3DO NFS Competition...Who's the best in the world?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Gunstar
Who's Trip Hawkins?

3DO NFS Competition...Who's the best in the world?

Post by Gunstar » Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:31 am

O.K., I figured I might as well start the actual thread, and post the ground rules, then people can just start posting pics of their times when ever they want, and so the ground rules are already here. If anyone else can think of any other ground rules I didn't think of that you think should be included, post it here and I'll copy and paste to this first post. If, there are those who just can't play in PRO mode, becuase you suck at manual shift, but want to do a competition, then you'll just have to start another "Junior 3DO Need for Speed challenge" of your own.

Too 3DOkid or anyone else thinking of entering this challenge: I can only hope that you're so-called expertise of the game means you play in PRO mode, and that's what your records are in, otherwise I or someone else who DOES have all the records in PRO mode win by default, unless you start making new records in PRO mode to post. Any other mode, and you just can't be the best in the world, PERIOD. Becuase TRUE racers, in real life or game simulations, ALWAYS use the hardest difficulties and MANUAL SHIFT. PRO mode has harder traffic that get's in your way and tries to cut you off more too, and possibly more traffic, I don't recall, since it's been about 10 years since I played in any easier mode, so anything in automatic with dumber/less traffic is child's play and you've been deluding yourself.

Ground rules:
Obviously, NO CHEATS, which means not codes for crashing cars out of your way, no turbo boost code for a 20%-30% speed and power increase, and no time/speed records set in the hidden/cheat "practice mode" where there are no cars to avoid, and obviously no combination of any of the above. The only code fair game to use is the "turn off dashboard" code, if you want, which only increases the frame-rate, which you may even consider a hinderance since everything is coming at you much faster, but then the car is more responsive too. You can use digital pad or analog stick, it's up to you. Obviously these ground rules have to be on an honor system since I'm not sure if there's a way to tell if a cheat was used or not. So if any of your records were made using any cheats, well, I don't know, but if it was done using a cheat, just please be honest and erase those records and start over. There's no sense in requiring only new records with dates posted though, as people could still cheat on current records, so it HAS to be left to the HONOR SYSTEM. I think no matter how old the record is, it should be allowed, sometimes you just can't beat or tie yourself, and if you did it, you did it. PRO level ONLY, especially if you say your the best in the world, then you shouldn't have any trouble proving it on PRO level! Otherwise you are just a POSER with DELUSIONS OF GRANDUER. This is true if any cheats were used too.
And though not all the cheats can be known to have been used, obviously the turbo boost cheat can, as the cars true tops speeds are clearly posted in the car spec screens, so if your speed record is higher than the cars natural speed, it would be obvious. (the one exception being Lamborgini on the 1st City segment where it is possible, at that dip 3DOkid talked of, lets you get the car up to 203.x).

Picture requirements:
4 pics for each course, the main one showing the top course time and speed and 3 seperate pics showing the 3 segment best times and speed; you'll have to play through each segment and go to the "game standings" screen before continuing to the next segment to grab these pics. Move the D-pad down in "game standings" until you see the top recorded times and speeds for each course segment.
Last edited by Gunstar on Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gunstar
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Post by Gunstar » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:09 pm

I have another idea as far as this challenge thread goes: Make it a sticky thread, and though there will be an initial "top dog," to settle all bets/challenges, as we all know, no one stays on top forever, so lets call the "best in the world" NSFer, the CURRENT world champ, and this can be an ongoing challenge, for newbies to get involved and improve, late comers can always join in, and losers can attempt to improve and save face down the road (pun inteneded :wink: ).

So the winner's position for "best in the world" could be temporary. After all, the World Cup has new champs all the time, so does the Superboowl, Miss America/Miss World/Universe, wherever you look, although there are hall-of-famers, the top dog is never top dog for ever, records are always topped and champs overthrown. Sound good to everyone? Also, in the spirit of keeping this thread from dragging on and on, no replies please, unless there are objections or new ideas, we don't need a bunch of "i agree" or "great idea" replies dragging the thread out, and no trash talk in this thread once the scores star being posted, we can start another thread to talk the trash!

