Retro Gamer 122 is out

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Re: Retro Gamer 122 is out

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:42 pm

I'm glad you liked it mate.

Lot's of the 'facts' were kicking around in the 1990s when it was launched. So i just repeated them.

Some folks on the Retro Gamer forum like it too.

Which is nice. :)

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:48 pm

3DOKid wrote:I'm glad you liked it mate.

Lot's of the 'facts' were kicking around in the 1990s when it was launched. So i just repeated them.

Some folks on the Retro Gamer forum like it too.

Which is nice. :)
Yeah, but I also extremely like the fact that you point out that so much history has been rewritten on the internet, Wikipedia and Youtube. It's nice for that to be in print for future reference when some idiot is spouting off about how they saw this or read that on such and such webpage. Having Trips own words shadowing some of the points you made in the article helped to add to the credibility as well. Like I said, a very well written piece indeed.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:30 pm

I really enjoyed the article. I'm also interested in reading what you had to cut.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:13 am

I'm chuffed you liked it :)

pitsunami
3DO ZERO USER

Post by pitsunami » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:28 pm

When i first saw that a 3do article was written from 3DOKid and trip was there too
i was pretty excited,so i searched for a copy of the mag and recieved it a couple
days ago...

I cant say as a hardcore 3do player that i am satisfied...
I would like to see the history of manufacturing,prototype drawings of the machine
,a top 50 games,how they decided to go with that design,
a very big trip interview and so much more.instead i saw fifty pages with xboxone ads...

I know it wasnt 3dokid's fault but i am hungry for a really big and complete
article on my favourite video game console!

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:15 pm

3DOKid wrote:i'll sort all the regulars out with a copy.

Worry ye not.
It may come to that. If I find it at all, tonight will be the night. Let's hope my trip to the city yields some positive results.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:20 pm

I skimmed through the article again a couple days ago, and realized something that was bothering me. I have a sinking feeling this was already covered in an earlier thread, so smack me upside the head if that's the case, but... You say that Doom was rushed out to meet a Christmas deadline. My understanding was that the last 3DO game was released in March 1996. Did they miss that deadline?

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:59 pm

pitsunami wrote:When i first saw that a 3do article was written from 3DOKid and trip was there too
i was pretty excited,so i searched for a copy of the mag and recieved it a couple
days ago...

I cant say as a hardcore 3do player that i am satisfied...
I would like to see the history of manufacturing,prototype drawings of the machine
,a top 50 games,how they decided to go with that design,
a very big trip interview and so much more.instead i saw fifty pages with xboxone ads...

I know it wasnt 3dokid's fault but i am hungry for a really big and complete
article on my favourite video game console!
I would have loved this too mate.

The audience wasn't really us here. It was people who might have read the original 3DO article in issue 28 and wanted a bit more.

The bigger problem was I'm nobody, so people wouldn't talk to me. Secondly, I'm a lousy interviewer. I've interviewed plenty of people, all of them wanted a job and weren't famous. That interviewing is a piece of cake. This magazine kind wasn't.

Plus, I work in I.T. Video gaming is a fun hobby but it's not something I understand aside from the pad-bashing. It was like being a budgerigar in lawn full of sparrows. Their lives, their careers, their lingo, their little world. A lifetime of reading games magazines doesn't prepare you. They take my hobby as seriously as I take my career. I knew that but... not really. Plus, I had no idea what to ask. I just rambled. I have no gravitas as a gaming journalist. I've worked in my own field for 20 years. I'm not used to being at work so to speak, writing the article, and not being known. It was like my very first day at work. Same feelings. Very odd.

The second problem I think some of the original 3DO folks are kind of guarded. I would be if I had worked for company that had been knocked so undeservedly by 2 decades of toss-pots.

Trip was a nice guy. But, because, probably, I was so crap, he had an agenda of what he wanted to say.

No one else would talk. Which is fair enough. I guess they're bored stupid of it anyway.

One other thing, prototypes didn't occur to me. (Slaps head) Where would I start? Who would I ask? I'd love to add some of that info to my own 3DOMagazine that's in the works. That'll be free too, so that's even better :)

Cheers old mate!

3DOKid

PS: Issue 28 of Retro Gamer has a list of Top 10 Games for 3DO.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:00 pm

Martin III wrote:I skimmed through the article again a couple days ago, and realized something that was bothering me. I have a sinking feeling this was already covered in an earlier thread, so smack me upside the head if that's the case, but... You say that Doom was rushed out to meet a Christmas deadline. My understanding was that the last 3DO game was released in March 1996. Did they miss that deadline?

