Ye olde reviews

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Ye olde reviews

Post by Martin III » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:14 pm

I happened open an old review of Shockwave 2 in Electronic Gaming Monthly. Thought it might be an interesting little bit of history to post:

EDIT: Updated image link.
Last edited by Martin III on Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

klogg
3DO ZERO USER

Re: Ye olde reviews

Post by klogg » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:39 pm

I have this issue of EGM. Shockwave 2 improved the original game in almost every aspect. It really is a shame it has come out so late. EA could release a Shockwave collection on Live or PSN!
3DO Brazil website (in portuguese): http://www.3dobrasil.com.br

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:22 pm

I wouldn't say Shockwave 2 came out late at all. The problem is the 3DO was discontinued so early!

Here's another curious one I dug up (see also Stellar 7 and Battle Chess on the side). I'd never thought to see a game like Putt-Putt Joins the Parade reviewed in EGM. On a general note, it's funny how for all the negative criticism that has been directed at the 3DO library since, pretty much all the reviews of 3DO games I've found in EGM have been positive. The only ones I've seen them say "don't buy" to are Scramble Cobra and Novastorm. They even give Brain Dead 13 a rave.

EDIT: Updated image link.
Last edited by Martin III on Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:27 am

How's this for an in-your-face review, Will? :twisted:

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:26 am

If I remember, Game Pro and EGM both were very ravey for the 3DO actually. Although there were exceptions to the rule. I remember the scathing reviews for DOOM. Game Pro even gave The Horde a perfect review. I remember the little gold sticker on the box saying so. They loved The Horde and seemed to really Love Crystal Dynamics. These are cool to read though. I don't agree thus far with Stellar 7, but perhaps I need to go back and check it out again and see what it is I am doing wrong.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:19 am

Stellar 7 was never actually received a PAL release, but have wanted it for some time. Will have to hunt down a JP or US copy at some point (just as a jewel case for US, if it exists?)

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:41 pm

NeoGeoNinja wrote:Stellar 7 was never actually received a PAL release, but have wanted it for some time. Will have to hunt down a JP or US copy at some point (just as a jewel case for US, if it exists?)
No, no Jewel Case for this game in the US. It only released in the longbox with the big instruction booklet. Just so you know.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:35 pm

Lots of nice stuff. I still have a lot to get for my 3do.
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:17 pm

T2KFreeker wrote:No, no Jewel Case for this game in the US. It only released in the longbox with the big instruction booklet. Just so you know.
Ah! Thanks Freeker. Appreciate that.

Will just opt for the JPN release instead then, as I'm sure it will be English throughout anyway...

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:15 am

NeoGeoNinja wrote:
T2KFreeker wrote:No, no Jewel Case for this game in the US. It only released in the longbox with the big instruction booklet. Just so you know.

Will just opt for the JPN release instead then, as I'm sure it will be English throughout anyway...
Not quite...

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:42 am

Martin III wrote:
NeoGeoNinja wrote:

Not quite...
I was gonna' say, no, not really for the English part...

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:16 pm

T2KFreeker wrote:If I remember, Game Pro and EGM both were very ravey for the 3DO actually. Although there were exceptions to the rule. I remember the scathing reviews for DOOM. Game Pro even gave The Horde a perfect review. I remember the little gold sticker on the box saying so. They loved The Horde and seemed to really Love Crystal Dynamics. These are cool to read though. I don't agree thus far with Stellar 7, but perhaps I need to go back and check it out again and see what it is I am doing wrong.
I actually didn't realize GamePro gave The Horde a perfect score. Your comment prompted me to look it up, and I have to say, it's a very good review. It brought up some points that I didn't even think of when writing my own review for the game, such as how the audio is used to cue the player in to problems that are happening off-screen.