sherlock Holmes with the long box is only $15-$20 :wink:
At that price it's a huge steal! :)

Even if you aren't a big fan of the genre, every 3DO owner should play Lost Files at least once. It succeeds where other point n' click games fail, and Holmes is a timeless great character.

This thread is almost ready for a 3rd page ... :!:

zook1981
3DO ZERO USER

Post by zook1981 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:40 am

Trev wrote:
zook1981 wrote: Now Sherlock Holmes with the long box is only $15-$20 :wink:
At that price it's a huge steal! :)

Even if you aren't a big fan of the genre, every 3DO owner should play Lost Files at least once. It succeeds where other point n' click games fail, and Holmes is a timeless great character.

This thread is almost ready for a 3rd page ... :!:
Third page it shall be because this game should be considered at least a top 10 3DO game. There are games far less deserving that make top 10 lists. I actually think this should be in the top 5 3DO games. The only problem with the game is a lack of appreciating audience because of a lack of fans for this type of game in general. But I think this game is good enough to make many others that normally do not like this type of game to actually appreaciate it.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:46 am

It's a top 10 for me! But I do love the genre.

There are plenty of reasons why I can see people not caring much for point n' click games. The thing is though, The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes avoids most if not all of these annoying traits ...

For instance, I hate pixel hunting. Having to painstakingly sweep over the screen repeatedly in hopes of lining up the cursor just right to trigger an item ... it drive me nuts! Even my favorite game in this genre, Broken Sword, was nearly ruined by this. I wasn't even looking to see which items I could interact with, I knew exactly what I needed and yet even with the cursor directly on the item I still couldn't trigger it! :evil:

But Sherlock bypasses this annoying trait w/o making the game too easy. Click the trigger buttons and it will cycle through the hot spots. Granted I don't use this much, but it's still great to have it as an option. :)