Goldstar and CD-Rs

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Goldstar and CD-Rs

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:35 am

Ok I just burned the Storage Manager CD and I went to pull some game saves off my Goldstar model. Well it doesn't see the disc, I use Memorex CD-Rs as I get the best results with them on most hardware and my FZ-1 likes them for back-ups of things I'm afraid of scratching. :)

I really want to pull my Alone in the Dark, Daedalus Encounter & MYST saves off the Goldstar, the rest aren't important. Does anyone know of a CD-R brand that works on the Goldstar model :?:
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

ninjagowoo
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ninjagowoo » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:03 am

It's not the cd-r but the machine. I hear that the Goldstar models had issues with copied games. (read: they generally don't work)

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:23 pm

ninjagowoo wrote:It's not the cd-r but the machine. I hear that the Goldstar models had issues with copied games. (read: they generally don't work)
ive heard the same thing but i havent tried any cdr on my goldstar as i only use the fz10
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:46 pm

ninjagowoo wrote:It's not the cd-r but the machine. I hear that the Goldstar models had issues with copied games. (read: they generally don't work)
Well I know the machine doesn't like most, but there are some CD-Rs that it doesn't have a problem with as I've seen a few on e-bay with burned games. I'm just trying to find out what ones will work.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:37 pm

Sometimes the Goldstar unit won't read a cdr initialy, but it usually will if you try & 2nd or 3rd time. Worked fine with my machine.

DragonmasterDan
3DO ZERO USER

Post by DragonmasterDan » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:46 pm

Mine reads CDRs fine, in fact better than my FZ-10
--DragonmasterDan

ninjagowoo
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ninjagowoo » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:18 am

ah the power of hearse

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:16 am

Trev wrote:Sometimes the Goldstar unit won't read a cdr initialy, but it usually will if you try & 2nd or 3rd time. Worked fine with my machine.
I'll have to pull it out and try it a few times.
DragonmasterDan wrote:Mine reads CDRs fine, in fact better than my FZ-10
What brand of CD-Rs do you use for it?

DragonmasterDan
3DO ZERO USER

Post by DragonmasterDan » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:55 pm

3DO Experience wrote:
Trev wrote:Sometimes the Goldstar unit won't read a cdr initialy, but it usually will if you try & 2nd or 3rd time. Worked fine with my machine.
I'll have to pull it out and try it a few times.
DragonmasterDan wrote:Mine reads CDRs fine, in fact better than my FZ-10
What brand of CD-Rs do you use for it?
I've used a variety, from Fuji, to Sony, to Verbatim, One big thing is burn them at no faster than 4X, 1X or 2X is preferable as it creates more defined marks in the dye on the CD. You may need to use an older CD burner to burn at such low speeds. A game burned at higher than 4X is bound to be problematic and might not even load.
--DragonmasterDan

wulfren
3DO ZERO USER

Post by wulfren » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:11 pm

'ya know, I got into building PC's just as the SCSI 1x and 2X were hitting the market and through all this time I had never considered the burn speed for my 3DO (d'uh big red truck). which actually would explain alot of the small problems i'd been having out of my back ups. /sigh now here's a labor of "love" reburning them all at 2x ...great

but getting back to the point of the thread yes my Goldstar hates every single backup I have (i just tried a few) they were all burnt at 48X ..but on the flip side my FZ-10 reads them all with just a few minimal errors (i'm guessing now due to the burn speed)

P.S See i believe in this thing called stupid, its like a disease or the flue no one is immune to it and it can hit you at any time. My disclaimer tho is to kindly apologize and say "i'm sorry my stupid is acting up on me at the moment i'll be back later"
Wulfren

~Lupine Nobilis~

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:36 pm

I think it might have something to do with the quality of the burners to. I had a Yamaha burner and LG burner. If I use the Yahama it really doesn't matter which speed I use (up to 48x) but the LG one has to be set to no faster than 8x.

wulfren
3DO ZERO USER

Post by wulfren » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:13 pm

Years ago you were dead on that statement Kid, and I guess there's no reason why its not still true today to some degree.

Basically what I did was took all my 3DO disc' made an image on my PC then burnt the image off as i played them (that way the originals are far far out of site & mind of my little girl & she can still play the system w/o me having to much of a panic attack) as far as the spec's ect, I have an Asus Lightscribe DVD -RW that I used to make my backups and as I said the disc played pretty good on my FZ-10 (a couple games has a hangup here & there) but my Goldstar won't even read the disc ...now this is admitting that these were burnt at 48X on HP CD-R's (generally I buy the cheapest i can find for just basic storage however I will in time buy a good stack of lightscribe CD-R's and burn them all at 1X

but since you said that yea im gonna try to do another copy w/ my Rosewill burner and see what happens there

3DO Kid do you think it would be worth it, or is this something you'd like to put up a chart of some sort of? (i know there is a big grey area on backups and i don't know how everyone feels, but I wouldn't mind monkeying around with some stuff while i have the time & blank CD-R's
Wulfren

~Lupine Nobilis~

wulfren
3DO ZERO USER

Post by wulfren » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:17 pm

Years ago you were dead on that statement Kid, and I guess there's no reason why its not still true today to some degree.

Basically what I did was took all my 3DO disc' made an image on my PC then burnt the image off as i played them (that way the originals are far far out of site & mind of my little girl & she can still play the system w/o me having to much of a panic attack) as far as the spec's ect, I have an Asus Lightscribe DVD -RW that I used to make my backups and as I said the disc played pretty good on my FZ-10 (a couple games has a hangup here & there) but my Goldstar won't even read the disc ...now this is admitting that these were burnt at 48X on HP CD-R's (generally I buy the cheapest i can find for just basic storage however I will in time buy a good stack of lightscribe CD-R's and burn them all at 1X

but since you said that yea im gonna try to do another copy w/ my Rosewill (Internal DVD-RW) burner and my old old IOMEGA backpack drive (external CD-RW at 8x4x2x) that way I can at least introduce some controlled variables into it

3DO Kid do you think it would be worth it, or is this something you'd like to put up a chart of some sort of? (i know there is a big grey area on backups and i don't know how everyone feels, but I wouldn't mind monkeying around with some stuff while i have the time & blank CD-R's
Wulfren

~Lupine Nobilis~

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:26 pm

It might be worth thinking about and testing. I have a great big pile of CD Burners. TEAC, HP, LG, No name, and a Panasonic FZ-1 and FZ-10.

People often ask, and I've always said 'burn slowly' but like I've said, I use half way decent stuff and suddenly speed doesn't matter!

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:59 pm

That would be interesting. BTW I tried Trev's way and managed to get my game saves copied. :D

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:27 am

BTW I tried Trev's way and managed to get my game saves copied.
Awesome! Don't let the stubborn 3DO give you no for an answer. 8)