Stepdown transformers

Got a problem with your 3DO? Ask!
Retrofanatic83
3DO ZERO USER

Stepdown transformers

Post by Retrofanatic83 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:04 pm

Hi folks
Recently my stepdown blew my trusty 100watt jap to uk which I had used for almost two decades to regularly power japanese super famicom, my 3do and USA snes and other machines....gave up. I recently got a japanese megadrive 2 and noticed the power brick was running very hot so obtained another one. Again it ran very hot but I thought I will persevere as no burning plastic smell yet :roll: anyway, and after an hour of quackshot I left the room only to return to a blank screen. No power light on that console meant wasn't immediately obvious but anyway it's dead for sure having changed the fuse....can anyone recommend a good stepdown to use in uk for powering USA and jap consoles? I have read folk stating never to use both USA and jap consoles as the voltage difference although slight is still an issue. I myself never had an issue until now and I may have been using it incorrectly in that the JP mega drive adaptor can't run that way (seems unlikely two would both overheat) by using that particular ac adaptor....any advice appreciated.

Silanda
3DO ZERO USER

Re: Stepdown transformers

Post by Silanda » Tue May 06, 2014 1:55 am

http://www.genkivideogames.com sell a Japanese made one that steps down to 100V. Seems to power my Japanese 3DO just fine.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Tue May 06, 2014 2:20 am

How can I tell if I have a Japanese 3do?
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

Retrofanatic83
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Retrofanatic83 » Tue May 06, 2014 10:21 pm

It will not play a pal copy of alone in the dark or wolfenstein and I believe it does not have an rf out on the back while the USA and pal ones do. Don't take that as gospel but I believe that is one obvious physical difference as there aren't any others I can think of. Other than if you have the box cos the japanese boxes were rather different to ours and the USA ones.

Silanda
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Silanda » Wed May 07, 2014 3:16 am

a31chris wrote:How can I tell if I have a Japanese 3do?
The FZ-10's easy: Japanese text in the intro screens + the memory manager is in Japanese. Just let it play with no disc in. To be honest, unless you consciously bought one, you probably don't have a Japanese model.

FZ-1: Not so sure but again, there's probably Japanese text in the intro screens.

Oh and Retrofanatic83, if you're just concerned about the Megadrive then forget about the stepdown converter and just plug a UK Megadrive 2 AC adapter into it. Both the UK and Japanese AC adapters should have the same output voltage.

Retrofanatic83
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Retrofanatic83 » Thu May 08, 2014 12:03 am

Thanks Silanda...I knew it was the case with the original mega drive that euro psu would work will try and find a mega drive 2 one cheap. I'm sure I found a smaller uk sega supply some time ago when looking through one of the bags o wires I have :roll: :lol:
Main thing is I have resolved the stepdown issue. Forgot I had a hong kong 240 to 110 one that had the two pin plug bought an adaptor plug to turn it into uk spec three pin and it works does not say the wattage anywhere but states it's for use with sega saturn playstation and 3do which is good. Isn't great that it has a fairly cheap feel and does not state watt rating but will allow me to play the latest games I have coming inc monster manor and J park. Yeehar :P

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Sat May 10, 2014 6:39 pm

Silanda wrote:
a31chris wrote:How can I tell if I have a Japanese 3do?
The FZ-10's easy: Japanese text in the intro screens + the memory manager is in Japanese. Just let it play with no disc in. To be honest, unless you consciously bought one, you probably don't have a Japanese model.

FZ-1: Not so sure but again, there's probably Japanese text in the intro screens.

Oh and Retrofanatic83, if you're just concerned about the Megadrive then forget about the stepdown converter and just plug a UK Megadrive 2 AC adapter into it. Both the UK and Japanese AC adapters should have the same output voltage.
Windy City Gaming, who I bought my 3do FZ-1 from said he got his shipment of merchandise from Japan that my 3do came with. So as far as I know there is a very good chance this is a Japaneze FZ-1.

However I have never seen any Japanese text in any intro or when letting the machine run without a disc in it. Its all been in English and I've had no problems with it just plugging it into my US power strip.
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

Retrofanatic83
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Retrofanatic83 » Sat May 10, 2014 11:25 pm

If you use memory manager disc it will be in japanese or check if it has an rf out on the back if it does it's not japanese as they didn't use that connection by then. I think. Can't actually move mine where it is easily to check but I am fairly sure only USA and pal machines have rf on back.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Sat May 10, 2014 11:47 pm

Just found out that mine is Japanese. I looked in the back for the RF and it said 'Made in Japan'.

Now I gotta get a step down transformer so I don't blow this machine.