Some new Jag

It does float! And doesn't get soggy in milk! :)

Moderator: a31chris

sneth
Nibbler

Some new Jag

Post by sneth » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:36 pm

Picked up this little gem a while ago. I'm just now getting around to playing it.
I was a huge fan of Myst back in the day. I first completed Myst on the 3DO with some friends over, so it's a great memory for me.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Re: Some new Jag

Post by a31chris » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:59 pm

I guess some fans bought him a Jaguar CD so he's now porting the sequel over to the Jaguar as well.
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:57 pm

a31chris wrote:I guess some fans bought him a Jaguar CD so he's now porting the sequel over to the Jaguar as well.
That's great news! The Jag CD could use some more games.

The Laird
3DO ZERO USER

Post by The Laird » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:20 pm

I loved Myst, so many great memories trying to complete that with my best mate.

However Elansar just isn't very good I am afraid, such a shame as I was REALLY excited about it when I first heard about it.

Firstly, and most importantly, it's just far too short - I completed it in under 20 minutes on my first go. And once you have done this there is absolutely no reply value at all. The second problem is that some of the graphics actually look quite rough, probably because they are so compressed. Still here is hoping that the sequel remedies these problems.

sh3-rg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by sh3-rg » Wed May 07, 2014 10:45 pm

The Laird wrote:I loved Myst, so many great memories trying to complete that with my best mate.

However Elansar just isn't very good I am afraid, such a shame as I was REALLY excited about it when I first heard about it.

Firstly, and most importantly, it's just far too short - I completed it in under 20 minutes on my first go. And once you have done this there is absolutely no reply value at all. The second problem is that some of the graphics actually look quite rough, probably because they are so compressed. Still here is hoping that the sequel remedies these problems.
Take anything Kizza says regarding any Jagware game, team or individual with more than just a little pinch of salt, there's a history there and his crusade is well documented.

The game is impossible to complete in 20 minutes cold, especially for someone without two GCSEs to rub together. Even with a walkthrough it's not going to happen. The boy does not know when to quit; fibs are his way of life, especially when they can be directed to anything involving Jagware.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Wed May 07, 2014 11:35 pm

sh3-rg wrote:
The Laird wrote:I loved Myst, so many great memories trying to complete that with my best mate.

Take anything Kizza says regarding any Jagware game, team or individual with more than just a little pinch of salt, there's a history there and his crusade is well documented.

The game is impossible to complete in 20 minutes cold, especially for someone without two GCSEs to rub together. Even with a walkthrough it's not going to happen. The boy does not know when to quit; fibs are his way of life, especially when they can be directed to anything involving Jagware.
I do believe he has given some Reboot stuff good reviews on the RVG website. I'll have to look to see if my memory is accurate.

I believe other people have also mentioned Elansar is a very short game. But take that with a grain of salt because I can't remember where I heard it from for sure. They played it on another system that it was available for if I remember correctly. Was it 20 minutes short? I don't know.

Rather than calling names or starting down that route let's just disprove claims if possible and let the audience decide for themselves.
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Wed May 07, 2014 11:40 pm

sh3-rg wrote:Take anything Kizza says regarding any Jagware game, team or individual with more than just a little pinch of salt, there's a history there and his crusade is well documented.

LOL!

!!! The sh3-rg has appeared !!!

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Thu May 08, 2014 12:16 am

a31chris wrote:
sh3-rg wrote:

I do believe he has given some Reboot stuff good reviews on the RVG website. I'll have to look to see if my memory is accurate.

I believe other people have also mentioned Elansar is a very short game. But take that with a grain of salt because I can't remember where I heard it from for sure. They played it on another system that it was available for if I remember correctly. Was it 20 minutes short? I don't know.

Rather than calling names or starting down that route let's just disprove claims if possible and let the audience decide for themselves.
I don't know if I would say 20 minutes, but short. I beat it on the Android version. The graphics were quite nice and the interface was well done, but it was a short game, which is why I wasn't too upset over the cost of said game. I would have been a little upset had I paid what the Jaguar cart was going for though. I understand why it was so expensive being on cart and all, but yeah, the price on such a short game isn't for me. Not saying it isn't for anyone else though. if you like the game, groovy, I'm happy for you. And I didn't say I didn't like the game either, just saying it was a bit short.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Thu May 08, 2014 7:45 am

Even if its short as well I'll end up buying Philia since its on CD it probably won't be a limited release deal. And it shouldn't be as expensive as the cartridge.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Thu May 08, 2014 9:19 pm

a31chris wrote:Even if its short as well I'll end up buying Philia since its on CD it probably won't be a limited release deal. And it shouldn't be as expensive as the cartridge.
Hey, like I said, nothing personal against Elansar. I remember when I was first seeing the videos for it I was quite hyped for it. It's not the worst game ever and I like it more than I liked MYST for sure. I was just a little surprised how short the game was is all. Still, makes me a little curious about the sequel. Is it only for Jaguar CD or is it also releasing for the Android? Just so I know if I am buying it or not.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Fri May 09, 2014 8:01 am

Though I sucked at it and needed to cheat to get through it after a year, I REALLY liked MYST. Elansar and Philia would really have to be something for me to put it up there with Myst.

The Laird
3DO ZERO USER

Post by The Laird » Fri May 09, 2014 5:59 pm

sh3-rg wrote:

That is where having 9 GCSE, 2 A-Levels several GNVQs and a degree comes in handy I suppose :wink:

I think the playthrough that was on You Tube was completed in less time than that IIRC.

I have featured stuff by Jagware in several magazines I have written for including Retro Gamer, praised it in fact, so those comments seem a bit baseless. Ho hum.

The Laird
3DO ZERO USER

Post by The Laird » Fri May 09, 2014 6:20 pm

a31chris wrote:Even if its short as well I'll end up buying Philia since its on CD it probably won't be a limited release deal. And it shouldn't be as expensive as the cartridge.
No doubt! I will still be buying it too, I try to support every Jaguar homebrew release. Really looking forward to it.