Piracy is a crime. Box recreations

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Piracy is a crime. Box recreations

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:47 pm

So, this is basically a proof of concept. I want to create the cardboard long boxes, but to test out some of the processes, i created a Crash 'N Burn double jewel case.

I made a couple of errors, the paper is too thick for one. I was too heavy handed on the trimming for another but it looks passable.

Morally corrupt? Or a service to collectors? Non-purist. (I have no intention of selling these by the way)

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Re: Piracy is a crime. Box recreations

Post by Trev » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:23 pm

Looking good to me. I've no problem at all with stuff like that. Anything that makes an already cool 3DO collection look even cooler is ok in my book.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

OfManNotMachine
3DO ZERO USER

Post by OfManNotMachine » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:07 pm

Looks absolutely awesome to me.

I don't see how piracy even comes to play here.

Then again, I don't believe piracy hurts the video game industry at all.

dark
3DO ZERO USER

Post by dark » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:45 pm

Looks awesome. I don't consider this sort of thing to be corrupt or harmful at all when it involves old games that are not for sale by the manufacturer anyway (and or the manufacturer no longer even exists!) and also that it either isn't sold, or if sold, it is sold to a knowledgeable collector who knows it is a reproduction.

There is a lot of this stuff that goes on for old systems. For example, this guy has made 100s of variations on dreamcast boxart - so that, for example, collectors can have European boxart for a game that was never released in Europe. Or, recreated boxart for a prototype that was never officially released.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dreamcast/

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:21 pm

Some of his stuff looks fantastic. It's shame DC cases are so brittle.
dark wrote:Looks awesome. I don't consider this sort of thing to be corrupt or harmful at all when it involves old games that are not for sale by the manufacturer anyway (and or the manufacturer no longer even exists!) and also that it either isn't sold, or if sold, it is sold to a knowledgeable collector who knows it is a reproduction.

There is a lot of this stuff that goes on for old systems. For example, this guy has made 100s of variations on dreamcast boxart - so that, for example, collectors can have European boxart for a game that was never released in Europe. Or, recreated boxart for a prototype that was never officially released.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dreamcast/

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:59 pm

I don't see how making your own case art is considered Piracy. Not to be a pain here, but if you want you games to look complete, then go for it. Here in the US, it's really hard because the Long Boxes are just hard to find anymore. Hell, I tried to get a replacement inner art sleeve for my copy of New Super Mario Bros. Wii from Nintendo, and they actually trold me to just find the artwork on the internet and make my own copy because they don't sell the artwork even though they sell the instruction booklets. Go figure. :wink:
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:53 pm

Looks good to me. Although personally, in the case of happening to resell it later, I would make the box are slightly different. Maybe add a side bar or something to indicate it's obviously not an original. But I doubt you'll be reselling yours, and you'll only be doing it for yourself, so I suppose it doesn't matter much. :)

OfManNotMachine
3DO ZERO USER

Post by OfManNotMachine » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:02 am

Long boxes are insanely hard to find here in America.

Although I'd suspect at this point they are very hard to find anywhere.
It's up to us hardcore dedicated fans of the console to do what we can to preserve a part of videogame history.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:18 am

I working on the D's Diner US style Long Box right now. I've scanned it in, and stitched it together. I just need to digitally repair the damage, and print it out. We'll see how it goes :)

Kyosho
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Kyosho » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:30 pm

Not sure if you guys are familiar with it, but The Cover Project is a great resource for printing your own covers and stuff. I know several people who collect bare cartridges for older systems, buy universal game cases, and print their covers. Look awesome on the shelf. Granted, they aren't "real," but doing that sure can save you money if you just want a nice looking shelf. There seems to be a decent 3DO section on there, and if you've got some disc-only games, I'd certainly consider at least printing up a jewel case insert.

Building a longbox, like you're talking about here, though, would be a bit more tricky.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:52 pm

All right Kid, I can't wait to see this Long Box you are making. Should be an education, at the very least! :wink:
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:35 am

I don't see a problem making a longbox. It's a box after all. I used to make custom DVD covers all the time and just last month I made a SEGA CD Template and cover for those big plastic cases. (I made a perfect copy for the Saturn until someone kicked an external hard drive across the room.)
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:26 pm

Far from perfect but passable..

OfManNotMachine
3DO ZERO USER

Post by OfManNotMachine » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:45 am

That looks awesome, I'd love to replace some of my beatup long boxes with these

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:21 am

I need to recreate the interiors too. Which seems like an exercise in origami.

OfManNotMachine
3DO ZERO USER

Post by OfManNotMachine » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:45 pm

How much does this cost to do? And what do you need to do it?

Calavera
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Calavera » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:23 am

Looks good man! This makes me thing I can't believe there isn't a service that remakes old game boxes. A company could make a fortune if they would print you basically any box in existence for $10-$20. Even if the boxes were slighted updated or changed just so they can't be passed off as originals it would still be cool. If the price was $5 a piece I'd probably order the box for every SNES game I own! lol