Midwest Gaming Classic

It does float! And doesn't get soggy in milk! :)

Moderator: a31chris

MegaData
3DO ZERO USER

Midwest Gaming Classic

Post by MegaData » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:52 am

I just saw that there's a Midwest Gaming Classic event April 12th & 13th, 2014

Saturday 10am - 8pm | Sunday 10am - 5pm
http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/

With Jaguar Sector II gone, where are we supposed to hear about this these days? Will there be a BattleSphere network? Competitions? What's the word on the 'net? I went to one of these... ten years ago. The Jaguar section was sparse and I got smoked in the Halo competition by "Master Chief" camped over the spawn area with a rocket launcher. I did meet "Gunstar" there... and put a couple faces with names. It would be cool if we got a network of 10+ Battlespheres, like Jagfest 2001, but I don't think there's that much interest. My impression was that it didn't really seem like most people were there for the "classics."
With meddlesome charm,
MegaData

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Re: Midwest Gaming Classic

Post by Austin » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:46 am

Other retro gaming forums (Atari Age, Nintendo Age, Sega-16, Retro Video Gamer forum, Digital Press.. just to name a few). :)

The MGC is a huge event now, and there is indeed a large retro presence there. One of the guys that runs it is a big fan of the Jag. I thought some other guys generally host a few tables with Jag stuff as well? Sort of keeping the "Jagfest" spirit alive. May need to join up on another forum (like AtariAge) and ask around. Maybe there will be another "wall 'o Jag stuff" there this year.

MegaData
3DO ZERO USER

Post by MegaData » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:13 am

Atari Age? Are you trying to be funny?

I've never owned a Mushroom Mario. I sold my Sega Genesis when I got rid of my 7800 the first time. I find the other forums lacking. There's very little left. I'd need Yahoo Homebrew or something to do a general eMail Newsletter or something. I don't usually check forums as often as I have been this last week.

Dan and Gary run the GOAT Store, who put together the event, last I knew. Found 'em on Facebook and MySpace now...
With meddlesome charm,
MegaData

Gunstar
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Post by Gunstar » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:38 pm

Dan Iocavelli (sorry if I spelled his name wrong) is usually all over Jagfest at the MGC, he's generally the one to talk to about it. He hangs at AA Jag forums mostly these days, his handle is his name. But I'm pretty sure you know him, he was there about ten years ago when you and I were also there and we had the Battlesphere network. You probably know him better than I do, since I moved to Texas and haven't attended the MGC in a decade.
Trip WHOkins?!?
World's greatest 3DO Need for Speed racer [even 'X man' says so, digitally immortalized in the game...R.I.P.] http://3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/viewtopi ... ight=speed

MegaData
3DO ZERO USER

Post by MegaData » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:24 am

Dan Loosen and Gary Heil established The GOAT Store. Dan L. was running all over trying to organize things though. I know he was trying to find a key or something to give away a pinball machine in 2004! Dan Iacovelli does AVC Online and the Video Game Summit... I really don't know him that well. He does have badges from like every JagFest though. I've only been to Jagfest 99, 2K1, and 2K4.
With meddlesome charm,
MegaData

Gunstar
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Post by Gunstar » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:43 am

Well, Dan I., I'm pretty sure, has been in charge of any Jag presence at MGC since 2004, if there is a presence, I think he makes it happen. I know the Goat Store guys have done stuff Jag related in the past too, at MGC, but they have more than just the Jag to worry about, so I think most years it's Dan I. that's running the Jag show.
Trip WHOkins?!?
World's greatest 3DO Need for Speed racer [even 'X man' says so, digitally immortalized in the game...R.I.P.] http://3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/viewtopi ... ight=speed

Austin

Post by Austin » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:51 pm

MegaData wrote:Atari Age? Are you trying to be funny?
No, it was a logical suggestion, as were the others. Regardless whether you are a member or not at the places I recommended, you are best browsing there for information on the MGC.

For the Jag stuff, Dan I. definitely had something to do with the Jag tables at the MGC 2012 (you can find the photos via a search). Not sure about 2013, but he's the best person to reach out to regardless.

