Demo: Morphonic Lab:xiii Contarum

It does float! And doesn't get soggy in milk! :)

Moderator: a31chris

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Demo: Morphonic Lab:xiii Contarum

Post by a31chris » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:30 pm

Here is a video SH3 posted on AA of a demo some guys did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMMPZD5TqxI

Here is a link to the original post with all the credits as to who did what on it.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/228640 ... try3050637
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

Saturn
3DO ZERO USER

Re: Demo: Morphonic Lab:xiii Contarum

Post by Saturn » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:38 pm

That's a trippy video. Looks pretty wild though.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:34 am

Almost as trippy as the name. What the hell were they smoking?
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

Saturn
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Saturn » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:06 am

Idk but if that was a 'party game' I'm sure it was difficult to even see the screen through the haze :p

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:20 am

Hhaahaa purple haze

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:34 pm

Not trying to be rude, but is this what the Jaguar community is down to now? Scene Demos? I guess the system has finally gone by way of the C64 and Amiga? I guess Scene Demos are cool if anything is going to come of them, but 9 out of 10 times, it's just people going, "Hey, look at the cool, trippy things I was able to do with the Hardware!" Then people ask if they can play it and find out there is no play involved, just looking at it with never another thing coming out of the "Demo" and they just move onto making another demo. I'm sorry, but at this point, it seems there are enough unfinished "Demo's" in the Jaguar community, yeah? Call me an @$$hole if you will, but just how I feel about it.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:24 am

It's just a demo. It does not mean anything beyond that.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:26 am

a31chris wrote:It's just a demo. It does not mean anything beyond that.
Exactly, and that's why it's so sad.

ovalbugmann
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ovalbugmann » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:50 am

Its definitely a trippy melting psychedelic demo for sure, I like it. :) Of course it's a lot easier to make a demo than to make a game, and I think that's prolly how a lot of Jaguar programmers start on the Jaguar - even Jeff Minter.(his early jag demos were similar to this) If the demo is good enough it can become a game, like what happened with Cybermorph. People doing demos is a good thing for continued development on the Jag

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:19 am

T2KFreeker wrote:Not trying to be rude, but is this what the Jaguar community is down to now? Scene Demos?
The Demo Scene is wildly different from what you would classify as the "normal Jaguar scene". The purpose is to do things with the hardware with a minimal amount of code. It's an experiment, essentially. You appreciate it for what it is, but you don't necessarily associate it directly with the scene that you are familiar with (i.e., the Jag scene).

The smart-ass attitude of, "Oh, er, it's just a demo," pisses me off. Not truly understanding the phrase, "demo" (in a specific sense) aside: You want more fully-fledged games? Start paying someone to spend the time to do so, or go learn how to program and make them yourself.

And T2K, don't take that as being directed at yourself. My comments are more towards the generic retro gaming community that doesn't understand what "demos" are or what they expect out of those that create content for our retro gaming platforms of choice.

(I should mention in passing that several excellent mainstream audio composers [and likely programmers] evolved out of the 'demo scene'. Jesper Kyd, for instance, the guy responsible for the Sub Terrania, AMOK, Scorcher, and most recently, the Hitman and Assassins Creed soundtracks) was borne out of the 'demo scene').

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:32 pm

Austin wrote:
T2KFreeker wrote:Not trying to be rude, but is this what the Jaguar community is down to now? Scene Demos?
The Demo Scene is wildly different from what you would classify as the "normal Jaguar scene". The purpose is to do things with the hardware with a minimal amount of code. It's an experiment, essentially. You appreciate it for what it is, but you don't necessarily associate it directly with the scene that you are familiar with (i.e., the Jag scene).

The smart-ass attitude of, "Oh, er, it's just a demo," pisses me off. Not truly understanding the phrase, "demo" (in a specific sense) aside: You want more fully-fledged games? Start paying someone to spend the time to do so, or go learn how to program and make them yourself.

And T2K, don't take that as being directed at yourself. My comments are more towards the generic retro gaming community that doesn't understand what "demos" are or what they expect out of those that create content for our retro gaming platforms of choice.

(I should mention in passing that several excellent mainstream audio composers [and likely programmers] evolved out of the 'demo scene'. Jesper Kyd, for instance, the guy responsible for the Sub Terrania, AMOK, Scorcher, and most recently, the Hitman and Assassins Creed soundtracks) was borne out of the 'demo scene').

No offense taken. Everyone is entitles to their opinions. I guess I should go ahead and expand on my comments before I allow them to be taken out of context. My biggest issue with the Demo Scene is that it always seems that some truly awesome stuff comes from it and then nothing comes of the amazing stuff that they do with it. Not to say that this is always the case, but it seems like nine times out of ten, the Demo of what was done is all that ever comes of the tech. I've just seen so much potential, especially in the C64/Amiga community that it just makes me really sad. The other problem I tend to have are the Demo Coders themselves. Again, not that they all are like this, but it's like if you say anything negative or act like you aren't impressed, you should be chased away and burnt at the stake, you evil SOB! I see enough of that in the Jaguar community as it is and just don't think it needs more of that. Not saying that the people who did this demo are that way obviously, but it's an attitude that an already fragile scene doesn't need I guess is what I am saying.

On a side note, I am glad to see that Jesper Kyd actually did something great with his experience he got from the Demo scene. makes me happy to see someone do something with what they learned. Scorcher, especially, had an AMAZING soundtrack. I used to actually have a rip of it just because of how amazing it sounded. One of my favorite Saturn racers and half of it is the way it sounds.