Demolition Man severaly underated, the movie and the game.

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Demolition Man severaly underated, the movie and the game.

Post by T2KFreeker » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:46 am

You know, every damn timew I hear people talk about Demolition Man, they are talking total crap! I still do not understand why as the game was not that bad. It was actually quite fun if you ask me. Mind you I was not too happy with the fighting levels, but the shooting and Doom style levels were sweet. I can't remember, were there driving levels? Been a long time. I need to pull my copy, dust it off, and pop her in.

Oh, and for the record, the movie kicks total ass too!
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

Gir Draxa
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Gir Draxa » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:14 am

Demolition Man was a funny flick, could have done without a couple scenes, but not bad overall.

The game's shooting sequences were top notch. According to their promotional material, footage for the game was shot durring the filing of the movie itself. Kinda cool.

The fighting scenes were a bit lame though, and the final 'sex' scene is disappointing, but a funny ending. Plus the levels playing through the offices at the end were fun, and wonder if they want to make a big deal about that in the news now? eh, a bit of a side joke there.

Drax
CEO of The (in search of a home) CD-i & 3DO Collectives

Just slightly behind at being ahead of our time!

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:34 pm

I agree, I thought Demolition Man was a fun game. Yes, the fighting & driving sections were fairly weak, but the shooting sections were top notch! I thought the engine for the doom style section was actually very well done, and the other parts are great w/a light gun! The game was made in conjuction w/the movie, hence the additonal scenes of the the two leads, which gives the game a very polished feel. Throw in a bunch of fmv from the flick, and you've got a great title that successfully blends several elements together.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Thu May 09, 2013 6:16 pm

I love the film. I watched it for the first time roughly a year ago, two days after my first viewing of Blade Runner, a pretentious artsy flick with a trite and cliched message. Man, what a breath of fresh air Demolition Man was after that. Satirical, well-paced, involving, beautifully choreographed, funny as all get out, and even mildly thought-provoking. It's superbly done at every level, while not pretending to be anything greater than another entertaining adventure starring a guy who does what's right.

With my first playthrough of Snow Job done, I popped the game in for the first time. I was a bit disappointed (though not surprised) that it starts with the light gun levels, since I'm not at the house with the light gun-compatible TV. The control on those levels is so terrible with a D-pad that I'm surprised they didn't bundle the game with a Gamegun.

Still, the game looks great so far, with wonderful production values. I can't wait to get my 3DO hooked up to the light gun-compatible TV so I can start playing it for real.

A couple questions about saving progress, since the manual doesn't say a word on the subject: First, when do you get passwords? When you die? At the end of a mission? None of the above? Second, does the password save continues and/or lives?

GuruMeditation

Post by GuruMeditation » Thu May 09, 2013 7:24 pm

Martin III wrote:when do you get passwords? When you die? At the end of a mission? None of the above?
If I remember correctly, the passwords are shown when you pause the game.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Fri May 10, 2013 12:09 am

I'll provide the obligatory negative feedback for this thread. ;)

Can't say I'm much of a fan of the game. The fighting sections are pretty terrible, and the d-pad control on the gun sections left a lot to be desired. The game looks nice, but it just doesn't play well, IMO.

On a side note, does this game actually use the light gun? I was under the impression that it didn't. But if it does, maybe I'll eventually give it another try.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri May 10, 2013 12:58 am

Austin wrote:I'll provide the obligatory negative feedback for this thread. ;).
What, no framerate gripes? :P
Austin wrote:On a side note, does this game actually use the light gun? I was under the impression that it didn't. But if it does, maybe I'll eventually give it another try.
It does use the game, and it makes a pretty big difference imo ... much more fun.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Austin

Post by Austin » Fri May 10, 2013 1:58 am

Trev wrote:
Austin wrote:I'll provide the obligatory negative feedback for this thread. ;).
What, no framerate gripes? :P
Sorry to disappoint you, man--no, not this time. :lol:

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Fri May 10, 2013 2:24 am

Damn, reviving my thread from what, five or six years ago? :lol:

I still stand by what I said before though. The movie is great and the game is damn cool too! And yes, it does use the Gamegun.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri May 10, 2013 3:02 am

T2KFreeker wrote:Damn, reviving my thread from what, five or six years ago? :lol:
I'm digging the thread revivals. :)
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sat May 11, 2013 1:43 am

T2KFreeker wrote:Damn, reviving my thread from what, five or six years ago? :lol:
Well, it seemed to make more sense than starting a new Demolition Man thread from scratch.

