Star Wars X-wing shooter games.

It does float! And doesn't get soggy in milk! :)

Moderator: a31chris

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Star Wars X-wing shooter games.

Post by a31chris » Thu May 15, 2014 7:37 am

I love the Star Wars games where you get to play an X-Wing pilot. I guess I'm going to have to buy a GameCube now.

Anyways this is the kind of shooter the Jag needed some of. The Cybermorph engine could of been used to power a game where an X-Wing was attacking the Death Star and knocking out towers. Ah to dream.
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Re: Star Wars X-wing shooter games.

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Thu May 15, 2014 8:50 am

a31chris wrote:I love the Star Wars games where you get to play an X-Wing pilot. I guess I'm going to have to buy a GameCube now.

Anyways this is the kind of shooter the Jag needed some of. The Cybermorph engine could of been used to power a game where an X-Wing was attacking the Death Star and knocking out towers. Ah to dream.
As soon as you suggested this though, the first thing that popped into my head was a Star Wars/X-Wing licensed Star Fighter-based title tbh.

That engine would have been a perfect fit for what you're after, more so than Cybermorph.

Maybe a flat/gourad shaded Star Fighter type engine could have been used instead though, running at Iron Soldier levels of framerate smoothness!!?

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Fri May 16, 2014 6:06 am

I was just using Cybermorph as an example. Especially considering the sources are available. I don't think its a particularly good engine. Or its sequel, Battlemorph.

I just want to fly across the Death Star and shoot shit on the Jaguar. Is that too much to ask?
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Fri May 16, 2014 11:24 am

a31chris wrote:I just want to fly across the Death Star and shoot shit on the Jaguar. Is that too much to ask?
As of now, the Jaguar library itself, answers that question for you directly :P

Shore answer: Yes :mrgreen:

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Fri May 16, 2014 8:38 pm

NeoGeoNinja wrote:
a31chris wrote:I just want to fly across the Death Star and shoot shit on the Jaguar. Is that too much to ask?
As of now, the Jaguar library itself, answers that question for you directly :P

Shore answer: Yes :mrgreen:
The Jaguar library shows me Cybermorph. Something similar in style somewhat. And the sources are available for that. Too much to ask for? nah.

Keep a good thought.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Tue May 20, 2014 3:59 am

I hate to take this off topic Chris, but I know that you have a Saturn. You need to get Darklight Conflict. Made by the same guys that did Wing Commander, but working with a full polygonal engine and also not as storyline driven as WC. Just a fun little arcade space shooter. Cheap too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvCAviiQawI

Too bad that whoever is playing the game in the video has no idea what he is doing. I could swear there was also an arcade mode in the game where it's a free for all shootingfest until you die.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Tue May 20, 2014 6:31 am

I will check it out.

Gunstar
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Post by Gunstar » Fri May 23, 2014 1:07 am

I had Darklight Conflict when I owned a Saturn and I highly recommend it, an excellent space shooter, with very Jag-esque graphics; dark, Garrard-shaded graphics like Battlesphere. it does have an arcade mode if I remember, but it was one of my favorite Saturn games. Damn, now I want a Saturn again! :P
Trip WHOkins?!?
World's greatest 3DO Need for Speed racer [even 'X man' says so, digitally immortalized in the game...R.I.P.] http://3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/viewtopi ... ight=speed

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Fri May 23, 2014 11:48 am

I know your into your Colony Wars titles Chris (which are amazing, aren't they!?) so I reckon Darklight will be well up your street.

Only thing I hate about it, is that it was published by EA, meaning they used their horrible VHS styled case to release it in Europe. Thus, it shares different shelf space entirely, alongside NFS, RRash, Soviet Strike, Crusader and more :|

Also, if you haven't checked it out, take a look at 'Blast Radius' on PS1 too...

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Fri May 23, 2014 10:54 pm

My cousin has the ps2 with colony wars and he just moved. I'll have to check out Darkligh Conflict on Saturn.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Sun May 25, 2014 1:57 am

a31chris wrote:My cousin has the ps2 with colony wars and he just moved. I'll have to check out Darkligh Conflict on Saturn.
Oh, sure, don't take my word for it because Freeker doesn't know what he's talking about. :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Sun May 25, 2014 11:26 am

a31chris wrote:My cousin has the ps2 with colony wars and he just moved. I'll have to check out Darkligh Conflict on Saturn.
Just think...

