3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Retro Gamer 122 is out

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:15 pm

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Re: Retro Gamer 122 is out

Post by Martin III » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:14 am

Great to hear. I'm going to order my copy, overseas shipping and all; I've done it before, so I know Retro Gamer is worth it.

klogg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by klogg » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:01 pm

Magnificent FZ-1 box cover! Import to Brazil will be very expensive, but I'll buy the pdf version on the website. However the latest edition for sale there is still the #121. I have to wait a little longer.
3DO Brazil website (in portuguese): http://www.3dobrasil.com.br

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:36 pm

:D
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:00 pm

...and it's ordered! I have to agree with the poster on the forum you linked: The cover is kind of bland. I think they could have enhanced it with a few familiar 3DO faces, e.g. R.J. Mical, Trip Hawkins, Gex, Captain Quazar. I'm buying it strictly for the contents, but that might not be true of everyone.

By the way, I don't know if you have any contact with the people who run the website, but the issue description has the previous issue's contents listed for "in this issue".

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:31 pm

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:30 pm

I'll keep an eye out at Barnes & Nobles. I'd like this one for sure.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:44 pm

Great article, Will! I just purchased the digital version on my phone and read through it.

What I find ironic though is that they made Primal Rage a focal point of one of their photos. :lol:

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:10 pm

Austin wrote:Great article, Will! I just purchased the digital version on my phone and read through it.

What I find ironic though is that they made Primal Rage a focal point of one of their photos. :lol:

I genuinely laughed out loud at that :)

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:31 pm

Finally made it to Barnes & Noble, and ran over to the magazine section in excitement. Multiple copies of the Oct. mag on the shelf hyping next months 3DO issue, but not one November mag in stock! :(
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:28 pm

At least yours gets the magazine.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:51 pm

I'm in Hawaii at the moment, but i'll sort all the regulars out with a copy.

Worry ye not.

Austin

Post by Austin » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:58 pm

Trev, I'm assuming you will keep checking B&N? If so, let me know when they get one, then I may stop by one of mine to pick up a copy (I assume most of them get the same magazine stock around the same time).

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:17 am

Austin wrote:Trev, I'm assuming you will keep checking B&N? If so, let me know when they get one, then I may stop by one of mine to pick up a copy (I assume most of them get the same magazine stock around the same time).
I'm looking also. They still have 121, which has a Zelda cover. No 3DO goodness here yet either. I can't wait!

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:05 am

I'll keep checking. There are a few B & N around where I am ... not super close, but not that far If I'm running errands in the general direction anyway. I'm hoping that being behind is just status quo when importing literature.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:56 pm

Trev wrote:I'll keep checking. There are a few B & N around where I am ... not super close, but not that far If I'm running errands in the general direction anyway. I'm hoping that being behind is just status quo when importing literature.
Usually seems to be the status Quo with these magazines as I have bought them in the past. Always seem to be a month behind the UK with Retro Gamer here in the US.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:26 am

Got the issue in the mail today and I've already read the whole article. Very enjoyable read, though I question your wisdom in heading off a list of good FMV-heavy games with Corpse Killer. (I'm starting to wonder if that game just appeals to Europeans because it's a distinctively USA game and thus exotic from that perspective.) You got a lot of informative tidbits out of Trip, and the page covering the 3DO's technological innovations is magnificently done.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:56 am

I always enjoyed Corpse Killer. Plus I was under strict orders not to reproduce the other article Retro Gamer did. Which covered lots of the very popular games. This objective suited me to be honest. The other (older) 3DO article was bloody good too. John Szczepaniak is brilliant, and a great writer. I had blog, and I rant on a forum.

I agreed with the editor that i wouldn't just list road rash, nfs, gex etc., and try and show something a bit different. I genuinely, honestly, wanted people to think differently about the console. So just churning out the same old "3DO failed, LOL" piece, in a negative light, was not on the agenda. I wanted to make it look like 3DO was defeated after a heroic fight, which is truer than the usual view, which is it was kicked in the nuts because it was a pussy. PLus I wanted it to be interesting; so Corpse Killer gets a mention.

