What is SS Worth?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

FZ-10
3DO ZERO USER

What is SS Worth?

Post by FZ-10 » Thu May 29, 2014 7:34 pm

I want to get Samurai Shodown. Just curious what a long box version is worth in mint shape? Got a guy I know locally who has one for 65. Seems high, but then again, so do the ebay ones ($100+).

Thanks in advance, guys.
podcast & vidcast @ gaikokugamers.com
daytonausa @ atariage.com
lostworldarcade @ xbl

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Re: What is SS Worth?

Post by 3DOKid » Thu May 29, 2014 10:00 pm

$65 American Dollars for Samurai Shodown?

65 Japanese Yen maybe.

Super pristine with only Trip Hawkins lip stains on the case: $20.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Fri May 30, 2014 2:35 am

I was going to say, Samurai Shodown is beyond common for the 3DO. It's worth $25.00 max. Great game but $65.00 is insane considering an actual Neo Geo cart of the game runs less than $15.00 and Neo Geo stuff is known to be expensive!
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

FZ-10
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FZ-10 » Fri May 30, 2014 3:57 am

I get that Japanese copies are 25 bucks, but seriously... look it up. The American long boxes are all over 100-150 clams right now online. This is the cheapest US copy I can find, and I really want it badly :/
lostworldarcade @ xbl

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Fri May 30, 2014 4:02 am

FZ-10 wrote:I get that Japanese copies are 25 bucks, but seriously... look it up. The American long boxes are all over 100-150 clams right now online. This is the cheapest US copy I can find, and I really want it badly :/
I'm telling you to wait for a good deal man. That oprice is really up there. Seriously, my Samurai Shodown was boxed and I got it for around $25.00 shipped less than a year ago. If people start paying rediculous prices for these games, this will become another console thyat get's raped by the ebay community. The only way to keep the prices fair is to not pay rediculous prices. Before you pay that, at least let me look to see if I can find it for you cheaper. Give me a moment and I'll send you a link if I can.

Here's a complete one all the way down on Amazin for $24.00 plus shipping. They list the box as acceptable, but usually they end up being in really good shape. I know it doesn't say "Mint", but it saves you like $40.00 or so bucks without overspending on it. Says it has the long box.

Whoops, I screwed up and broke rule number 4. Edited the post appropriately to remove the sale link to Amazon. Sorry, was just trying to help another user out of not being screwed over by evilbay prices is all.
Last edited by T2KFreeker on Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

FZ-10
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FZ-10 » Fri May 30, 2014 4:06 am

T2KFreeker wrote:
FZ-10 wrote:I get that Japanese copies are 25 bucks, but seriously... look it up. The American long boxes are all over 100-150 clams right now online. This is the cheapest US copy I can find, and I really want it badly :/
I'm telling you to wait for a good deal man. That oprice is really up there. Seriously, my Samurai Shodown was boxed and I got it for around $265.00 shipped less than a year ago. If p0eople start paying rediculous prices for these games, this will become another console thyat get's raped by the ebay community. The only way to keep the prices fair is to not pay rediculous prices. Before you pay that, at least let me look to see if I can find it for you cheaper. Give me a moment and I'll send you a link if I can.

You paid $265.00 O_O ?

How is that better than a complete, long boxed copy for 65? LOL :)

Thanks for the help, bud.
lostworldarcade @ xbl

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Fri May 30, 2014 4:11 am

FZ-10 wrote:
T2KFreeker wrote:
I'm telling you to wait for a good deal man. That oprice is really up there. Seriously, my Samurai Shodown was boxed and I got it for around $265.00 shipped less than a year ago. If p0eople start paying rediculous prices for these games, this will become another console thyat get's raped by the ebay community. The only way to keep the prices fair is to not pay rediculous prices. Before you pay that, at least let me look to see if I can find it for you cheaper. Give me a moment and I'll send you a link if I can.

You paid $265.00 O_O ?

