Another VGA idiocy moment? This time Lucienne's Quest.

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Anonymous

Another VGA idiocy moment? This time Lucienne's Quest.

Post by Anonymous » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:23 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Luciennes-Quest ... 2c6b4e5819

Lucienne's Quest in a plastic case, a steal at $2500.. Anyone else getting sick of these lunatic pricejackers? This game is not worth $2500, not in a long shot..

Ive seen plenty of these VGA cased games for fantasy prices, and none of them ever seem to sell, so i dont know why they keep doing this?

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:50 pm

WOW. I guess when you can list something for free, it's worth a shot. Ambitious price though.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:34 pm

Hopefully some rich uneducated bastard wont buy this either. We dont need these elevated prices on the regular games, and certainly not fantasy prices on the rare ones.

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:06 pm

Ebay is flooded with this crap now. It's mostly big sellers that are trying to jack the prices up. Sure, no one will buy the $2,500 game, but now the $200 auction looks much more reasonable.

Neo Geo, 3DO, SNES....they all have this price jacked garbage.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:13 am

Sadly yes. Even the common place sealed jaguar games have seen lots of price jacking.. Iron Soldier was common to find at 14.99 or so from the US, now its like 20+ at least..

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:43 pm

We could all flood the seller with low offers. Maybe if he gets enough small offers (with some snarky comments thrown in as well :wink: ) It will make him think twice next time?

I've done that in the past. Maybe a comment like "Did you mean to add that extra zero? I'm guessing it must be a typo and you really want $250." Let him explain his obnoxious greed. :lol:
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:47 pm

ebay limits your low ball offers. It wont let you offer something that is not a certain percentage of the asking price.

I do that all the time though. It's actually worked on some sellers. They finally realize their price is dumb.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:51 pm

sneth wrote:evilbay limits your low ball offers. It wont let you offer something that is not a certain percentage of the asking price.

I do that all the time though. It's actually worked on some sellers. They finally realize their price is dumb.
Yeah same here. Its a pleasent suprise when it actually works. Makes me wonder how many list out of greed vs. just plain ignorance.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:14 pm

An educated guess would be they price out of their greed, and counts on other peoples ignorance to get their price. Dont underestimate peoples greed. Its ruining the world.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:27 am

As much as it sucks, I don't see this phenomenon ending any time soon.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:00 am

grimm wrote:An educated guess would be they price out of their greed, and counts on other peoples ignorance to get their price. Dont underestimate peoples greed. Its ruining the world.
I don't know, I think in this particular case it's more likely ignorance. Check out the item description. Apparently the seller had to take a lucky guess as to how many RPGs came out on the 3DO.

What's really weird to me is when a seller lists a high price "Buy it Now or Best Offer" item, but sets it to automatically reject any offer lower than the Buy it Now price. Is this some sort of trap to get really, really stupid buyers to pay higher for the item than they otherwise would?

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:55 am

Well, 2 "proper" rpg's translated to english is the common knowledge as far as i know. that guardian game being the other. In japan more were released yes, but outside of japan i think only 2? People who cant read or play japanese games, tend to disregard them when selling on the western markets..

Do educate me if im wrong though. I still stand by my comment however, mostly its greed and not ignorance setting these prices.

FUJISAN
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FUJISAN » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:42 am

2500$・・・?
If it is converted into the Japanese yen・・・:?

・・・・・・・22万円!!!!!!!????? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Why has such a situation arisen in the United States?
Incidentally the price of the market price of the new price of a Japanese version is about 1,000 yen(12$).
Because I make a note using translation software, I think that it becomes a poor English sentence.
I'm sorry.

If there is rude expression, please point it out.
Thanking you in advance.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:11 am

Well Fujisan, the person or persons behind VGA are money grabbing greedy bastards to put it bluntly. They pretend to be pseudo-authentic graders who's word is law, and thinks therefor they can charge anything they want for putting a graded game in a sealed plastic box like this.

They do this a lot with nintendo games, like rpg's etc.

Lucienne's Quest is much more expensive than the japanese version because it was released in much less quantities, and is very desirable by western 3DO gamers, as even if they could read japanese, the japanese version wont play on western 3DO's since it requires kanji..

I wish i was japanese like you, or at least read japanese well enough to play games, because you live in a country where RPG's are very common and cheap..

FUJISAN
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FUJISAN » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:50 am

>Thank you grimm :D
It is unavoidable that the software with little turn volume becomes expensive inevitably... :cry:
The same phenomenon has happened even in Japan.
The software "EIGO DE GO!" is a very rare and expensive thing.
(Although it is the children-oriented game software which is not so pleasantly ... )
Because I make a note using translation software, I think that it becomes a poor English sentence.
I'm sorry.

If there is rude expression, please point it out.
Thanking you in advance.

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:43 pm

Has anyone ever bought a VGA graded item? Who would pay for that?

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:39 pm

I wouldnt. i intend to play the games i buy, so that box is just in the way. If a sealed game isnt too expensive, ill buy that and break the seal carefully with a model knife, so the wrap is intact but the flap can be opened. But i wont pay too much for it.

