Gaming scene today vs yesterday

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Gaming scene today vs yesterday

Post by a31chris » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:02 pm

Does anybody else think that the gaming scene isn't as exciting as it use to be in the late 80s early/mid 90s? I can't describe why but it seems back in the 90s with the new formats coming out like CDrom and 3D the industry was taking chances with new formats and gameplay and it was more exciting IMO. You saw things I think you dont see anymore. Now for the most part its all a formula 3D fps. You gotta dig into steam to find stuff that strays from the formula anymore. And it was very interesting to see all the different systems, like Saturn/PSX/Jag/3do and wonder how their strengths and weaknesses were going to play out. Now it does seem to be as one developer put it, rather 'homogenous' out there.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:15 pm

I have a lot of things to say on this, but not really in the mood so ill keep it to just one major thing..

Back then you had different games for different consoles. Few of them were multi-format games.. Today its the other way around. That, i think is the major reason why gaming seem less exciting today. The major machines are so similar, and they get all the same games for the most part. Its basically down to chosing a brand, rather than choosing what type of games you like playing..

That was not the case in the mid 90's, definetly not in the 80's..

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:35 pm

grimm wrote:I have a lot of things to say on this, but not really in the mood so ill keep it to just one major thing..

Back then you had different games for different consoles. Few of them were multi-format games.. Today its the other way around. That, i think is the major reason why gaming seem less exciting today. The major machines are so similar, and they get all the same games for the most part. Its basically down to chosing a brand, rather than choosing what type of games you like playing..

That was not the case in the mid 90's, definetly not in the 80's..
I hear ya. Even though it was still very interesting to see the different consoles do their takes on versions of the same game. Like 3DOs NFS vs the PSX version. Which from what I hear the 3do version is superior in gameplay. Play the Jaguars version of DOOM for about an hour. Then play the PSXs version right after and you'll notice the Jaguar's strengths in that area over the original Playstation.
And unique games like Robinson Requiem which you dont seem to see much of these days came out. Also interesting to see the 3DO and Jaguars take on this game and how they are very comparable to one another.

These things fascinate me.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:48 pm

3DO NFS and PS NFS isnt even the same game really.. I havent played the PS version lately, but from what i can remember it was an arcade racer.. The 3DO original is a simulator.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:37 am

I know for me, part of it is just being older now. Perhaps I'm jaded, if you want to call it that. I say that because gaming isn't the only area of my life that seems much less exciting than before. The same goes for movies, music, and I'm sure more if I think about it long enough..

One of the things that's fresh to me now is pinball, but I didn't grow up having the ability to play it regularly. It feels new to me, and I have a seemingly natural interest in it. Ten years from now though, I'll probably look back on it and say, "Pinball just isn't the same anymore", like I do everything else. Meh.

I do agree with the above sentiments though that there aren't enough differences or exclusivities amongst the modern game platforms. There's too much of a "samey" kind of feel between them.

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:29 am

Everything slows down when you get older. You have less friends and less free time.

There is still a flurry activity, but you need to know where to find it. Having a dead arcade scene doesnt help with that.

I've recently discovered a ton of activity over at Steam. I've picked up so many cheap indie games. The sales over there are an Event!

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:45 am

In the 90's the market was saturated with choices (some might say bloated) There were so many systems to chose from, and while that certainly has it's own set of unique drawbacks, it led to more variety in games.

I used to love pretty much all the systems back in the 90's. Even the ones I never owned, like the Neo Geo cd, I loved just through reading reviews and seeing screenshots. Since this generation, I've more or less just been a Nintendo fan ...
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:19 pm

Trev wrote:In the 90's the market was saturated with choices (some might say bloated) There were so many systems to chose from, and while that certainly has it's own set of unique drawbacks, it led to more variety in games.

I used to love pretty much all the systems back in the 90's. Even the ones I never owned, like the Neo Geo cd, I loved just through reading reviews and seeing screenshots. Since this generation, I've more or less just been a Nintendo fan ...
Pretty much what I was going to say.
Last edited by 3DO Experience on Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:25 am

I think the arcades played a large part. You would go and see some amazing arcade machine like Starblade, Ridge Racer, Metal Slug, Street Fighter II, even Missile Command, Pacman and Galaga, and they were quite literally the most amazing thing you had ever seen. I remember standing there watching the big kids play Asteroids with my mouth wide open. Just watching was enough. I remember in 1993/4 staring again, watching Segas Daytona in the arcade. I was a programmer, and it just seemed impossible. It was so beautiful.

Then would come the media. The stickers, the bubblegum, the book, the Saturday morning cartoon.

Then the home conversion. By which point your parents had to tie a rope around your neck to hold your rabid slavering over excited body from attacking the store like some kind of game hunting zombie.

The magazines helped quite a lot too.

Now all you get is over privileged little poop-heads screaming gross over exaggerations about your sexual persuasion or your biological race, while playing a brown game shooting Arabs.

