Kenji Eno Dead at 42

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

CRV
3DO ZERO USER

Kenji Eno Dead at 42

Post by CRV » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:04 pm

Japanese game designer and musician Kenji Eno has died of heart failure induced by high blood pressure, reports The Asahi Shimbun. Among his accomplishments, his former company Warp produced several titles for the 3DO including D and Trip'd. He was 42.

English: http://kotaku.com/5985871/game-designer ... -at-age-42
Japanese: http://www.asahi.com/obituaries/update/ ... 10302.html

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:50 pm

Wow. That's a real shame.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:13 pm

Just heard ... so young. :(

I'll have to make time to play some Trip'd this weekend.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

NikeX
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NikeX » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:19 pm

I e-mailed him a few days after the Fukushima explosions, because I was worried

high blood pressure and heart failure are typical for many becquerels of cesium 137 per Kg, potential lethal for cardio vasculare system in human body. Just saying. Cesium mimics potassium. I know it from people in Belarus.
I am very very sorry to hear that.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:53 pm

Just a heads up NikeX, you might wanna censor your email adress. You never know what people could send you.

CRV
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CRV » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:56 pm

I scanned a couple pages from the Trip'd manual:

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:59 pm

Such a sad day, and so young to boot. The man was a genius. :cry:

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:26 am

Total bummer to hear this. I guess it's time to dust off Trip'd and D and have a game night of it.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:10 am

This is a real tragedy. I became very hopeful when he came back to the gaming world, and though the only game from his new development team was a Japan-only release, I remained on the alert for new stuff from him. He had the ability to think outside the game developer's box, something that the gaming industry could use more of. I think he still had considerably more to offer the gaming world, and it's a shame that we'll never see it. All to say nothing on how hard it must be on his friends and family to lose him at such a young age.

I was already planning on playing a bit of Trip'd tonight. To my mind, Enemy Zero is by far his greatest offering, and I'm about due for a second run through the game, but my Saturn is at a friend's house right now so that's not an option. And Trip'd definitely has Eno's trademark quirkiness, both for better and worse. What other action puzzler out there has such delightfully freaky alien heads?

This is a rather trivial observation, but it's curious how the article only mentions the Saturn version of D. It wasn't the first platform the game was released for (durr), and I would assume the PC version is more well known.

Rest in peace, Mr. Eno. We'll miss you. :cry:

johnwbyrd
3DO ZERO USER

Post by johnwbyrd » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:37 am

I was incredibly sad today when I heard the news. I spent many hours at the WARP offices, and I tried hard to make sure Eno-san and Hiro-san were comfortable when they came to visit 3DO. For some reason, despite the language barrier, everyone really got along.

What I learned from the experience is that you should go with your gut in terms of giving developer support to cool people with fun ideas. These guys were just a bunch of young random Japanese kids at the time. But they were so nice and so fun that it was obvious that we had to do everything possible to help them.

Once Eno-san took me and a couple programmers to a date bar in Shinjuku. Dude dropped like 100000 yen on us in under an hour.

I'll miss him a lot.

FUJISAN
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FUJISAN » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:55 am

This news was a big shock to the extent that even a small newspaper like a local paper is treated.
He was saying at the interview at various places, such as a game magazine of Japan of those days, repeatedly, "I like 3DO and a 3DO fan."

His too early death is really regrettable.
Because I make a note using translation software, I think that it becomes a poor English sentence.
I'm sorry.

If there is rude expression, please point it out.
Thanking you in advance.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:54 pm

FUJISAN wrote:This news was a big shock to the extent that even a small newspaper like a local paper is treated.
He was saying at the interview at various places, such as a game magazine of Japan of those days, repeatedly, "I like 3DO and a 3DO fan."
Yeah, I remember even in his relatively recent interview for 1UP.com, he talked about how much he liked the 3DO company and how cool the building was and such. He definitely seemed to regret that things didn't work out better for the console.

OfManNotMachine
3DO ZERO USER

Post by OfManNotMachine » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:53 pm

Wow.

What a bummer. I always was a huge fan of his. Gonna have to play D tonight now.

FUJISAN
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FUJISAN » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:42 am

Martin III wrote:
FUJISAN wrote:This news was a big shock to the extent that even a small newspaper like a local paper is treated.
Yeah, I remember even in his relatively recent interview for 1UP.com, he talked about how much he liked the 3DO company and how cool the building was and such. He definitely seemed to regret that things didn't work out better for the console.

He did not do getting angry also when "M2 plan" is given up.
He was talking in this way.
「I obtained the good dream from Panasonic. I appreciate Panasonic. 」

He thinks that he really liked 3DO.
Because I make a note using translation software, I think that it becomes a poor English sentence.
I'm sorry.

If there is rude expression, please point it out.
Thanking you in advance.