How is that better than a complete, long boxed copy for 65? LOL :)

Thanks for the help, bud.
Obviously was a typo. LOL I sent you a link on Amazon in a PM for a complete one for $24.00 plus shipping. If you missed the link above. Hope it helps out man.

FZ-10
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FZ-10 » Fri May 30, 2014 4:15 am

T2KFreeker wrote:
Obviously was a typo. LOL I sent you a link on Amazon in a PM for a complete one for $24.00 plus shipping. If you missed the link above. Hope it helps out man.
Figured as much, haha. I just bought it. You guys are the best! Thank you!!!
lostworldarcade @ xbl

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Fri May 30, 2014 4:22 am

FZ-10 wrote:
T2KFreeker wrote:
Figured as much, haha. I just bought it. You guys are the best! Thank you!!!
Any time. I hate to see a new guy in our community get screwed over for something that just isn't worth what they are asking. It's a cool game, but not $100.00 cool, you know what I mean? Anyway, enjoy.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Fri May 30, 2014 10:48 pm

You need to be patient and wait for one to pop up on eBay as a legitimate auction, with a low starting price (no "Buy it Now" option). 3DO stuff is stupid expensive on eBay.. Or I should say, idiots list most 3DO games for stupid-expensive prices. If you actually find stuff at auction though, you will find they don't typically sell for much, because there's not all that much interest in the 3DO. I could easily see you snagging a nice auctioned copy of Samurai Shodown for $20 - $30, tops.

FZ-10
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FZ-10 » Sat May 31, 2014 7:03 am

Austin wrote:You need to be patient and wait for one to pop up on eBay as a legitimate auction, with a low starting price (no "Buy it Now" option). 3DO stuff is stupid expensive on eBay.. Or I should say, idiots list most 3DO games for stupid-expensive prices. If you actually find stuff at auction though, you will find they don't typically sell for much, because there's not all that much interest in the 3DO. I could easily see you snagging a nice auctioned copy of Samurai Shodown for $20 - $30, tops.

That's helped me a few times. I've gotten a number of 3DO games cheaply by doing auctions. But a couple I bid on went on to get ridiculous bids later in the auction. Trip'd was like that.
lostworldarcade @ xbl

Austin

Post by Austin » Sat May 31, 2014 5:43 pm

FZ-10 wrote:But a couple I bid on went on to get ridiculous bids later in the auction. Trip'd was like that.
Clarify what you mean by ridiculous?

Trip'd was a $15 CIB game a couple of years ago. There's the potential people are becoming aware of it and are picking it up, but it seems unlikely it would jump that much.. Maybe $30 tops.

There are a few games on the system that are legitimately worth more than your usual $15 - $25 game. Stuff like Star Control II, Seal of the Pharoah (although whether that one actually has enough game there to be worth it is another issue all together), weird Japan WARP exclusives, Captain Quazar, etc. But most shouldn't cost you more than that range via auction, unless you have happened to get the bad luck of the draw and there are coincidentally a few other rabid 3DO newbies like yourself bidding on the same stuff, heh.

*edit: I just did an eBay search for Trip'd. It appears there was a nice CIB copy that sold for $35, BIN. Another for about $40 shipped, via auction. Not awful if CIB is really what you want to do..

What you will also likely find the longer you stick with it is that with the 3DO, prices fluctuate wildly over the years, or even months. One day you have a bidding war over something, then the next it's like nobody knows the item exists.

FZ-10
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FZ-10 » Sat May 31, 2014 7:18 pm

Austin wrote:
FZ-10 wrote:But a couple I bid on went on to get ridiculous bids later in the auction. Trip'd was like that.
Clarify what you mean by ridiculous?

Trip'd was a $15 CIB game a couple of years ago. There's the potential people are becoming aware of it and are picking it up, but it seems unlikely it would jump that much.. Maybe $30 tops.

There are a few games on the system that are legitimately worth more than your usual $15 - $25 game. Stuff like Star Control II, Seal of the Pharoah (although whether that one actually has enough game there to be worth it is another issue all together), weird Japan WARP exclusives, Captain Quazar, etc. But most shouldn't cost you more than that range via auction, unless you have happened to get the bad luck of the draw and there are coincidentally a few other rabid 3DO newbies like yourself bidding on the same stuff, heh.

