Documenting 3DO Game Contents

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Documenting 3DO Game Contents

Post by bitrate » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:04 pm

I'm not sure how many people will be interested in this, but I've been wanting to throw this idea out there for a while, and so here it is.

There is almost no information available anywhere that defines what constitutes a "complete" 3DO game (or system, for that matter). A lot of 3DO games are sold as being "complete" because they have a box, jewel case, disk and instruction manual. While most people are more than happy with this (as they are more interested in just playing the game and having a nice box to display it in), it generally misses the mark of being complete as frequently 3DO games originally included various inserts, posters, mail-ins, stickers and other assorted items.

To this end, I would like to start documenting what each game came packaged with. This will be an extremely slow process that is highly likely to never approach its end.

The only way to be reasonably assured of what a 3DO game originally came packaged with is to open new old-stock (factory sealed) games. Even doing this does not ultimately define what a game was packaged with, as it is entirely possible (likely) that the contents of a given game were changed during different production runs. This is especially true for popular (long-lived) games that saw production runs spanning long periods of time.

So, while it does not always define what the contents of a given game were, it does at the very least present one of the possible configurations for a game.

I am no huge fan of opening factory sealed 3DO games. I usually much prefer to keep them sealed and in their original pristine/complete condition.
However, every once in a while I'll happen across a factory sealed game that is in poor condition, or is so commonly available in a factory sealed state, that I don't have a problem opening the game.

I've read on this forum a few times where people have stated that they like to open their factory sealed games. I'm hoping that maybe whenever a factory sealed game is opened by one of our members here, they might take pictures of the contents and upload to this thread, time permitting.

I'll start things off with a game I recently opened. The copy of Doom pictured below was in pretty rough shape so I grabbed my camera and took some pictures. I plan on doing the same thing for any factory sealed 3DO game I open from now on.

***Notes for Doom***
1) For some reason two Studio 3DO advertisement cards were included with this copy. Intentional, or accidental?
2) In addition to the long-box being sealed, the jewel case with the game and manual also come sealed in cellophane.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Silentman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Silentman » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:26 pm

Great idea, bitrate. Thank you!
Looking for sealed and rare 3DO games and stuff. Just PM me about what you have to offer.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:01 pm

That's a good idea. I don't have too many sealed 3DO titles (if any) at the moment, but I definitely have no problem opening a sealed game. If I do, I'll take some pics and add them.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:01 pm

The reason this doesnt exist is I think the game collecting community as a whole doesnt count these items.

I don't think i've seen a videogame database that goes any further than accounting for Maps.

It's admirable, but I dont care if warranty cards or flyers are included.

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:39 pm

I understand why something like this doesn't exist. Actually, something like this does exist on a small scale for the NES.

One of the reasons the game collecting community as a whole doesn't count these items is probably due to the fact that it is very difficult to pin down what came packaged with what, and when, twenty to thirty years after the fact.
If it was easy to track down, it may very vell be that the community would count these items. Or, at least the "hardcore" would.

At any rate, whenever I open a game I will record its contents.

FUJISAN
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FUJISAN » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:59 am

In Japan, most can watch the long box only with used goods.
Therefore this topic is very nice.

It becomes very precious reference materials!
Because I make a note using translation software, I think that it becomes a poor English sentence.
I'm sorry.

If there is rude expression, please point it out.
Thanking you in advance.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:02 am

Great idea, Bitrate!

So when are you going to crack open your entire sealed collection? :lol:

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:41 am

Id love to see that happen.

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:52 am

Should I start with Dinopark?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:05 am

bitrate wrote:Should I start with Dinopark?
Lol, better start small and work your way up. What are some more common games ... Burning Soldier? Pebble Beach Golf? Pick something like that.

Now that I'm thinking about it, didn't you have an old post showing off dozens of sealed Return Fire games?
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

JohnnyDude
3DO ZERO USER

Post by JohnnyDude » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:08 am

I like the idea for sure, I'm all for archiving info like this.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:30 am

Found it!

http://3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/viewtopi ... eturn+fire

Open one of these bad boys. I can already confirm there are no instructions. :P

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:03 am

Heh, good memory Trev.

I believe I traded some of those for other games. I'll have to dig through boxes to be sure though.

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:50 pm

I recently cracked the seal on a "bust a move" , if my photobucket account is still around I'll start with that one
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

Austin

Post by Austin » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:25 am

I received my CPU Bach last week. I've already taken the wrapping off, but I didn't discard any of the internals. I'll take photos of it soon.

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:33 am

Awesome guys!

Three titles documented. We're almost done!

pitsunami
3DO ZERO USER

Post by pitsunami » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:14 pm

Good idea but its a pretty long and painfull project
i will help ofcourse where i can if sth organised begins.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:55 am

Heh, I actually forgot about this. I'm turning it into a sticky.