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:47 pm

Here we go. Want to prove you are a great 3DO dude? Beat Escape From Monster Manor without one death man. There you go. :lol: I did it and it was awesome. 8)
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

Gunstar
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Post by Gunstar » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:08 am

This is the post where the top racers and their times&speeds will be posted.
Last edited by Gunstar on Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gunstar
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Post by Gunstar » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:18 pm

bump.
Last edited by Gunstar on Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gunstar
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Post by Gunstar » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:45 pm

O.K. you wanna-be's, beat these: (note: all names are mine, either my handle, first or last name, or initials)

Alpine:
top course speed: 182.5
top course time: 13:51.4
top segment 1 speed: 182.5
top segment 1 time: 3:22.8
top segment 2 speed: 169.2
top segment 2 time: 4:52.6
top segment 3 speed: 141.8
top segment 3 time: 5:14.9
Composite best course time: 13:30.3

City:
top course speed: 202.9
top course time: 9:41.1
top segment 1 speed: 202.9
top segment 1 time: 2:35.1
top segment 2 speed: 162.7
top segment 2 time: 2:49.6
top segment 3 speed: 169.0
top segment 3 time: 4:11.7
Composite best course time: 9:25.1

Coastal:
top course speed: 186.4
top course time: 10:54.8
top segment 1 speed: 186.4
top segment 1 time: 3:10.2
top segment 2 speed: 173.0
top segment 2 time: 3:31.0
top segment 3 speed: 154.0
top segment 3 time: 4:04.8
composite best course time: 10:46.0

all times and speeds done in PRO mode, with a Ferrari 512TR car, except the 202.9 top speed for the City which was a Lamborgini Diablo. But IMHO top speeds don't mean much in this game, only your control and driving skills which shows up in times.

thumbnails:

Last edited by Gunstar on Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:01 pm

Looks good - our times on the city seem close. I'm having to replay with 60hz machine, so lets wait until I have a complete deck!

3DO Kid. (Should be tomorrow or tuesday!)

Gunstar
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Post by Gunstar » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:59 pm

3DOKid wrote:Looks good - our times on the city seem close. I'm having to replay with 60hz machine, so lets wait until I have a complete deck!

3DO Kid. (Should be tomorrow or tuesday!)
Oh, it's fine with me if you add pics as you go along! Heck, I'll accept pics from your 50hz machine in the meantime! We won't call them official, but at least it would show your not just full of BS.

Gunstar
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Post by Gunstar » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:15 pm

You know, 3DOkid, it just occurred to me that we never decided on a specific car for us both to use in this competition, it can hardly be a valid evaluation of our skills if we aren't using the same machine. I'll let you pick. If it's the 512TR, then I'll let my current times stand as they are (for now), but if your using a different machine, like the Diablo, then my posted pics should be null, and I'll have to start over with the Diablo myself, or any other car you are choosing to use. The field of battle has to start off level, or it means nothing. As you must know, these cars all have different acceleration, speed and handling abilities, comparing apples to oranges just won't do. Let me know ASAP.

And/or we need more than one set of best times for multiple cars. This might actually be best; you've most certainly have a car you've favored all these years and have set your records with, so we may have to use each others favorites and our own if we want the competition to mean anything. My car of choice for years has been the 512TR, if yours is different, then maybe we need to do a multiple car evaluation, since I know it can be hard to suddenly change to a car one's got hardly any experience using...let me know ASAP what you think, but we definately have to agree upon something here or it's all for nothing.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:32 am

I don't think car matters. I believe the Diablo has an unfair advantage on the 1st course of city because of the straights, it can maintain a top speed that the other cars simply cannot achievem but after that, it's a tinkers curse between them. i.e. not much.

The 0-60mph times are a little a different ( a few seconds!) and the top speed varies, but in reality the game is just the good side of random enough to equalize the cars.

I actually prefer the 911 because it can drift a little better around some of the less deep curves. My other favourite is the Viper because it handles in the game a little better and it's 0-60mph time is pretty impressive.

If you want to use the 512TR and I'll use the 911 and the Viper would that be ok?

Gunstar
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Post by Gunstar » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:53 am

3DOKid wrote:I don't think car matters. I believe the Diablo has an unfair advantage on the 1st course of city because of the straights, it can maintain a top speed that the other cars simply cannot achievem but after that, it's a tinkers curse between them. i.e. not much.

The 0-60mph times are a little a different ( a few seconds!) and the top speed varies, but in reality the game is just the good side of random enough to equalize the cars.