Good question. I thought it was out in christmas 1995? I didn't check LOL!

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:40 pm

pitsunami wrote:......instead i saw fifty pages with xboxone ads...
I had to laugh at that because it's true. However I really enjoyed the article. I too was expecting a large chunk of the issue to be centered around the 3DO but after waiting for two extra months for it to come out and then it's trip across the ocean I really could only think of Kid's article. Oh and #28 had good coverage too. Also will a little help from Kid.

pitsunami
3DO ZERO USER

Post by pitsunami » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:20 am

I am sorry but i didnt know about no 28.

I was just pissed with the mag which dont really respect the retro
gamer with publishing a mag that costs 5pounds and more than half is
foul of ads...

The article is great and well written but the interview could be
five pages or so...maybe we can 'annoy' trip again in the future!

Well i will have to wait for our 3do mag then,i just hate digital form...
any timeline when it 'publish'? :D

I wish i could help but english is not my mother language... :oops:

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:18 am

I personally think there are better people than Trip to talk too having now spoken to him.

It's hard to tell English isn't your mother tongue...

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:18 pm

So, is the new 3DO Magazine publishing in paper form? That would be spiffy. It's harder for me to actually read stuffs on a computer screen. Well, for long periods of time, anyway. I want to write some stuffs for it too! I miss doing stuff for the Classic Video Gamer Magazine. Was fun.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:00 am

Well if you are going to write for anyone I suggest using "stuffs" a bit less. :wink:

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:40 am

3DO Experience wrote:Well if you are going to write for anyone I suggest using "stuffs" a bit less. :wink:
Whuzzat? Seriously though, was just trying to be . . . cute. :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:51 am

3DOKid wrote:
Martin III wrote:I skimmed through the article again a couple days ago, and realized something that was bothering me. I have a sinking feeling this was already covered in an earlier thread, so smack me upside the head if that's the case, but... You say that Doom was rushed out to meet a Christmas deadline. My understanding was that the last 3DO game was released in March 1996. Did they miss that deadline?
Good question. I thought it was out in christmas 1995? I didn't check LOL!
You may be right. Aside from a vague recollection of reading somewhere that Doom was one of the 3DO's last games, my only basis for thinking it came out in 1996 is its entry on GameFAQs. And GameFAQs, while a very reliable source, is wrong at times. I checked a screenshot of the title screen and it says copyright 1995, and while that doesn't rule out an early 1996 release, it does support your Christmas 1995 release date.
3DOKid wrote:I personally think there are better people than Trip to talk too having now spoken to him.
So, what ewhac said, then - "Nice hair and not much else"? :)

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:57 am

I think he's been asked about it so many times, and obviously he's moved on, that he's scripted himself. i.e. he says the same things over-and-over-and-over without thinking or needing too.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:44 pm

He should of been asked if he would release the encryption and such to the community.
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:27 am

a31chris wrote:He should of been asked if he would release the encryption and such to the community.
Yeah, but Trip is the wrong person to ask that question as Matsushita (Panasonic) owns that stuff anymore, not Trip Hawkins, sadly. He seems like the kind of guy that would release that stuff if asked.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:22 am

But didn't Trip fill up his swag bag with loads of 3DO patents and stuff?

johnnycash
3DO ZERO USER

Post by johnnycash » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:12 am

3DOkid I have read this article and its very good, nice one. I particularly agree with the 'pricepoint failure' issue. The 3DO FZ1 was rarely particularly expensive in the Uk, certainly no mroe than £399 if i recall and you could easily get one for less than that. When the PS1 came out, it was about the same price, only a year or two after launch did it drop to abotu £250.

I feel it was more about marketing. People didn't get the different console manufacturers thing, and didn't know much about it. As Trip Hawkins says in that article, small margins like having Return Fire out at launch rather than 1994, or late Studio 3do/crystal dynamics titles, could have made all the difference, i think. But then it wouldn't attract such loyal collectors would it? Who cares about PS1 now?!

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:14 am

Wow.. By complete and utter surprise, I stumbled across this issue in the wild today. I picked up the issue at Microcenter. Glad to finally have a real copy (I had picked up the digital version back when it was released). If anyone has a Microcenter near them, I'd recommend checking them out. The issue was only ten bucks for me there. :)

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Sun May 18, 2014 5:55 am

Hey Kid, a buddy of mine was at the house today and noticed the magazine sitting on my end table in the living room. He laughed and scoffed "3DO". Read it and really thought the article was really well written. He's even taken a serious thought to tracking down a system now because of the stuff he never knew about the system from your article. That's how you know it was well written, it has that effect on readers. Still great stuff.