Burning Soldier

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Burning Soldier

Post by Martin III » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:36 pm

Just purchased Burning Soldier, and haven't seen much discussion about it here, so I thought I would try started some so as to get me properly psyched! So, how many of you all have played this game? How does it compare to the rail shooting in Rebel Assault and Cyberia (the two rail shooters I've played thus far)? Is there a save function?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:11 pm

Burning Soldier is one of the better 3DO on rail shooters. In fact in might be my 2nd favorite behind StarBlade. It doesn't have a save function, but it doesn't really need one as it isn't too long of a game.

It is better than Rebel Assault graphically by a fairly wide margin. Rebel Assault suffered from being a lazy port, but Burning Soldier is a 3DO original and so looks sharp. It doesn't have the atmosphere that the Star Wars game has, but there is still plenty of variety from the darkness of space, to the bright city flyovers, to cramped alien corridors, etc ... Burning Soldier is also more challenging than Rebel Assault in my opinion (though not frustrating) And it has multiplayer support (although it is fairly weak)

Cyberia looks sharper, but of course it mixes the rail levels w/on foot adventure segments. Burning Soldier is straight shooting. For the sections that are directly comprable I give a slight edge to Burning Soldier thanks to more precise control, and the option to powerup your laser.

It's a pretty fun game for what it is. :)
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:41 pm

Thanks for the good word, Trev! The game arrived last night, I popped it in, and wasn't disappointed. The smooth control is a real nice change of pace from Rebel Assault and Cyberia (though I do find Rebel Assault's lock-on feature engaging in its own way). The short levels and short cutscenes makes it feel very fast-paced, but not choppy. Nice eye candy, too. It's a very simple game, but like you said, it's pretty fun for what it is.

Reading the back of the box, it's funny how both Burning Soldier and Cyberia basically plug their on-rails nature as though it was a feature. :D

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:27 pm

Martin III wrote: Reading the back of the box, it's funny how both Burning Soldier and Cyberia basically plug their on-rails nature as though it was a feature. :D
Well, thanks to the automated navigation, you can fully focus on combat. :P
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

OfManNotMachine
3DO ZERO USER

Post by OfManNotMachine » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:43 pm

I love Burning Soldier. Its a fun little game.

FUJISAN
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FUJISAN » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:02 am

The animation introduced in the intervals of a stage is beautiful! :D
Because I make a note using translation software, I think that it becomes a poor English sentence.
I'm sorry.

If there is rude expression, please point it out.
Thanking you in advance.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:02 am

FUJISAN wrote:The animation introduced in the intervals of a stage is beautiful! :D
Yeah, I totally agree. They're smooth and concise enough that they enhance the flow of the action, rather than acting as a "break" like FMVs usually do in this type of game.

Had time for another sitting with Burning Soldier, and now I'm as far as level 8. I'm starting to get the hang of the game's nuances, and I just managed to peel apart enough pages of the manual (apparently the owner got something sticky all over it - yeccch!) to learn that your life bar is restored when you're not shooting. That's not much help, since you hardly ever get the chance to stop shooting, :) but every asset helps.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:33 pm

Martin III wrote: I just managed to peel apart enough pages of the manual (apparently the owner got something sticky all over it - yeccch!)
Ewww, gross! :P

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:28 am

Made it up to level 11 but can't seem to beat that boss yet... Maybe I'll try prying a few more pages of the manual apart to see if I'm missing some key gameplay aspect. The cityscape of levels 10 and 11 really is breathtaking, though, so it's not at all a chore to have to play those levels over and over.

Also, I'm very relieved that the game gives you continues. :)

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:19 pm

I don't find there to be a ton of room for instant replayability on this one, but the game is great for what it is. It has quality sound, visuals, and solid gameplay while it lasts. Definitely one of the better FMV-based action games of the era.

oldskool
3DO ZERO USER

Post by oldskool » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:45 am

I have always loved Burning Soldier. I remember buying it when it was new and even still I enjoy it.