As for Corpse Killer, I am a sucker for 1970/80/90s B-horror flicks. The old italian made cannibal movies (Cannibal Ferox, Demons and Man from Deep River etc) where it's dubbed and the Americans are really Italians; so that was one thing

Secondly, I had a nice email conversation years ago with the maker of Corpse Killer. He posted on my Blog. So, I emailed Ken Melville saying, "What a great interactive b-horror movie they made" where he replied and basically, "Thanks, finally someone gets where i'm coming from with it"

Viewed as fan of the genre, Corpse Killer is good.

The other thing is, and this was new to me, i was given a budget of 2,500 words, which seems like a lot. It really isn't. I had to miss out details, condense, distill, and repeat. So, I couldn't explain why I liked some things, case in point Corpse Killer, and then have enough space to do other things. There was so much I wanted to say, and I had to convey it in so few words. So some stuff boiled down to: Play this, it's good. Blogs do not equal Magazine articles.

The biggest thrill, has been going into WHSmiths (UK News agent) picking a copy off of the shelf, a gaming magazine no less, and seeing my name and an article I wrote. There on the shelf. Amongst all the other proper-magazines. About 3DO.

The very last thing is, I started the Blog many years ago now, with one goal being to improving my written English. Maths, Computers and Physics, I was always good at. English? Grammar? Spelling? Fail. So getting a biggish article in a magazine, is kind of proof to myself I have self improved my written skills somewhat. Even if I need a bloody good editor as a safety net :)

Cheers,

3DOKid.

PS: You may have noticed I feel freer to talk about the article now it's published / Sorry for the rant :)

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:35 am

3DOKid wrote:Plus I was under strict orders not to reproduce the other article Retro Gamer did.
Which issue is this, and is there a back order for it still?

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:18 am

3DO Experience wrote:
3DOKid wrote:Plus I was under strict orders not to reproduce the other article Retro Gamer did.
Which issue is this, and is there a back order for it still?
This one. it's out of stock :(

Might be available as a download?

https://www.imagineshop.co.uk/magazines ... r-028.html

I'll keep an eye on ebay if you want?

3DOKid

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:15 pm

3DOKid wrote:The other thing is, and this was new to me, i was given a budget of 2,500 words, which seems like a lot.
Not to me; I'm a writer. And even reading through the article, it did seem over a bit too soon. Which is certainly preferable to dragging on a bit too long, mind you.

I appreciate you sharing your thoughts on writing the article. "Rant" or no, it was interesting to read.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:27 pm

Martin III wrote:
3DOKid wrote:The other thing is, and this was new to me, i was given a budget of 2,500 words, which seems like a lot.
Not to me; I'm a writer. And even reading through the article, it did seem over a bit too soon. Which is certainly preferable to dragging on a bit too long, mind you.

I appreciate you sharing your thoughts on writing the article. "Rant" or no, it was interesting to read.
I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

I was beside myself with joy buying a copy :)

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:31 pm

Just letting you all know, my Barnes and Noble has cancelled Retro Gamer. The guy working there told me that most stores would also be following suit. I made a formal complaint that was emailed to the contact center. Not sure if that will make a big difference, but who knows. You all might want to check with your store and find out. It appears that my stores last issue was last months, so I will not be getting the 4DO issue. It sucks.

Austin

Post by Austin » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:34 pm

Well 3DOKid, I think we may have to take you up on your offer to pick up some copies of this issue for us..

NikeX
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NikeX » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:23 pm

THANKS 3DOKID! landed Dec 6th!

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:16 pm

I had a feeling I should go to the post office today before they closed but didn't. Now I feel like if I had gone it would be there.

goldenband
3DO ZERO USER

Post by goldenband » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:02 am

My fiancée got me a copy! I've only had time to skim the article but it looked great. :D

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:24 am

I went to my post office box today and what did I find!?! But an L.L. Bean catalog; sigh.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:31 am

Came in yesterday! I'll be reading it as soon as I figure out a health care plan seeing as I'm no longer allowed to keep my old one.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:26 pm

Thanx' Kid. Mine got here yesterday as well. It was one Hell of a read too. You did a fantastic job on the article articulating exactly what any 3DO novice should know and also what fans know but need to remember. Really good read that actually felt balanced for a change.