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:34 am

I'm also quite against sealed games. It's all perception. I love being the first one to open retro games, but I'm gonna open them. lol

I've never seen a type of sealing that I couldn't replicate. Shrink wrap, y-seal, folded seal... i can do them all.

I've considered starting a sealing service to change the perception of the market, but I think the backlash isn't worth it. I'm not that much of a bastard.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:30 am

Personally i think on newly manufactured item, sealing is overly excessive, and its draining what little we have left in regards to resources.. Even though recycling is gaining momentum, we are throwing away much more than we recycle. Look at a tube of toothpaste, they often come inside a box, which has plastic seal all over it. All you need is a piece of aluminium inside the cap to see its unbroken and new. You dont need all that "presentation"...

Same goes for dvd's.. Ive recently purchased quite a few bundle priced dvd's at the grocery store, and they are all wrapped in plastic seal.. Why? A sticker works just as well, especially those void stickers. Much less material needed, especially on a dvd-production scale. But also been pleasantly surprised with some cases using a minimum of plastic to still hold up. Huge gaps in the plastic the shape of a recycling symbol. Very neat.

Seals are meant to be broken, so why stick with the old ways of wrapping stuff completely in it.. The stuff that already is, well cant change that, but we CAN change how we choose to do it now.. It annoyes me everytime i see excessive sealing or packaging. Like buy a package of fish. Its first sealed in a plastic bag, then stuck into a cardboardbox.. Why? why not just label the bag? "Stackability" some people say. Well, some manufacturers DO only use the plastic bag thing for food and other material, so i dont buy that..

Minimize use of this stuff.. That includes expensive VGA boxes!

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:24 am

The only sealed games I own (and it's just a few) I already own duplicate opened copies. I am a collector ... but I'm a gamer first. Video games aren't like collecting baseball cards or stamps ... they are meant to be played! My hope is that those who do find enjoyment in collecting sealed games play them as well.

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:54 am

grimm wrote:Personally i think on newly manufactured item, sealing is overly excessive, and its draining what little we have left in regards to resources.. Even though recycling is gaining momentum, we are throwing away much more than we recycle. Look at a tube of toothpaste, they often come inside a box, which has plastic seal all over it. All you need is a piece of aluminium inside the cap to see its unbroken and new. You dont need all that "presentation"...

Same goes for dvd's.. Ive recently purchased quite a few bundle priced dvd's at the grocery store, and they are all wrapped in plastic seal.. Why? A sticker works just as well, especially those void stickers. Much less material needed, especially on a dvd-production scale. But also been pleasantly surprised with some cases using a minimum of plastic to still hold up. Huge gaps in the plastic the shape of a recycling symbol. Very neat.

Seals are meant to be broken, so why stick with the old ways of wrapping stuff completely in it.. The stuff that already is, well cant change that, but we CAN change how we choose to do it now.. It annoyes me everytime i see excessive sealing or packaging. Like buy a package of fish. Its first sealed in a plastic bag, then stuck into a cardboardbox.. Why? why not just label the bag? "Stackability" some people say. Well, some manufacturers DO only use the plastic bag thing for food and other material, so i dont buy that..

Minimize use of this stuff.. That includes expensive VGA boxes!
well that's a whole other issue. Packaging has gotten quite excessive. often times it's for health and safety reasons with food. There are lots of good blogs and groups working on this though.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:32 pm

grimm wrote:Well, 2 "proper" rpg's translated to english is the common knowledge as far as i know. that guardian game being the other. In japan more were released yes, but outside of japan i think only 2? People who cant read or play japanese games, tend to disregard them when selling on the western markets..
Oh, I wasn't expecting anyone to account for foreign release only games. There are at least two other English language RPGs for the 3DO: Slayer and Deathkeep. (And as excellent as Lucienne's Quest is, Slayer kicks its butt any day. 8) ) On top of that you have games where the "RPG" label is debatable, such as Star Control 2 and Immercenary. But there's more than two altogether by any count.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:46 pm

Well packaging isnt entirely different but yes i did elaborate away from games and into general packaging much more. Healthreasons my ass. The only health requirements are from the packaging directly in contact with the food item. Anything above that is just presentation. You could easily skip the box and just use the bag for cereal too for example. Chips doesnt come double packaged, at least not here.

True, i didnt think of the western AD&D rpg's.. But then again the seller might not either. I dont even have either of them, but i do have both Luciennes Quest and Guardian War. My LQ is easily the same condition as this boxed one (except ive opened it carefully to play it) since i was lucky to find it sealed in mint condition years ago for like $100-150. I dont think its worth much more than that today personally.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:33 am

He is at it again, now he is trying to get "only" 1750 for it..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Luciennes-Quest ... 2c6b4e5819

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:49 am

I wonder how much he's racking up in eBay fees to relist it? Ha.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:30 am

No idea. hopefully a lot.

pmerrill
3DO ZERO USER

Post by pmerrill » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:55 am

I'm amused that he wants $1750 and still charges $4 for shipping.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:05 pm

pmerrill wrote:I'm amused that he wants $1750 and still charges $4 for shipping.
Well OBVIOUSLY his profits are cut to the bone. At these CRAZY discount prices he has to claw back his cost some how.. oh... wait...