*edit: I just did an eBay search for Trip'd. It appears there was a nice CIB copy that sold for $35, BIN. Another for about $40 shipped, via auction. Not awful if CIB is really what you want to do..

What you will also likely find the longer you stick with it is that with the 3DO, prices fluctuate wildly over the years, or even months. One day you have a bidding war over something, then the next it's like nobody knows the item exists.

I thought I recognized your avatar... hello fellow AtariAge member :). That's another game I forgot I need to look for, Star Control II. Yeah, I think it's a combination of horribly high BINs and people bidding against each other till the game is going for far more than it should, like a copy of Sailor Moon I saw got bid up to nearly 50 bucks plus shipping....when there were three other auctions with bids only up to about 18 (one of which I won for 30). Unfortunately, sometimes these BIN prices trip people as to what a game is worth, and they bid much higher than they should.

How is Captain Q? I've been looking at that game on youtube, but it's hard to tell if it's good based on the footage.
lostworldarcade @ xbl

Austin

Post by Austin » Sat May 31, 2014 7:25 pm

Captain Quazar is probably one of the better games on the system, if you like isometric, run 'n gun shooters (with mission-oriented elements). Has a good sense of humor too.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:34 am

Yeah, Captain Quasar is a pretty cool little game. Worth having in your collection, especially since that one seems to have come down in price of late, surprisingly. I remember when it was priced a bit higher than it is now. Snag it now while the price is low.

FZ-10
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FZ-10 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:13 am

Sweet! I'll have to pick it up :D
lostworldarcade @ xbl

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:01 pm

I've toyed with the idea of getting Captain Quasar before, but was turned off by the price. I know it's one of the best rated 3DO exclusives, but from the gameplay vids I've seen it just looks like a good bargain bin type game. I still wanted to try it but not at the asking prices. If it's been going down lately I might have to keep an eye out myself.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:52 pm

Martin III wrote:I've toyed with the idea of getting Captain Quasar before, but was turned off by the price. I know it's one of the best rated 3DO exclusives, but from the gameplay vids I've seen it just looks like a good bargain bin type game. I still wanted to try it but not at the asking prices. If it's been going down lately I might have to keep an eye out myself.
The good news is that Captain Quasar these days, for just the jewel case version with the back insert and booklet has been going for around $15.00 to $20.00. Much cheaper than it was a few years back. Thing I have noticed though is that TRIP'd has been climbing in price for some reason. Cool game and all, but really shocked by the price of late. A loose one on evilbay just sold for almost $50.00 this week! :shock: Mind you, I know it's a WAY cool puzzle game and all, but I wonder if it has to do with the death of Kenji Eno and him getting cult status or something because D is another one that was getting up there but has finally started to fall in price some.

Anyway, I still think that Captain Quasar was a freakin' cool little game. Really fun if you like those types of games anyway.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:18 am

By the way, FZ-10, how did that Samurai Shodown look that I hooked you up with through that link? Was mit in good shape or what? I'm hoping so.

FZ-10
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FZ-10 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:46 am

T2KFreeker wrote:By the way, FZ-10, how did that Samurai Shodown look that I hooked you up with through that link? Was mit in good shape or what? I'm hoping so.

Do be honest?

The box was put in an envelope. Yep. Got crushed. It sucks, but the box is alrightish and the rest is great.
lostworldarcade @ xbl

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:42 am

FZ-10 wrote:
T2KFreeker wrote:By the way, FZ-10, how did that Samurai Shodown look that I hooked you up with through that link? Was mit in good shape or what? I'm hoping so.

Do be honest?

The box was put in an envelope. Yep. Got crushed. It sucks, but the box is alrightish and the rest is great.
Ouch! That hurts man. What idiot puts a flimsy cardboard box in an envelope and sends it through the mail? This is why 3DO users can't have nice things!

