Seriously, why no new port of DOOM?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Seriously, why no new port of DOOM?

Post by T2KFreeker » Fri May 16, 2014 7:41 pm

I was sitting around and thinking about stuff, like how atrocious DOOM is for the 3DO. It makes me very sad because there is no real reason on God's green Earth that there isn't a more competent version of the game for the 3DO. It's not like the system can't handle the game. You'd also figure, with all the homebrew activity on so many other systems with DOOM, someone would have possibly picked up the 3DO just to prove they can do it. I still to this day, do not understand why this hasn't happened, especially with so many of the 3DO's assets out there now. I mean, come on guys, do you really think that the half assed version of the game we got is really all the system could have handled? Just seems so unfair that the 3DO will forever be known as the system with the worst version of DOOM ever.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Re: Seriously, why no new port of DOOM?

Post by Austin » Sat May 17, 2014 6:09 pm

Have you been drinking again?

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Sat May 17, 2014 11:05 pm

We would be more likely to get a new port of JagDoom and we haven't even gotten that yet. And the 3do homebrew scene is small in comparison.
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Sun May 18, 2014 2:24 am

Austin wrote:Have you been drinking again?
O_o Uhm, nope. No9 more than anyone else making ports of classic games to retro systems like the Heretic one for the Jaguar or Wolfenstein 3D and the subsequent new port of DOOM coming for the 32X. Why?

Austin

Post by Austin » Sun May 18, 2014 2:42 am

T2KFreeker wrote:
O_o Uhm, nope. No9 more than anyone else making ports of classic games to retro systems like the Heretic one for the Jaguar or Wolfenstein 3D and the subsequent new port of DOOM coming for the 32X. Why?
Because nobody programming cares about the 3DO. :P

That and I doubt a new port would be all that easy. Heretic for the Jag is using the existing engine (and thus a lot of the original source material), which puts it more in the category of "total conversion". Wolf 3D is, well, Wolf 3D.. Unless someone tears apart the original 3DO DOOM (if that's even possible--is the source code in someone's hands?), it would have to be built from the ground up.

New port of DOOM to the 32X? I'll have to look into it. I wonder if it's actually a new "port", or if it's an enhanced/better optimized version of the original.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Sun May 18, 2014 5:38 am

Austin wrote:
T2KFreeker wrote:
Because nobody programming cares about the 3DO. :P

That and I doubt a new port would be all that easy. Heretic for the Jag is using the existing engine (and thus a lot of the original source material), which puts it more in the category of "total conversion". Wolf 3D is, well, Wolf 3D.. Unless someone tears apart the original 3DO DOOM (if that's even possible--is the source code in someone's hands?), it would have to be built from the ground up.

New port of DOOM to the 32X? I'll have to look into it. I wonder if it's actually a new "port", or if it's an enhanced/better optimized version of the original.
Uhm, okay then. I won't post anymore what if thrweads here on 3DOZone. I guess it isn't the "Cool" thing to do? Forbid I would want to see something new for a dead system that no programmers care about. I don't understand where all this hostility is coming from, but don't really appreciate it either, by the way. Sorry to have wasted your time and the bandwidth asking a question about something that obviously wouldn't be wanted by any real 3DO gamers such as yourself. I guess I'll go on watching the tumbleweeds blow through here and talk about nothing. :roll:

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Sun May 18, 2014 6:02 am

A lot of the new 'ports' seem to not be ports but totally new engines.

They have a chocolate 'Doom' engine now. I know someone is considering porting it to the Jaguar. Perhaps someone will port it for the 3do.

How much does the Doom for 3do cost? I might grab it. How bad is the frame rate?
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Sun May 18, 2014 6:08 am

a31chris wrote:A lot of the new 'ports' seem to not be ports but totally new engines.

They have a chocolate 'Doom' engine now. I know someone is considering porting it to the Jaguar. Perhaps someone will port it for the 3do.

How much does the Doom for 3do cost? I might grab it. How bad is the frame rate?
You REALLY need to polay the 3DO DOOM before you commit to buying it, especially at the price it goes for. It really is easily the worst home console version of the game, period. Only great thing about it is the music. the music for 3DO DOOM was awesome.