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:45 pm

Excellent!
Thank you 3DO Experience. :D

I have another game I will be posting shortly.

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Sat May 18, 2013 3:51 pm

Here are the contents of the three sealed games I've opened:

Gridders
Long box (This is the kind with internal support pieces that holds the jewel case in place.)
Product Registration card (it has a black and yellow chevron pattern, like the block on the box
Jewel case with instruction manual and back art insert
Game disc

Out of this World
Long box (This is just a plain box with no internal support pieces, so everything floats around inside.)
Product registration card
Large format instruction manual
Jewel case with front and back art inserts (the front insert has the story printed on the inside, but has no internal content, since the manual is separate)
Game disc

Star Fighter
Long box (with internal support pieces)
3DO Club registration card
3DO Direct Catalog (this is actually pretty cool and might be worth a separate post)
Warranty/Product Registration card
Ordering card for 3DO Game Secrets and 3DO Game Secrets 2 books
Advert card for 3DO Direct with screenshots of a bunch of games

goldenband
3DO ZERO USER

Post by goldenband » Sat May 25, 2013 7:46 pm

I can contribute the following if needed:

Immercenary
The Incredible Machine
StarBlade
Stellar 7: Draxon's Revenge
Pebble Beach Golf Links NFR / Twisted: The Game Show "demo copy" NFR (my copies are shrinkwrapped together, is that normal?)

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Re: Documenting 3DO Game Contents

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:45 pm

W-W-W-Welcome to Pataank!

The game comes with both a Warranty Card and a card to order the Soundtrack CD for $9.95 + $2.50 S&H. These cars can be removed from either top or bottom. When removed from the top with the back facing you they come out upside down with the front of the soundtrack CD card on top, offer facing you. Actual Game must be removed from the bottom, facing the way you would expect.
In addition to the long-box being sealed, the jewel case with the game and manual also come sealed in cellophane.

Possibly next week!

"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Austin

Post by Austin » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:38 am

I am sure this was meant to be a community thing, but it just dawned on me, Bitrate, don't you have something like multiple sealed copies of every 3DO game ever made?

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:45 pm

Austin wrote:I am sure this was meant to be a community thing, but it just dawned on me, Bitrate, don't you have something like multiple sealed copies of every 3DO game ever made?
I don't think he wants to open those. I confess that I don't understand why anyone would want multiple copies of a game, but Bitrate must have his reasons. Otherwise, I'm sure by now he would have sold his extra copies of Robinson's Requiem and Lucienne's Quest, if nothing else!

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:05 pm

Looks like my sealed Strahl is going to a good home. I'm just waiting for the money and the address. I did want to open it but it's better that someone who wants to keep it unopened take care of it.

Austin

Post by Austin » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:15 am

3DO Experience wrote:Looks like my sealed Strahl is going to a good home. I'm just waiting for the money and the address. I did want to open it but it's better that someone who wants to keep it unopened take care of it.
I am glad you were able to find a good home for it. :)

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:59 am

Since Strahl is gone I'll show off C.P.U. Bach.

Longbox, long thin cardboard insert that holds the CD. The manual, behind that a warranty mailer and behind that is a sheet going over the software license & limited warranty.

CRV
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CRV » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:01 pm

Didn't realize that was the box for C.P.U. Bach. I seem to remember it being in an old Electronics Boutique catalog I had, and it looked different.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:52 pm

Well, The Incredible Machine comes new with the Game Disc as well as the instruction booklet. The registration card is one of those punch out deals at the last back cover of the book and can detach though the perforated lines. The box is one of the ones with the front door and plastic insides to hold the disc that the trays adjust through the spring monts beneath. Nothing else was in the box, but it's nice to rescue a sealed Long Box game from shelf doom though.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

goldenband
3DO ZERO USER

Post by goldenband » Wed May 28, 2014 7:25 pm

T2KFreeker wrote:Well, The Incredible Machine comes new with the Game Disc as well as the instruction booklet. The registration card is one of those punch out deals at the last back cover of the book and can detach though the perforated lines. The box is one of the ones with the front door and plastic insides to hold the disc that the trays adjust through the spring monts beneath. Nothing else was in the box, but it's nice to rescue a sealed Long Box game from shelf doom though.
My Incredible Machine is the same way. I just hauled out my sealed games, took pictures of them all, and opened up Incredible Machine and Stellar 7: Draxon's Revenge. Here are the sealed games -- pics of IM and S7:DR in the next post...
P1070713.jpeg
P1070713.jpeg (94.03 KiB) Viewed 53975 times
P1070714.jpeg
P1070714.jpeg (99.45 KiB) Viewed 53975 times
P1070715.jpeg
P1070715.jpeg (98.5 KiB) Viewed 53975 times