Who else has an arcade? OR This is my arcade/story

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

FZ-10
3DO ZERO USER

Who else has an arcade? OR This is my arcade/story

Post by FZ-10 » Fri May 30, 2014 6:47 am

While I love my new 3DO, and several other consoles of course, it's not the end of the gaming road for me. While I know for whatever reason Sega is absolutely hated around here (to be fair, they didn't really kill the 3DO... Saturn didn't fair much better, especially in the US), I'll carefully post my fairly recent acquisition.

It's my first arcade machine, and I got it about 3 weeks ago or so. Company bias aside, I hope you all can ask yourself what arcade machines really bring out the kid in you, and understand where I'm coming from :). Jurassic Park: The Lost World is that game for me. I have a few favorites, all Sega for the most part. Daytona USA is my favorite racing game of all time, and I still remember playing Virtua Fighter 1 in the arcade for the first time in an entrance of a Toys R Us while picking up a new copy of Super Mario Bros 3 for my NES, as a kid. Sega Rally is definitely up there (I actually restored a Celica and bought most of the parts needed to make it a GT-Four rally car....with the Castrol decals and sega logos for good measure. More on this if you want to know more, haha. Was in gaming sites around the globe with that one...)

Yes, I was a huge Nintendoid. From the NES to the N64, the only systems I ever owned were Nintendo. But Sega was always that cooler company, with cooler games, and usually better graphics (arcade wise...) that beckoned you to come and be amazed. And their arcade games honestly still hold the test of time. Especially the ones named above.

Arcades were really special for me. 90s arcades are what I got to experience (I'm now 29), and I'm really happy I can say that, as it was the last hurrah of the arcade scene. And I still think 90s arcade machines hold some of the best gameplay and general fun experiences you can get in a cabinet. I used to beg to go to arcades on the weekend, and would blow my allowance on all of Sega's latest.

So .. with that out of the way.. now that I can afford it, I searched down Jurassic Park: The Lost World. Most machines are beat up. They're a popular game, and most have been used for decades (or still used even till today). Common issues are broken guns, heavy burn in or loss of color on the monitor, broken aiming mech for the guns, and just general beat up cabinets. That and for these hunks of junk they want 2500-3700 dollars. Yeah... no thanks.

I found one a state away that's been in a private collection since the 90s. It's in AMAZING shape, and I still can't believe I got it up three flights of stairs to my place here in AZ. It's a juggernaut weighing about 500 lbs.. and it was a nightmare to move.

But everything is in perfect order, not a single spec of dust inside, no burn in, perfectly calibrated guns, etc. It's just like the arcade... no.. better than the arcade, as you don't have to wrestle with failing, improperly maintained equipment :). And all for about a thousand bucks. Heck, yeah!

So with that LONG (and hopefully not too boring) story out of the way, here are some pictures of the beauty. Do you have an arcade machine? Feel free to post pictures and your story here if you do, or tell us which one you'd want if you could!

podcast & vidcast @ gaikokugamers.com
daytonausa @ atariage.com
lostworldarcade @ xbl

sneth
Nibbler

Re: Who else has an arcade? OR This is my arcade/story

Post by sneth » Fri May 30, 2014 5:16 pm

I have an MVS 4 slot.

These things are massive, which is why I don't have more. I would need a garage or basement to fit any more games.
It's also way more maintenance than people realize. These old electronics are ....getting old.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Fri May 30, 2014 11:06 pm

I have an original Midway Killer Instinct 2 cabinet. It's JAMMA, so I have a Sega ST-V arcade board dual-mounted alongside the stock KI2 board on the inside of it. I have a few other standard JAMMA boards I can swap in as well, like Double Dragon.

I currently have five pinball machines--two newer Stern games, one early '90s Data East (who would later turn into Sega Pinball, then Stern), one mid-'80s Gottlieb/Premier, and one late '70s Bally.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat May 31, 2014 1:38 am

I got a NEO-GEO MVK for free around the time of one of my birthdays.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

FZ-10
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FZ-10 » Sat May 31, 2014 6:34 am

Awesome guys! Glad I'm not the only one who has the pleasure of having arcade hardware.

I had a 4 slot MVS as well... well, it was consolized, not the whole cabinet. I donno, it was fine and all, but it wasn't the same. I ended up getting a cheaper Neo Geo CD for my Neo Geo cravings. If I ever get another MVS, it'll be the actual cabinet. :)
lostworldarcade @ xbl

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Sat May 31, 2014 1:08 pm

Nice! The Lost World is a great choice of dedicated cabinet. I've never played or seen a stand up one before though! Never even knew that existed. I've only ever played/seen the sit down ones myself over the years.

I don't own a cab myself, but if I could, I'd probably have a HOTD 1 cabinet, like yours, basically.

Probably my fave light gun game which (criminally) never received a proper accurate home port.

And it's had numerous opportunities to appear too:

On the Wii alongside 2 & 3
On PSN as a Move title
On PS2 in Japan as a SEGA AGES 2500 release

Etc...

Austin

Post by Austin » Sat May 31, 2014 5:58 pm

NeoGeoNinja wrote:Probably my fave light gun game which (criminally) never received a proper accurate home port.
I know the Saturn version sort of sucked (or really sucked), but what about the late '90s PC release? That seemed pretty spot-on to me.

FZ-10
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FZ-10 » Sat May 31, 2014 7:26 pm

Austin wrote:
NeoGeoNinja wrote:Probably my fave light gun game which (criminally) never received a proper accurate home port.
I know the Saturn version sort of sucked (or really sucked), but what about the late '90s PC release? That seemed pretty spot-on to me.
To be fair, who honestly plays light gun games on a PC :P.

And I know it wasn't faithful, but I kinda liked the Saturn version of HotD :). Well... not looks wise, but it played well enough.
lostworldarcade @ xbl

FZ-10
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FZ-10 » Sat May 31, 2014 7:29 pm

NeoGeoNinja wrote:Nice! The Lost World is a great choice of dedicated cabinet. I've never played or seen a stand up one before though! Never even knew that existed. I've only ever played/seen the sit down ones myself over the years.

I don't own a cab myself, but if I could, I'd probably have a HOTD 1 cabinet, like yours, basically.

Probably my fave light gun game which (criminally) never received a proper accurate home port.

And it's had numerous opportunities to appear too:

On the Wii alongside 2 & 3
On PSN as a Move title
On PS2 in Japan as a SEGA AGES 2500 release

Etc...
Fun bit of info. The Lost World cab can actually play the HotD if you switch out the boards. Otherwise the entire setup inside can play that PCB. At least this is what I've read, could be wrong.

And yeah, if I had brought home the Lost World cab you sit in my wife would have had my head, hahaha. This version is much rarer, for sure, but I have seen them from time to time. Usually they were in smaller arcades, or bars and movie theaters. Places where space was limited. You usually saw this in places that also had the stand up version of Daytona USA instead of the proper car seated ones. Although, I never liked that version of Daytona USA.

Playing Jurassic Park standing is just fine... playing Daytona USA standing... I don't think so....
lostworldarcade @ xbl

Austin

Post by Austin » Sat May 31, 2014 7:35 pm

FZ-10 wrote:To be fair, who honestly plays light gun games on a PC :P.
Well, yeah, kind of like the Wii (which also effectively uses a mouse pointer on screen, not a light gun).