OperaTool

Tools and projects
Saffron
3DO ZERO USER

OperaTool

Post by Saffron » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:09 pm

I'm developing a tool that could extract and create iso files for the Opera file system, much like the OperaFS DEcompiler, but as a command line version, so we can automatize the process of iso creation and get to test each new build with just one click :)

I'm trying to understand the filesystem, so I've started with the extraction process. The next step will be start working with the iso creation process.

Once I get to a functional version I'll release the source so everybody could collaborate and use it as a reference for future works.

EDIT:

I've created the project and uploaded the current sourcecode in github: https://github.com/SaffronCR/3do-tools

It has two projects:
-3DOHomebrewSigning, which is the tool created by Charles Doty, I've added it to the repository to keep a copy and also because I'm planning on adding things.
-OperaTool, the disc decompiler/compiler. Right now the code is a mess, because I've been trying things to learn how the filesystem works. Currently it can decompile isos just fine, but the compilation process needs a bit more work to get signing right. I was able to compile the gameguru disc but it hangs out after the bannerscreen.
Last edited by Saffron on Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You can't take the sky from me

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Re: OperaTool

Post by BryWI » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:44 pm

4DO emualtor has a file extraction interface in it and is open source. Might be a good place to look if you need more info.

blabla
3DO ZERO USER

Post by blabla » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:31 am

Great job !
I've been waiting for someone who is competent enough to write those kind of tools.
I'll surely use it for my games when finished !
Your tool will (hopefully) solve the problems i had with OperaFS too (see here) so its cool.

Looks like he didn't want to hand over the source code. Ah well

Saffron
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Saffron » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:03 am

About OperaFS, I talked with the author and he said that he lost the code.
4DO emualtor has a file extraction interface in it and is open source. Might be a good place to look if you need more info.
Thanks! from what I've seen looking at their code, I got it right, at least in the read part... now the writing would be fun :mrgreen:

edit: Well, after working at it a little, now I can compile into an iso file the decompiled one. Now the final step would be to create an entirely new iso from a folder...

The filesystem is very simple, the only thing that I don't get is how the number of copies are determined for each file/folder, I think the original tool should have an option to specify how many copies do you want to keep for that file (and probably the "special file" option is also a checkbox in that options menu, similar to hidden files in windows, I guess...).

Anyway I think for now I would do the same as operaFS and create only one copy per file, most games didn't use the feature at all. Also they tend to forgot to delete the "minmem" command from the initial script (AppStartup) :mrgreen:

goldenband
3DO ZERO USER

Post by goldenband » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:14 pm

Any chance that an OS X-compatible tool could come out of all this? I'd love to be able to check out 3DO ISO contents without having to resurrect my wife's old dead Windows machine.

Ideally, I'd like to start tinkering with attempts at making translation patches, since an old post by 3DOKid indicated that Doctor Hauzer's script is in plaintext on the disc.

Saffron
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Saffron » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:36 pm

I'm writing it in C# so it should compile under OS X using monodevelop. BTW I've decompiled the Dr. Hauzer ISO and I can confirm the script is in plaintext.

goldenband
3DO ZERO USER

Post by goldenband » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:19 pm

Saffron wrote:I'm writing it in C# so it should compile under OS X using monodevelop. BTW I've decompiled the Dr. Hauzer ISO and I can confirm the script is in plaintext.
Sweet! So it would literally just be a matter of replacing those script files with translated ones, and re-signing the disc? Easiest script dump ever!

I wonder how many other Japanese games are in the same boat? Any you'd be willing to check would be most welcome.

And great news re: OS X. If you're able to compile a downloadable binary that'd be great, but otherwise I'll look into getting my ducks in a row.

Saffron
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Saffron » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:49 pm

I have a really old intel mac mini from my times programming for the first iphone... If I have some time and I can install OS X again (I ended installing linux) I can build a binary. But I think it would be faster to ask any mac user of the forums to do it :mrgreen:

Saffron
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Saffron » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:53 pm

Well, I've edited the first post with the info about the code repository. The iso decompilation works great, and I'm finishing the compilation process as well. I would like to clean the code once I get it fully working, so others can actually use it in future works :mrgreen:

Versus

Post by Versus » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:15 am

Great news! :!: 8)

zetastrike
3DO ZERO USER

Post by zetastrike » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:20 pm

goldenband wrote:
Saffron wrote:I'm writing it in C# so it should compile under OS X using monodevelop. BTW I've decompiled the Dr. Hauzer ISO and I can confirm the script is in plaintext.
Sweet! So it would literally just be a matter of replacing those script files with translated ones, and re-signing the disc? Easiest script dump ever!

I wonder how many other Japanese games are in the same boat? Any you'd be willing to check would be most welcome.

And great news re: OS X. If you're able to compile a downloadable binary that'd be great, but otherwise I'll look into getting my ducks in a row.
That's awesome! I'd love to play some Grand Chef or Ghost Hunter in english.

Saffron
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Saffron » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:58 pm

Just a quick update: I've moved the repository to github since google code is closing and... still trying to find some info about rom tags :oops:

blabla
3DO ZERO USER

Post by blabla » Sun May 10, 2015 10:48 pm

Just a quick update: I've moved the repository to github since google code is closing and... still trying to find some info about rom
Try at http://forum.3doplanet.ru/, they probably know what you're looking for.