Austin

Post by Austin » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:08 pm

It appears usual Jagfest section at the MGC did indeed happen this year: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/224368 ... try2970032

MegaData
3DO ZERO USER

Post by MegaData » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:06 am

Austin, "Atari Age is a private site."
Perhaps someone could summarize?
With meddlesome charm,
MegaData

Austin

Post by Austin » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:08 pm

MegaData wrote:Austin, "Atari Age is a private site."
Perhaps someone could summarize?
I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. Unless it's just a personal rule or something (or unless something went down with you there and you're no longer allowed there), AA is an open forum, you don't need to be a member to see posts in the Jag section there.

This is from the first post racerx made in the thread. Try the FB links for photos.
Wrapped up another Midwest Gaming Classic this weekend, and Dan Iacovelli, Clay and myself again did our part to keep the Jagfest portion alive.

I felt like a jerk bouncing back and forth between upstairs and downstairs...I don't know if I'll bring arcade cabs and the Jags again next year. With the rain coming in, we ended up hurriedly loading cabs and pins and I didn't even get to enjoy my own networked Battlesphere.

All of my pics can be found here:

Friday setup: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 880&type=1

Day 1: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 880&type=1

Day 2: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 880&type=1

MegaData
3DO ZERO USER

Post by MegaData » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:45 am

Metallica pinball machine? LOL, how can they do that without the Megadeth one armed bandit?

With 4 carts, it looks like they only had one more Battlesphere than 2004. Although, if I would have gone, I suppose we could have had 6 as I am capable of supplying two consoles...
With meddlesome charm,
MegaData

Austin

Post by Austin » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:15 pm

I do hope they do this again next year. Some friends up there are trying to get me to make the trip out. I have yet to play Battlesphere, and that would certainly be a nice bonus to going.

MegaData
3DO ZERO USER

Post by MegaData » Thu May 01, 2014 3:48 am

If I could ever track down a reasonably priced Telephone Line Simulator, it'd be nice to have some networked Ultra Vortek going at an event... with Voice Modems.
With meddlesome charm,
MegaData

The Laird
3DO ZERO USER

Post by The Laird » Thu May 01, 2014 1:23 pm

MegaData wrote:If I could ever track down a reasonably priced Telephone Line Simulator, it'd be nice to have some networked Ultra Vortek going at an event... with Voice Modems.
Rush6432 got it working over broadband, same with Doom and Battlesphere for that matter.

MegaData
3DO ZERO USER

Post by MegaData » Sat May 03, 2014 1:52 am

That's good to know but how do you use Broadband without internet at home or at an event? I need a T.L.S. for my network.
With meddlesome charm,
MegaData

The Laird
3DO ZERO USER

Post by The Laird » Sun May 04, 2014 3:57 pm

MegaData wrote:That's good to know but how do you use Broadband without internet at home or at an event? I need a T.L.S. for my network.
I have 3G broadband on my phone that works everywhere and I have free tethering too so I have internet everywhere I go.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Sun May 04, 2014 6:28 pm

The Laird wrote:
MegaData wrote:That's good to know but how do you use Broadband without internet at home or at an event? I need a T.L.S. for my network.
I have 3G broadband on my phone that works everywhere and I have free tethering too so I have internet everywhere I go.
My understanding is that because Europe actually enforces the monopoly laws you can get excellent phone, internet and cable for like $50 or so altogether.
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

The Laird
3DO ZERO USER

Post by The Laird » Mon May 05, 2014 6:07 pm

a31chris wrote:
The Laird wrote:
My understanding is that because Europe actually enforces the monopoly laws you can get excellent phone, internet and cable for like $50 or so altogether.
I have 100 meg broadband, a digital set-top cable box with over 200 channels and home phone for £45 a month with Virgin.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Mon May 05, 2014 8:43 pm

That's 75 dollars US. My sister pays more than a $100 a month just for her cable.
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

Dan Iacovelli
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dan Iacovelli » Fri May 09, 2014 12:05 am

Saw my name mentioned and misspelled as well
yes,if possible I'm the guy to contact about the possibility
of Jagfest at MGC. if you want to be part of it next year let
me know.
Dan Iacovelli
AVC Online: http://avconline.atari.org
Video Game Summit: http://VideoGameSummit.net

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Fri May 09, 2014 4:09 am

Dan Iacovelli wrote:Saw my name mentioned and misspelled as well
yes,if possible I'm the guy to contact about the possibility
of Jagfest at MGC. if you want to be part of it next year let
me know.
Dan! You made it, Brother! Nice to see you. Hopefully you stick around for a bit. :wink:
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!