FZ-10
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FZ-10 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:14 am

T2KFreeker wrote:
FZ-10 wrote:

Do be honest?

Ouch! That hurts man. What idiot puts a flimsy cardboard box in an envelope and sends it through the mail? This is why 3DO users can't have nice things!

Yeah, gave him a lot of shit for it. He gave me a partial refund, but whatever...
lostworldarcade @ xbl

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:35 am

[/quote]

Do be honest?

The box was put in an envelope. Yep. Got crushed. It sucks, but the box is alrightish and the rest is great.[/quote]

Ouch! That hurts man. What idiot puts a flimsy cardboard box in an envelope and sends it through the mail? This is why 3DO users can't have nice things![/quote]

Yeah, gave him a lot of shit for it. He gave me a partial refund, but whatever...[/quote]

I just thought about that. I hope that my copy of Starblade that I just got doesn't come mailed in a bubble mailer. I'll be really upset, especially since it's brand new and sealed! :shock:

Austin

Post by Austin » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:02 am

That's the problem with buying 3DO games on eBay. I mean, yeah, other systems have similar issues (like Saturn and Sega CD longbox cases being sent in envelopes), but the 3DO probably has it the worst, no thanks to the typical, flimsy cardboard box that is easily crushed.

FZ-10
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FZ-10 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:15 am

Austin wrote:That's the problem with buying 3DO games on eBay. I mean, yeah, other systems have similar issues (like Saturn and Sega CD longbox cases being sent in envelopes), but the 3DO probably has it the worst, no thanks to the typical, flimsy cardboard box that is easily crushed.

This was Amazon, but yeah.. same idea. The problem is, good luck finding 3DO games locally, ya know?
lostworldarcade @ xbl

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:59 am

I got my Samurai Showdown for $5 loose or something.
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

FZ-10
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FZ-10 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:00 am

a31chris wrote:I got my Samurai Showdown for $5 loose or something.
Loose go for a lot less. But 5 isn't a bad price at all for just a disc. :)
lostworldarcade @ xbl

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:59 am

Austin wrote:That's the problem with buying 3DO games on eBay. I mean, yeah, other systems have similar issues (like Saturn and Sega CD longbox cases being sent in envelopes), but the 3DO probably has it the worst, no thanks to the typical, flimsy cardboard box that is easily crushed.
Nah.

SNES, NES, JAG, N64, Gameboys of all eras etc...

They all have it rough dude. Especially here in the UK were old games are considered - simultaneously - disposable kids entertainment and expensive collectible commodities with expensive price tags... JUST BECAUSE... eBay pricing.

Charge you a fortune for the game... Pack it and send it like its $2 water pistol!

I actually recorded my receiving a delivery, after hearing a rattle inside the box. I sent the video link alongside my complaint to the eBay seller, requesting a full refund. Yep, I just opened it all up on camera, just to protect my ass tbh. It's something I will continue to do in future, where necessary.

Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdnLepUMELc&sns=em

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:22 pm

I understand where you both are coming from. The big thing with the 3DO boxes is that the top half of the boxes are generally empty, leading to some much uglier damage. Either way, it's very annoying because these people or companies charge you the highest that they can for shipping, yet make sure to use the cheapest method of actually sending it out. Videogames in cardboard boxes shouldn't be sent in a bubble mailer, period. It's just downright BS, especially if buying from an actual Videogame Dealer. They should know better because there is no way that they don't already know that this could happen.

Austin

Post by Austin » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:25 pm

NeoGeoNinja wrote:Nah.

SNES, NES, JAG, N64, Gameboys of all eras etc...

They all have it rough dude. Especially here in the UK were old games are considered - simultaneously - disposable kids entertainment and expensive collectible commodities with expensive price tags... JUST BECAUSE... eBay pricing.
Sure, I every system is at risk, but some have a better chance at holding up in a bubble envelope than others (not that they should be packed that way to begin with). Considering the average 3DO box holds more air than the actual product it serves to protect, they are more prone to damage. ;)