shareware Heretic for the Jag

It does float! And doesn't get soggy in milk! :)

Moderator: a31chris

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Re: shareware Heretic for the Jag

Post by T2KFreeker » Sun May 18, 2014 6:05 am

a31chris wrote:It looks really good.
Yeah, graphically it's impressive if it is running on the real hardware. I adore Heretic, so pretty cool for the Jaguar owners that they get this game. Still, sadly it's so limited of a release. it is what it is though.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Mon May 19, 2014 8:52 pm

T2KFreeker wrote:
a31chris wrote:It looks really good.
Yeah, graphically it's impressive if it is running on the real hardware. I adore Heretic, so pretty cool for the Jaguar owners that they get this game. Still, sadly it's so limited of a release. it is what it is though.
It's running in Project Tempest.
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Sun May 25, 2014 10:31 pm

Latest video looks really good.

2 things missing is the souls rising up out of the dead zombiies? What are those things? And proof that the look up/down function is implemented.
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Mon May 26, 2014 8:55 pm

I'd like to see this running on real hardware. Not that I doubt that it works but I want to see what the coloring looks like. It looks real beautiful in this video. And I don't think the PC version was this bright. I gotta find where I put my GOG copy goddammit.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Mon May 26, 2014 9:05 pm

I went to re-download it off GOG and they no longer have it at all. I had better find my old copy then. Sh*)*

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Thu May 29, 2014 3:14 pm

Compared this to the PC version. So it looks legit. It shows evidence of being put together. I like the coloring compared to PC version but the lighting isn't in yet and some of the backgrounds. Along with the rising souls from the big tan dudes.

PC on the left. Jaguar on the right.
hereticpcvsjag.jpg
hereticpcvsjag.jpg (108.05 KiB) Viewed 16099 times

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Fri May 30, 2014 11:01 pm

Chris, you can get the PC original on Steam. Or download the shareware episode somewhere and run it through DOS Box, if you want to play it again.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Sat May 31, 2014 7:39 am

Yeah I remembered that is where I got it is from Steam. I got it confused with my purchases from GOG. I got BLOOD from GOG. Which for some reason I never could get into. I'll give it another try.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Sat May 31, 2014 7:41 am

I remember some of the levels where it had the sounds of the Necromancers chanting off in the distance. It was awesomely eerie. I loved it.

Austin

Post by Austin » Sat May 31, 2014 5:56 pm

a31chris wrote:Yeah I remembered that is where I got it is from Steam. I got it confused with my purchases from GOG. I got BLOOD from GOG. Which for some reason I never could get into. I'll give it another try.
Blood is a really, really tough game. Difficult AI, shooting mechanics that aren't as lenient/forgiving as a DOOM engine game, etc. It is pretty over the top though and absurd (in a good way) if you can get into it though.

The Laird
3DO ZERO USER

Post by The Laird » Sat May 31, 2014 6:26 pm

The game is definitely legit, there is no question of that believe me!

It's coming along nicely now too, not a million miles from the finish line.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:26 pm

Austin wrote:
a31chris wrote:Yeah I remembered that is where I got it is from Steam. I got it confused with my purchases from GOG. I got BLOOD from GOG. Which for some reason I never could get into. I'll give it another try.
Blood is a really, really tough game. Difficult AI, shooting mechanics that aren't as lenient/forgiving as a DOOM engine game, etc. It is pretty over the top though and absurd (in a good way) if you can get into it though.
I remember now why I couldn't get into this. There is no way that I can see to alter the controls. I'm stuck with the stupid default layout.

Austin

Post by Austin » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:34 pm

a31chris wrote:
Austin wrote:
I remember now why I couldn't get into this. There is no way that I can see to alter the controls. I'm stuck with the stupid default layout.
The controls are changed via the original Setup.exe file.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:18 pm

Thanks! I got controllers to work too but DOSbox acts funny with them like it's not clearing out input memory correctly.

Austin

Post by Austin » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:47 pm

Check to see if there is a source port available for the Build Engine, like there is for the DOOM and Quake engines. Something like this will allow you to run it on modern hardware without DOS BOX (which can be a pain to deal with), and these source ports usually have more intuitive/streamlined control options.