Austin

Post by Austin » Sun May 18, 2014 8:08 am

T2KFreeker wrote:Uhm, okay then. I won't post anymore what if thrweads here on 3DOZone. I guess it isn't the "Cool" thing to do? Forbid I would want to see something new for a dead system that no programmers care about. I don't understand where all this hostility is coming from, but don't really appreciate it either, by the way. Sorry to have wasted your time and the bandwidth asking a question about something that obviously wouldn't be wanted by any real 3DO gamers such as yourself. I guess I'll go on watching the tumbleweeds blow through here and talk about nothing. :roll:
Hostility? If it came off that way, I'm sorry (but re-reading it, I don't really see how it would).. I know you've been around here a while, but you seem to go through periods where you aren't popping in as frequently as some of us, so you may have forgotten this forum tends to have a sarcastic (but in good fun) sort of thing happening. Get with the program, man. :P

Anyway, I'm just being realistic. No one is saying you can't fantasize or make wishes, and all I'm saying is there's little point in doing that because there's a 98% chance it's not going to happen. Hell, 98% might even be putting it nicely now that I think about it.

You know what's about as sad as 3DO DOOM turning out like crap? The fact that the Saturn version isn't that much better. I do think someone should fix that one immediately.

Oh, wait.. Saturn, that's right. Not going to happen either, haha.

At least the 3DO version had a quality soundtrack. :wink:

Wait! I have an idea! Play PC DOOM.. with the 3DO soundtrack! WHY HAVEN'T I DONE THIS BEFORE.

*goes to load up PC DOOM*

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Sun May 18, 2014 11:12 am

T2KFreeker wrote:Uhm, okay then. I won't post anymore what if thrweads here on 3DOZone. I guess it isn't the "Cool" thing to do? Forbid I would want to see something new for a dead system that no programmers care about. I don't understand where all this hostility is coming from, but don't really appreciate it either, by the way. Sorry to have wasted your time and the bandwidth asking a question about something that obviously wouldn't be wanted by any real 3DO gamers such as yourself. I guess I'll go on watching the tumbleweeds blow through here and talk about nothing. :roll:
Hahaha! Chill dude 8)

No need to take the internet personally :)

A 'revised' 3DO Doom would be nice, but... I'm really only for proper physical releases for classic consoles that I can pay for and add, with pride, to my existing collection. And I have no doubt, like many of the Jag homebrew stuff, ReDoom for 3DO would be a free release, as a rom only, to be burned to your nearest CD-R.

I know many will not care for my (unintentional, but perhaps perceived as) elistist-esque view on such things, but I just love my official releases (i.e. like Another World on Jag or Impulse X etc).

The main reason? I HATE exposing my console's laser/lens to CD-R quality discs more than anything. Over time, they just kill your console(s)... :|

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Sun May 18, 2014 4:19 pm

I agree about the CD-r thing.

Also as for the ReDoom or Heretic I doubt it could be sold by anybody except id software and whoever it is who owns them now.
Last edited by a31chris on Mon May 19, 2014 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Retrofanatic83
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Retrofanatic83 » Mon May 19, 2014 12:54 pm

It is worth getting if you like doom but it is a very poor version of the game. Playable but only just and ideally with the screen size fairly low. Music does just about save it from being pointless but it's poor when compared with the superb jaguar game.

mikemacdee
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mikemacdee » Tue May 20, 2014 12:55 am

^ Disagree. It's worth getting if you're a 3do completionist. As a Doom fan you sure as hell won't bother playing it if you have it.

The worst things I recall from this port:
- Choppy as hell when you try to use a screen size larger than a matchbox.
- Auto-aim has been drinking too much, and barely works most of the time. I had an easier time hitting things with the Doom 3 shotgun, and that thing couldn't hit the broad side of a school bus at point blank.

The folks over at Doomworld would probably dig a 3do music mod, if it doesn't already exist. They got music mods for PSX Doom, Doom 64, and Rise of the Triad already.

EDIT: Also Chocolate Doom has been around for ages. It emulates the original, unmodified Doom as closely as possible on modern systems, while the other ports have optional features for enhancing gameplay (which can usually be turned off if you prefer). It'd be cool to see that ported onto a console with all levels and details intact.
Last edited by mikemacdee on Tue May 20, 2014 7:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Tue May 20, 2014 3:49 am

Austin wrote:
Hostility? If it came off that way, I'm sorry (but re-reading it, I don't really see how it would).. I know you've been around here a while, but you seem to go through periods where you aren't popping in as frequently as some of us, so you may have forgotten this forum tends to have a sarcastic (but in good fun) sort of thing happening. Get with the program, man. :P
Meh, been through quite a bit with the Jaguar community, well the not so cool users anyway, so perhaps I am still a bit on edge and I took what you said the wrong way. Sorry about that. :wink:

As for your question though, Chris, if you happen to have a Nintendo 64, which I could have sworn that you said that you do, I can highly recommend DOOM 64. If you are a DOOM fan at all, the game is outstanding. It also feels like a sequel to DOOM instead of it just being a Port. Just saying.