I got VR Stalker recently...

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

dave4shmups
3DO ZERO USER

I got VR Stalker recently...

Post by dave4shmups » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:09 pm

And, overall, I think it's a good game! I love the graphics, story and music! The one major flaw that I can find in it is that you cannot see a missile, once it's been fired at you-either on your radar, or by switching views. This is really annoying, and makes it impossible to know how to avoid getting hit, beyond just doing barrel rolls, or something like that.

One interesting thing to me is that it says "Improved Version" on the manual of the one I got. Were there several different versions of this game? It also mentions some company called Morpheus Interactive more prominently then it does American Laser.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:34 pm

The UK version of VR Stalker had some tweaks, so I'm guessing that's the copy you have. I seem to remember an old thread discussing what some of the improvements were, but I could be wrong.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

dave4shmups
3DO ZERO USER

Post by dave4shmups » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:06 pm

Trev wrote:The UK version of VR Stalker had some tweaks, so I'm guessing that's the copy you have. I seem to remember an old thread discussing what some of the improvements were, but I could be wrong.
Well, I'd love to know! :D

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:20 pm

How bad was the American version? Tweaks? A total rewrite was what was needed.

dave4shmups
3DO ZERO USER

Post by dave4shmups » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:18 am

I really like the game; I've beat about 4 missions so far. Like I said earlier, not being able to see missiles coming at you stinks-maybe the earlier release had this??

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:58 am

Trev wrote:The UK version of VR Stalker had some tweaks, so I'm guessing that's the copy you have. I seem to remember an old thread discussing what some of the improvements were, but I could be wrong.
A quick search reveals you brought the matter up in this thread, but no one revealed any knowledge of what was tweaked in the UK version. Hopefully that wasn't the thread you were thinking of.

dave4shmups
3DO ZERO USER

Post by dave4shmups » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:44 am

Martin III wrote:
A quick search reveals you brought the matter up in this thread, but no one revealed any knowledge of what was tweaked in the UK version. Hopefully that wasn't the thread you were thinking of.
That's the only thread on this subject that I could find.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:13 am

Martin III wrote:
I think it was actually, lol. :lol:

Ok, I'm making it my mission to get more info on this. Stay tuned ...
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

dave4shmups
3DO ZERO USER

Post by dave4shmups » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:25 pm

Will do!

goldenband
3DO ZERO USER

Post by goldenband » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:53 am

I played a fair bit of VR Stalker toward the end of last year, making it to the fifth mission. I actually think it's a reasonably enjoyable game if you adjust your expectations appropriately, i.e. thinking of it as a successor to the early 3D flight sims which were generally slow and careful affairs.

One thing that annoyed me was that I couldn't make sense of how the game handled your accumulation of extra planes. They disappeared whenever you restored from a password, and I wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong. If it's meant to be that way, then it's a stupid design decision since no one wants to play through a game like that in one sitting!

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:41 pm

From 3DO Magazine Gold, page 109 ...

"For the UK version, Morpheus betray their enthusiast origins by taking time to rework the game. While it still runs on letterbox in PAL, all of the aircraft cockpits have been redrawn - they're still no works of art, but they're much improved, as are the exterior views of the aircraft which now boast shading to make them more realistic."

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:40 pm

Trev wrote:From 3DO Magazine Gold, page 109 ...

"For the UK version, Morpheus betray their enthusiast origins by taking time to rework the game. While it still runs on letterbox in PAL, all of the aircraft cockpits have been redrawn - they're still no works of art, but they're much improved, as are the exterior views of the aircraft which now boast shading to make them more realistic."
Wow. I weep for the US version owners.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:10 am

Very interesting. Thanks for the research, Trev!

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:03 am

I'm mildly tempted to buy the UK version now just to see if the changes make much of a difference to the overall experience. I personally find the game so boring though that I don't think I could justify the cost.

dave4shmups
3DO ZERO USER

Post by dave4shmups » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:35 pm

Martin III wrote:Very interesting. Thanks for the research, Trev!
That is interesting; thanks Trev! :D

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:45 pm

dave4shmups wrote:
Martin III wrote:Very interesting. Thanks for the research, Trev!
That is interesting; thanks Trev! :D
No problem guys, glad I could help.

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:11 am

Trev wrote:From 3DO Magazine Gold, page 109 ...

LUCKILY, I OWN...
the PAL version anyway, complete with 'improved version' slapped across the front. So, on the flip side of your situation, I am now curious to see what's lacking gfx-wise, in the US version! :-p