Shoulda read the manual, Austin; it gives pretty good detail on using the light gun. Though I'll admit it's left me wondering whether I can play with the light gun hooked into the regular's controller port, since that would save me the trouble of swapping controllers in and out of the port on the 3DO itself.

Austin

Post by Austin » Sun May 12, 2013 3:16 am

I know what the 3DO game needed more of!

:lol:

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Sun May 12, 2013 11:46 pm

Austin wrote:I know what the 3DO game needed more of!

:lol:
Word. I agree, as long as it is more like VS Pinball and less of Real Pinball. :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Austin

Post by Austin » Mon May 13, 2013 8:57 am

T2KFreeker wrote:Word. I agree, as long as it is more like VS Pinball and less of Real Pinball. :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
LOL!!! :lol:

zook1981
3DO ZERO USER

I'm back

Post by zook1981 » Sat May 18, 2013 7:58 am

I have not posted in awhile was unemployed for a little while then crawled into a dark, withdrawn hole but now I am back and happy to see this thread, I love this game to death and actually this was the game that made me want a 3DO in 1995. It is a primitive game but as long as you do not compare it to todays' games you can see how great it is. The great thing is this game was made for SNES and Sega CD, but Sly Stalone himself personally contributed to the cinematics for this game, which I think is fantastic. I am a Sly Stalone fan and a huge fan of the movie and the game and the system! Grand slam for me! :D

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat May 18, 2013 4:22 pm

Welcome back Zook. I agree, it was totally cool to have Stallone (and Snipes) film scenes specifically for this game. Even today almost 20 years later, how many movie games still can't manage to secure original cast?

zook1981
3DO ZERO USER

Post by zook1981 » Sat May 18, 2013 5:25 pm

Trev wrote:Welcome back Zook. I agree, it was totally cool to have Stallone (and Snipes) film scenes specifically for this game. Even today almost 20 years later, how many movie games still can't manage to secure original cast?
. Indeed, and another thing i forgot to say is i love the fighting scenes when i was a kid i used to skip to those 4 scenes on purpose then beat up simon phoenix then shut it off lol. I never was able to beat the game as i could never figure out how to get around that first person tunnel part but now i think i need to give it a whirl

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat May 18, 2013 10:35 pm

zook1981 wrote: I never was able to beat the game as i could never figure out how to get around that first person tunnel part but now i think i need to give it a whirl
It took me a while to figure that section out too. I bet that was the case for most 3DO gamers actually, since it doesn't really play out how you'd expect.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Sun May 19, 2013 3:46 am

The FPS section was actually pretty nice. Much nicer than I was expecting, to be honest. Very cool, and a highlight of the game for me. Now if only DOOM had been up to the same par?

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Re: Demolition Man severaly underated, the movie and the gam

Post by Martin III » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:05 am

After exhausting my interest in Space Pirates for the moment (very fun game, but you just can't play the same arcade shooter for play session after play session), I finally gave this game a whirl.

I'll save comments on the game in general for later, but I have to remark straight off that I am no longer surprised they didn't bundle the game with a Gamegun (see my post from last year). Good grief, the accuracy is just horrible. I know from playing Space Pirates that it's not the Gamegun, it's just awful programming. Are American Laser Games the only publisher who had access to SDKs for the Gamegun? (That's not a rhetorical question. Possibly it's a dumb question, but it's not rhetorical.) It doesn't help that there's no way to manually reload, either. It's still better than using the standard controller in many cases, but I find that to comfortably complete certain levels I have to put away the light gun and do it the crude standard controller way. No one else found the Gamegun implementation far worse than it should have been?

