Japanese fz1 pal game compatibility issue?

Got a problem with your 3DO? Ask!
Retrofanatic83
3DO ZERO USER

Japanese fz1 pal game compatibility issue?

Post by Retrofanatic83 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:14 am

Hi there everyone I'm a new member and I have looked for answers to my particular query to no avail

I recently got a sweet japanese model fz1 and u have two nice condition pal version games to start me on my collection, doom and alone in the dark. Doom plays fine however alone in the dark doesent run. It loads the initial 3do screen then an infrogrames logo with the aardvark but then it just continually loops back to the 3do screen. It does state on the cover "features full screen display on any pal 3do console" or similar. Can anyone confirm that the pal one won't run on the already 60hz ntsc machine? On saturn there are examples of pal optimised games (duke nukem etc) that dont run properly as a result of having been optimised for the speed difference. But it does run. And it's documented. I have searched and can't find any mention of this issue. Disc looks fairly good only one real scratch so not sure that is the issue and don't know anyone with a pal 3do to check if it runs fine on their machine so hopefully someone on here can assist and confirm if the game should run on jap console. Was really looking forward to playing it as well but if need be I can try and find a usa copy. Hoping for some help if anyone can
:D

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Re: Japanese fz1 pal game compatibility issue?

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:45 pm

RF83...

I had a Japanese 3DO for a week once (not so long ago) and own around 50ish titles. I'd bought it but, not long after, the seller had buyers remorse, so I sent it him back for a refund. Wouldn't feel right, standing between a man and his 3DO, y'know? 8)

Anyway, I only played a few games, but I was surprised to see a good few of my games refuse to run on the JP unit. I can't remember which (exactly) off hand, but I definitely remember Wolfenstein being a stand out title and a couple of others.

I certainly wouldn't rule out incompatibility though. I distinctly remember being a bit put out by the titles I couldn't run vs the '3DO is a multi-regional console' discussion.

Maybe the US versions are more widely compatible?

ANYWAY...

here's hoping someone, with all the regional variations, with the relevant experience can (be bothered to) help you out :)

But with only 5 regular posters day by day, you might struggle I'm afraid and unfortunately, I'm not set-up to help. Sorry dude.

All the best...

Retrofanatic83
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Retrofanatic83 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:57 pm

Thanks for input
Yeah have read of the wolfy and a few other titles that are region locked but just surprised not not see my own query mentioned anywhere. As you say hopefully someone on here with capacity to check can (someone with a pal copy of alone in the dark and a japanese fz1 please confirm if the game should run)
Will just keep checking or maybe pm someone who I reckon can help 8)

They don't make them like they used to. Front loader and still works perfectly is a gorgeous looking thing twenty years on. Just got total eclipse too so will play that through week when it arrives. I want to immerse myself in pre resident evil survival horror though! :P

Cheers again man. Seems a very savvy forum so here's hoping. USA copies seem to be rarer over here than a lot of the other long box games so might need to wait a while. Tempting as it is to burn roms I don't want to risk the laser and I'm a geek for nice boxart and the stuff on this is cool. Need a memory manager too, am assuming is full because doesent save level progress on doom but no warnings that no save will be possible so hopefully the memory isn't screwed on it but I'm still happy forty quid for a console that was half a grand new plus a pair of pads with the headphone jack.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:57 am

It could possibly just be a compatibility issue, but unfortunately I cannot say for sure. I live in the US, so I've had little reason to try PAL games on my NTSC system outside of Defcon 5. I do know that the Japanese version of Alone in the Dark works on a US FZ-10 (I don't have a FZ-1 to try), but I don't see why it wouldn't have, Japan and US consoles are both NTSC. Sorry! :(

We have a few other UK folks here, so it's possible they might have had some experience with this.

Kyosho
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Kyosho » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:19 am

Rather than continue discussing this in the introductions thread, figured I'd bump this. Right, so, I tried a burned copy of the PAL version of Alone in the Dark on my Japanese FZ-1, on an NTSC television. I get the same results you mentioned. It just loops the intro logos. So there you have it, it's not your disc. It just doesn't work. You owe me 30 cents for the disc.

Heh. Just kidding. I was curious about the "fullscreen" feature of the PAL version. Granted, the NTSC version isn't that bad as far as not taking up the whole screen.

Retrofanatic83
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Retrofanatic83 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:07 am

Thanks very much for checking this. I had kind of expected it would be but given I could find no mention of it I wasn't sure. Guess I have a very nice condition pal one to try and sell or trade now. Could just keep it and maybe get a pal console too someday..... :roll:
We should compile a list of games that work or don't work on pal USA and Japanese consoles. Would be a good reference as I think there are a few for Saturn, racket boy etc. thanks again man. Most games are on them and if they do work but with issues the issue is described. Pal virtua fighter two wont run on NTSC at all, croc sometimes has his head missing, duke nukem runs with info missing from the screen and the graphics clip. Is very helpful when checking if getting a cheaper more easily available pal copy is worthwhile rather than buying it and just hoping it works.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:25 pm

Croc's missing head isn't a region issue; it's a glitch in the game.

Retrofanatic83
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Retrofanatic83 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:33 pm

Really? The head is only missing if I play it on my Japanese machine if on pal it's always there?

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:31 am

Hmm. Don't know why that would be. I've only experienced the game via a North American version playing on a North American console, but I have seen the headless Croc, and have heard the glitch reported by other players. It happens only with a certain options setting, but I can't remember what it is.

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:38 pm

As far as I remember, the head is missing IF you start the game with the disc in the console from being powered OFF to ON.

If you turn the Saturn on first WITHOUT the game in, let it arrive at the bios screen and then put the disc in the tray and start from the menu, the game will play normally thereon - head and all...