Modern games are split into quite clear categories: AAA shooter, AAA driver, boiler plate clone of another successful game and pretentiousness art house dross -- most of which seem to be Another World Clones, or Tempest 2000 clones.

That said, to say I wasn't a teeny-tiny bit excited by the PS4, I would be lying. And dare i say it Kill Zone 4?

(Ah well, you all hate me anyway!)

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:54 pm

We don't hate you ... I gotta confess I even peeked at your short lived psx blog back in the day. :wink:

Hopefully not too off topic, but my issues w/Sony have been how reliable their machines are. I've owned multiple Playstations & PS2's and they've always had problems after not a very long period of time. Even my PSP died on me. My experiences would make me hesitant on a PS4 assuming I would want one.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:00 am

3DOKid wrote:I think the arcades played a large part. You would go and see some amazing arcade machine like Starblade, Ridge Racer, Metal Slug, Street Fighter II, even Missile Command, Pacman and Galaga, and they were quite literally the most amazing thing you had ever seen. I remember standing there watching the big kids play Asteroids with my mouth wide open. Just watching was enough. I remember in 1993/4 staring again, watching Segas Daytona in the arcade. I was a programmer, and it just seemed impossible. It was so beautiful.

Then would come the media. The stickers, the bubblegum, the book, the Saturday morning cartoon.

Then the home conversion. By which point your parents had to tie a rope around your neck to hold your rabid slavering over excited body from attacking the store like some kind of game hunting zombie.

The magazines helped quite a lot too.

Now all you get is over privileged little poop-heads screaming gross over exaggerations about your sexual persuasion or your biological race, while playing a brown game shooting Arabs.

Modern games are split into quite clear categories: AAA shooter, AAA driver, boiler plate clone of another successful game and pretentiousness art house dross -- most of which seem to be Another World Clones, or Tempest 2000 clones.

That said, to say I wasn't a teeny-tiny bit excited by the PS4, I would be lying. And dare i say it Kill Zone 4?

(Ah well, you all hate me anyway!)
That was great. I totally agree with all of this. Except for the ps4. Looks like more of the same with more graphics.

I almost think the home market is just about as saturated now with choices as it is then as far as systems go.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:55 am

a31chris wrote: I almost think the home market is just about as saturated now with choices as it is then as far as systems go.
Really?

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:42 am

I have to agree with 3DOkid--there was a very specific perspective that is (pretty much) impossible to attain from living outside the '90s.

And I also agree that the PS4 looks more impressive (than I thought it would be) from a visual perspective. With the other crap going on though, it doesn't mean I will buy it when it comes out.. I'm kind of comfortable with Nintendo's classic perspective on games, with the Wii-U.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:03 am

I like new hardware like the PS4. Partly because some of the games, yes i do look forward too them, killzone 4, Uncharted 4 and so on and partly i like to see what it can do. There is bound to be a Wipeout, Tekken and Ridge Racer with it, and yes I want to see that.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:07 pm

I really love the Haunted Manor video blog. Very interesting! Especially how maps are built using a linked list type of setup and how the 3do can do this for free with its GPU and the PSX gets bogged down by this sort of thing.

Fascinating these differences of these older systems.

There are probably differences like that nowadays with the systems but with so much power it probably hardly matters these days. Plus the developers dont get that deep down anymore. If I remember right both ps3 and the 360 can be programmed using Visual Studio these days because I believe Adisak Pochanayon was able to work on both version in Parallel this way. But I may be remembering wrong.

umatbru
3DO ZERO USER

Re: Gaming scene today vs yesterday

Post by umatbru » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:09 pm

a31chris wrote:Does anybody else think that the gaming scene isn't as exciting as it use to be in the late 80s early/mid 90s? I can't describe why but it seems back in the 90s with the new formats coming out like CDrom and 3D the industry was taking chances with new formats and gameplay and it was more exciting IMO. You saw things I think you dont see anymore. Now for the most part its all a formula 3D fps. You gotta dig into steam to find stuff that strays from the formula anymore. And it was very interesting to see all the different systems, like Saturn/PSX/Jag/3do and wonder how their strengths and weaknesses were going to play out. Now it does seem to be as one developer put it, rather 'homogenous' out there.
Actually i think ts becoming rather similar the mid 90's

PS4 = PS1: Need i to say more?

X1 = Saturn: Was great last gen, now turning to shit.

OUYA = 3DO: The Ouya has some similarities to the 3DO, Like openness to developers, lack of third party support and multimedia capabilities. At least the ouya has a killer app by the name of Soul Fjord, Unlike the 3DO, which had no killer app and may have had contributed to its demise.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:36 pm

I seriously wish the PS4 = PS1.

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:00 pm

3DOKid wrote:I seriously wish the PS4 = PS1.
that's not gonna happen. The closest thing will be the downloadable games and the indie scene. And I'd rather stick to Steam for that stuff.
If you want a PS1 experience... start collecting PSP. It's well worth it. Or grab a Vita and pay for PSP games.

It's too costly for these companies to experiment with new games.