If you had a PS1, you too could have all THREE Colony Wars, BOTH G-Police's, Blast Radius, Darklight Conflict AND Wing Commander IV - all on one console :mrgreen:

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Sun May 25, 2014 10:26 pm

NeoGeoNinja wrote:
Just think...

If you had a PS1, you too could have all THREE Colony Wars, BOTH G-Police's, Blast Radius, Darklight Conflict AND Wing Commander IV - all on one console :mrgreen:
PSX, nah I'm good.

Was playing Steel Talons on the Lynx thanks to the Freeker! and realized the Cybermorph engine could of done a version of Steel Talons for the Jaguar. Ah to dream I guess.

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Mon May 26, 2014 12:06 am

a31chris wrote:PSX, nah I'm good
Heaven forbid, you'd want to play some of the best games ever made on one of the best games consoles ever conceived, eh? :wink:

Gunstar
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Post by Gunstar » Mon May 26, 2014 3:41 pm

NeoGeoNinja wrote:
Just think...

I had no idea Darklight Conflict is on the PS1...how do the verions compare? (I'd forgotten it was an EA release)

Those games listed, and the Driver games and Iron Soldier 3 are the ONLY reasons I've ever owned a PS1. But I think I'd still rather get a Saturn for my Darklight Conflict fix, along with a lot of Saturn only games.
Trip WHOkins?!?
World's greatest 3DO Need for Speed racer [even 'X man' says so, digitally immortalized in the game...R.I.P.] http://3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/viewtopi ... ight=speed

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Mon May 26, 2014 5:25 pm

Gunstar wrote:
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
Just think...

I had no idea Darklight Conflict is on the PS1...how do the verions compare? (I'd forgotten it was an EA release)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiGA5tmsLT8

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Mon May 26, 2014 6:13 pm

That looks like a good game. I'll have to grab it for the Saturn. Never even heard of it before now.

Mostly out in space. Not too much texturing. Jaguar could of probably handled that with some reduced texturing.

Gunstar
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Post by Gunstar » Tue May 27, 2014 12:26 am

a31chris wrote:That looks like a good game. I'll have to grab it for the Saturn. Never even heard of it before now.

Mostly out in space. Not too much texturing. Jaguar could of probably handled that with some reduced texturing.
The Jag could handle it with full texturing, as-is, just going by Space War 2000 and Battlesphere, because it is in space with no landscapes to worry about. Battlepshere could have been fully textured too if the dev crew were better programmers, they are over-rated BIG TIME (Space War 2000 proves it). It might not have run at a full 30-60fps like BS does now, but 20-25fps like SW2K runs at would have been as good or better than Darklight conflict on the Saturn. DLC on the Saturn only runs about 20-30fps.
Trip WHOkins?!?

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Tue May 27, 2014 1:02 am

I know you don't like Tbird and crew but they really were awesome programmers. However their programming skills matter little when they quit over any little imagined thing.

Anyways, DarkLight Conflict it looks like I will have to get. I watched it again and it looks awesome!

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:32 pm

Ah yes, the old comparison videos. As funny as it is, I always liked the color schemes for the Saturn version of this game much better than the Playstation versions. I also think that the HUD and map look nicer on the Saturn as well. I guess you could say that the texture and color blending is a bit better on the Playstation version, but it still isn't a deal breaker for me. plus factor in that I like the Saturn pad much better than the Playstation pad and it's a no-brainer.

Chris, you get this game yet?

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:17 am

T2KFreeker wrote:Ah yes, the old comparison videos. As funny as it is, I always liked the color schemes for the Saturn version of this game much better than the Playstation versions. I also think that the HUD and map look nicer on the Saturn as well. I guess you could say that the texture and color blending is a bit better on the Playstation version, but it still isn't a deal breaker for me. plus factor in that I like the Saturn pad much better than the Playstation pad and it's a no-brainer.

Chris, you get this game yet?
No I haven't. And its only $15 in great condition on ebay. But bills etc....