I actually prefer the 911 because it can drift a little better around some of the less deep curves. My other favourite is the Viper because it handles in the game a little better and it's 0-60mph time is pretty impressive.

If you want to use the 512TR and I'll use the 911 and the Viper would that be ok?
That's acceptable. You said are times looked close for the city course, is that using the 911? Just curious. As I stated in my pics post, I got the top city speed using the Diablo, but the course time was all 512TR. I do remember doing the best ever on the Alpine and Coastal courses using the corvette, but those times are gone forever. But lately all my best times have been with the 512TR, it's a bit of a...how should I put this...beast to control, but I seemed to have learned to handle it pretty well. Anyway, we can do our initial competition to see who's best between us as you've suggested, but as I stated in another post, I think it would be fun to make it an on-going tournament/competition, for us and anyone else who wants to post times at any time, and maybe have 1-3rd places, and honorable mentions, and get a bit more technical with specific cars later on, etc.
No matter who wins this first round, I'm always playing NFS and trying to do better, and I want to continue attempting to improve my times and post them in the future.

Gunstar
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Post by Gunstar » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:19 pm

Well, I went away for 3 weeks, to let you guys do your thing, and I STILL have no competition, including 3DOkid, so I declare myself the World Champion of Need For Speed by default. You guys have had PLENTY of time to get superior times posted, which you obviously couldn't do, so I win. Game over. That's the initial bet between me and 3DOkid of course. I'd still like to see this as an ongoing thing, with others posting times, even if they don't beat mine, to get second and third places, and the chance to someday dethrown me. But at this point, it seems unlikely, since everyone has had over a month to show something.

I win by default, 3DOkid loses by forfeit.

I am the best player of 3DO Need for Speed in the world, as I said I was, and as I have apparently proved as no one else has proved otherwise. And I think nearly 6 weeks since I started the competition is plenty of time to post and prove otherwise; it took me about 3 days!
I'm the best and will continue to proclaim my status, but otherwise I'll drop my posts in these threads since it's finished. Thank you 3DOkid for helping me prove to myself that I am indeed the best and no one can touch me!!!

If anyone should finally post some times, and they happen to beat what I have here now, I have new times to post, that beat my own, so keep that in mind; posting pics that beat my current pics will not necessarily beat me, I'll post my latest when needed, even if they are still losing times, becuase I'm not a coward like some seem to be, and am willing to post losing times.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:18 pm

Trip sent me a letter - he reckons he could have you. What do I know? ;)

CrimsonGlory
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CrimsonGlory » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:21 pm

Gunstar wrote:Well, I went away for 3 weeks, to let you guys do your thing, and I STILL have no competition, including 3DOkid, so I declare myself the World Champion of Need For Speed by default. You guys have had PLENTY of time to get superior times posted, which you obviously couldn't do, so I win. Game over.
Oh for fucks sake, in the 3 weeks you were away both your posts dropped off the map.

If I held a, I dunno, frickin' dance competition, told everyone about it, then no-one turned up, not only would I "get the message" I wouldnt then annoy those people who had no interest in showing up by going round telling them all "Im the frickin' dance king!!"

If people had been trying then these post wouldnt have disapearred, now you come back, bump BOTH dead threads to the top and start ranting about being world champ.

You know what, you can have that crown, GUNSTARS THE CHAMP EVERYONE, there, enjoy it. Theres no problem with that. Theres no problem with having competitions, But WHY take up 2 threads? and if people lose interest, why force it back upon them?
just maybe, people have other shit they wanna talk about and to continuously bump TWO, let alone one thread up is well annoying.

Complaining that people have had PLENTY of time. Ever occur to you in that time people may have forgotten about the competition and moved on? the way these threads vanished gave me that impression.

Can I get an amen???? ANYONE??

Dammit, I tried SO hard as well to live and let live :( Where the Hell does "TEH" 360Kid find his patience? far too much "D" playing I reckon.
Last edited by CrimsonGlory on Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Didn' mean ta burst ya bubble"

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:59 pm

Amen brother!