Coffeejits
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Coffeejits » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:21 pm

Any updates on this?
No one dies a virgin. Life screws us all.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:24 pm

I haven't checked lately. I'm assuming the Laird will pop up with something if there is an update. But check original linked to thread if you're curious.

Coffeejits
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Coffeejits » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:28 pm

Thanks, but just tried the link. Can't access it. Searched the forum and can't find the thread. Is it me or is the thread gone?

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:13 pm

Looks like they want people to log in.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:18 pm

Not too worried about this or its exclusive crap. There are similar things coming from far better programmers and everyone will get to enjoy it.

Coffeejits
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Coffeejits » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:33 am

Well, apparently, something has happened with both rush and Laird. From what I can tell from other threads at RVG, Laird has taken down all of his reviews and rush has deleted many of his posts. Don't know what happened, but evidently somebody/everybody/anybody is pissed. Again with the goddamn drama. Hopefully, Heretic will be finished. With all the drama going on, regardless of the forum, my only advice to people that feel that they need to remove themselves from the "community" is this: the only way to silence your critics is to leave them speechless. Ergo, finish what you started and finish it with style.

Austin

Post by Austin » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:32 am

Bahahaha... total facepalm. If Laird's involved though, it doesn't at all surprise me.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:39 am

Coffeejits wrote:Well, apparently, something has happened with both rush and Laird. From what I can tell from other threads at RVG, Laird has taken down all of his reviews and rush has deleted many of his posts. Don't know what happened, but evidently somebody/everybody/anybody is pissed. Again with the goddamn drama. Hopefully, Heretic will be finished. With all the drama going on, regardless of the forum, my only advice to people that feel that they need to remove themselves from the "community" is this: the only way to silence your critics is to leave them speechless. Ergo, finish what you started and finish it with style.
This community is rife with quitters.

Actually as the moderator of the Jaguar section I am not really going to allow any new projects to be announced unless there is really something significant to show work wise.

Walter_j64bit
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Walter_j64bit » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:09 pm

a31chris wrote:
Coffeejits wrote:Well, apparently, something has happened with both rush and Laird. From what I can tell from other threads at RVG, Laird has taken down all of his reviews and rush has deleted many of his posts. Don't know what happened, but evidently somebody/everybody/anybody is pissed. Again with the goddamn drama. Hopefully, Heretic will be finished. With all the drama going on, regardless of the forum, my only advice to people that feel that they need to remove themselves from the "community" is this: the only way to silence your critics is to leave them speechless. Ergo, finish what you started and finish it with style.
This community is rife with quitters.

Actually as the moderator of the Jaguar section I am not really going to allow any new projects to be announced unless there is really something significant to show work wise.
I've longed in and I get nothing the whole post is missing. It looks like an other Jag game put on the shelf. :( Anyway I do have two new 7800 Homebrew games on the way! :mrgreen:

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:05 pm

I haven't checked up on any of this, but Heretic, presumably, is a registered trademark etc and is the IP of someone else (is it ID?). Maybe there's some legalities and C&D's involved? Might sound a bit extreme, but you never know.

It's often dangerous just going all out and recreating someone else's material on another platform, and then charging for it.

Or, was it already given permission for development by the original creator's etc?

Austin

Post by Austin » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:52 pm

Heretic shareware they shouldn't need permission as long as it is distributed freely. However, charging for it without permission is where things can get sticky. If they wanted to do the full game, they would likely need a license to do so. Heretic should be owned by Zenimax/Bethesda, who now owns id software.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:34 pm

For just porting the game I don't think anyone would care. Doom in its entirety has been ported and re-ported to damn near every system except the Jaguar. I think it was just interpersonal drama. With no one else around anymore to aim their drama guns at they turned on each other.

Coffeejits
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Coffeejits » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:18 pm

So now that both have left RVG, does this mean that being a "trusted/regular" user of RVG is no longer a requirement to get a copy of the game if indeed it is finished? So many questions.......

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:51 pm

The Laird left RVG completely? Holy mother of God. That was his bread and butter. He had quite a bit of success with that. He was a regular contributor in a fairly successful magazine.

Walter_j64bit
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Walter_j64bit » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:06 pm

I've just word rush is going post what's going on with Heretic but I don't have any more information than that, it might not be a bad thing, hope for the best.