Wondering about "Not for resale" version of Lucienne's Quest

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

UndeadArgos
3DO ZERO USER

Wondering about "Not for resale" version of Lucienne's Quest

Post by UndeadArgos » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:52 pm

I'm new here so I guess I'll introduce myself. I got into 3DO a couple of years ago but my 3DO collection is only about a dozen games and an FZ-1. I've been into 'retro' games since the 80s when games weren't 'retro'. I started collecting several years ago but probably haven't been collecting as long as many of you. My collecting started with NES and branched out from there. Now I own more games than I could play in a lifetime on more consoles than I ever knew existed. Such is the curse of the video game collector. That's me in a nutshell.

About a year ago i picked up a copy of Lucienne's Quest. I didnt have to pay an arm and a leg for it and I was excited to have it. Like most games it went on a shelf to gather dust. I finally got around to playing it about a week ago. I've played it all the way through now. It's not a perfect game, but I enjoyed it.

The reason I'm here is to ask about my copy of the game. The case looks like every other picture I've seen, but the disc has a "not for resale" message on it (pictured: http://i.imgur.com/qVrlTw1.jpg). I havent been able to find anything about this online. Does anybody know where the the NFR version of the game came from? It's really puzzling me.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Re: Wondering about "Not for resale" version of Lucienne's Q

Post by a31chris » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:41 am

That usually means it came as a package deal or pack in game with the 3do or a peripheral.
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

UndeadArgos
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UndeadArgos » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:39 am

As far as I know Lucienne's Quest was only released in a tall cardboard box at retail. I wish these things were better documented :( finding info on 3DO releases is difficult.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:31 am

Might review copies of the game have been labeled "Not for resale"?

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:20 pm

Martin III wrote:Might review copies of the game have been labeled "Not for resale"?
It's possible. Also, back in the day at my Local Best Buy, I could swear we had a demo unit set up with Lucienne's Quest as well for playing. Is it possible that there were a few copies sent out to stores to demo a more traditional RPG game for the system as people had been clamoring for one over the lifespan of the system?
Last edited by T2KFreeker on Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

UndeadArgos
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UndeadArgos » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:19 am

Thanks for your input guys. Review copy or in-store demo both seem like likely explanations. I wish I could find something definitive, but I guess It'll just have to remain a mystery. Thanks :)

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:15 am

My Maps O Death disc also has that on it.
The man that beat the self proclaimed "best in the world" at The Need For Speed...