Actually I forgot there even was a "competition". Was enjoying the peace and quiet too.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:42 am

And I think nearly 6 weeks since I started the competition is plenty of time to post and prove otherwise; it took me about 3 days!
Think 6 weeks is long? Check out this post ...

http://www.3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=49

Gunstar
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Re:

Post by Gunstar » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:30 pm

T2KFreeker wrote:Here we go. Want to prove you are a great 3DO dude? Beat Escape From Monster Manor without one death man. There you go. :lol: I did it and it was awesome. 8)
Sorry to take 7 years to respond, but I only wanted to prove I'm good at NFS. I don't even like EFMM too much...

This bump is not intended to bring up this old thread for any other reason than I was here re-checking my times and noticed I never replied to T2KFreeker.

If anyone wants to challenge me, list your times, otherwise I will not be referring to this thread or any competition unless someone else wants to start.
Trip WHOkins?!?
World's greatest 3DO Need for Speed racer [even 'X man' says so, digitally immortalized in the game...R.I.P.] http://3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/viewtopi ... ight=speed

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Re: 3DO NFS Competition...Who's the best in the world?

Post by a31chris » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:19 pm

have gotta get this game.
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

Gunstar
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Post by Gunstar » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:38 pm

I'm actually regretting replying to an old post and bringing the whole thread up again, as it all seemed to piss some people off years ago, even though I just wanted to have some fun and competition.

Anyhow, yeah, great game, definitely get it, After all these years, all the racing games on all the systems I've played (my favorite genre) this is still my favorite racer of all time (my second fav is still WTR on the Jaguar too). But you must get the 3DO version, all others suck comparatively.
Trip WHOkins?!?
World's greatest 3DO Need for Speed racer [even 'X man' says so, digitally immortalized in the game...R.I.P.] http://3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/viewtopi ... ight=speed

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:51 pm

Perhaps I should jump in on this. Need for Speed is a really great game. Thing is, I don't know that I have ever really sat down and tried to play it seriously. I always messed around in it and enjoyed the visuals and the fact that it really feels like a driving simulator. I never really tried to go for the best times though. Maybe now's a good time.

Chris, yes, you should get this game. The 3DO version of Need For Speed is the way it was supposed to be played. The fact that the Saturn and Playstation versions are more arcade racer style is just really sad because you really can see and feel how much hard work was put into the 3DO version to make it feel authentic. It really works out really well and is well worth checking out.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:10 pm

I'm running a PAL 3DO@50hz unfortunately, so very much doubt I can participate in this.

That might change one day though 8)

Gunstar
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Post by Gunstar » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:50 am

NeoGeoNinja wrote:I'm running a PAL 3DO@50hz unfortunately, so very much doubt I can participate in this.

That might change one day though 8)
Though I have no idea, the only reason that would make a difference is if the clock (keeping times in-game) was directly controlled by the refresh rate, I'm not sure it is...does anyone know for sure?
Trip WHOkins?!?

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:00 am

Why arent you racing for High Scores as well??

My old Japan 3DO suffered some corrosion on the mainboard so i lost all mine from back in the day, but ive played a couple times since then... Not at my old standard though...

The man that beat the self proclaimed "best in the world" at The Need For Speed...

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:06 am

Gunstar wrote:I'm actually regretting replying to an old post and bringing the whole thread up again, as it all seemed to piss some people off years ago, even though I just wanted to have some fun and competition.

Anyhow, yeah, great game, definitely get it, After all these years, all the racing games on all the systems I've played (my favorite genre) this is still my favorite racer of all time (my second fav is still WTR on the Jaguar too). But you must get the 3DO version, all others suck comparatively.
Id be more than happy to give you a challange... ;)
The man that beat the self proclaimed "best in the world" at The Need For Speed...

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:57 am

Your City Segment two time and top speed just got axed...

I was thinking there for a while i wasnt going to be able to get there, but i had serious input lag issues via the scaler. Going direct to the projector now....

PIC MOVED:
Last edited by CasetheCorvetteman on Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:03 am

Segments one and three of Coastal are now mine...

Top speed 192.1mph

PICS MOVED:
Last edited by CasetheCorvetteman on Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:21 am

Uh-oh. Smack talkin' going on in here. ;)
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:30 pm

a31chris wrote:Uh-oh. Smack talkin' going on in here. ;)
And i aint done yet ;)

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:39 pm

The Coastal thus far...

Total time and top speed are mine:

Segment one is mine:

Segment three is mine:

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:47 pm

The City...

Total route:

Segment one:

Segment two:

Segment three:
Last edited by CasetheCorvetteman on Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.