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:57 am

Martin III wrote:After exhausting my interest in Space Pirates for the moment (very fun game, but you just can't play the same arcade shooter for play session after play session), I finally gave this game a whirl.

I'll save comments on the game in general for later, but I have to remark straight off that I am no longer surprised they didn't bundle the game with a Gamegun (see my post from last year). Good grief, the accuracy is just horrible. I know from playing Space Pirates that it's not the Gamegun, it's just awful programming. Are American Laser Games the only publisher who had access to SDKs for the Gamegun? (That's not a rhetorical question. Possibly it's a dumb question, but it's not rhetorical.) It doesn't help that there's no way to manually reload, either. It's still better than using the standard controller in many cases, but I find that to comfortably complete certain levels I have to put away the light gun and do it the crude standard controller way. No one else found the Gamegun implementation far worse than it should have been?
Area 51 on the Saturn is the same way. Horrible with the light gun.

But I don't have the gun. However I can't get past the fight scene with Wesley Snipes.
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:16 pm

a31chris wrote:Area 51 on the Saturn is the same way. Horrible with the light gun.

But I don't have the gun. However I can't get past the fight scene with Wesley Snipes.
Which one? "Snipes" fights Spartan in 8 of the game's 16 levels!

On that note, though, I'm startled that there isn't a walkthrough for this game yet. Some parts of Demolition Man are not merely hard to beat, but hard to figure out. Guess I'd better throw one together myself. I've now beaten the game on normal difficulty, so I shouldn't have any trouble getting together something basic. That said, if someone wants to help me figure out how to get all the health and weapons pickups, I'd be happy to write something more comprehensive! :o

By the way, anyone else find it weird that they recorded a different "game over" clip for each level of the game? I mean, it's not like any of them refer to the level's specific content, so why not just record a half dozen clips and have the game pick one at random at each game over?

Also, off-topic but I found Area 51 plays terrific with the light gun, and haven't heard anyone else say different until now. Are you sure the timing on your television is correct? Alternately, which light gun are you using?

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:14 am

Martin III wrote:
a31chris wrote:Area 51 on the Saturn is the same way. Horrible with the light gun.

On that note, though, I'm startled that there isn't a walkthrough for this game yet. Some parts of Demolition Man are not merely hard to beat, but hard to figure out. Guess I'd better throw one together myself. I've now beaten the game on normal difficulty, so I shouldn't have any trouble getting together something basic. That said, if someone wants to help me figure out how to get all the health and weapons pickups, I'd be happy to write something more comprehensive! :o

By the way, anyone else find it weird that they recorded a different "game over" clip for each level of the game? I mean, it's not like any of them refer to the level's specific content, so why not just record a half dozen clips and have the game pick one at random at each game over?

Also, off-topic but I found Area 51 plays terrific with the light gun, and haven't heard anyone else say different until now. Are you sure the timing on your television is correct? Alternately, which light gun are you using?
My light gun is the standard neon orange saturn one. It works great on both Virtua Cops but it doesn't register well on Area 51 for the Saturn. Its horrible. Since it works on both Virtua Cops I'm guessing its Area 51. But that's off topic. :D
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:33 am

a31chris wrote:
Martin III wrote:

My light gun is the standard neon orange saturn one. It works great on both Virtua Cops but it doesn't register well on Area 51 for the Saturn. Its horrible. Since it works on both Virtua Cops I'm guessing its Area 51. But that's off topic. :D
Yeah, we are off topic here, but I have to comment as well that Area 51 on the Saturn was always dead on for me with the Virtua Gun. Perhaps something is indeed wrong with your gun? Calibrate it? Been a long time so I can't remember if you can, but I don't see why not. Play Die Hard Arcade's Gun section instead. Way more fun. LOL

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:39 pm

I just found an interesting Demolition Man video on YouTube. Looks like a promo of some sort, but there are a few things in it that didn't make it into the final game. The 1st person shooter stage seen at 1:20-1:24 is a particularly striking example.