How to get Return Fire Maps 'O Death to work?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

How to get Return Fire Maps 'O Death to work?

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:19 am

Hi all, ive got retail versions of both, but it seems i cant get Maps 'O Death to load.

How is it done?
The man that beat the self proclaimed "best in the world" at The Need For Speed...

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Re: How to get Return Fire Maps 'O Death to work?

Post by BryWI » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:41 am

I don't know for sure, but it might need to see a save file in NVRAM from the original game.

Retrofanatic83
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Retrofanatic83 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:03 pm

I believe it needs to have a save file from the first game as Bry stated.

Shame I can't play it as I don't think it was released in Japan and is region locked in PAL. If it was released in America and I can find one for a good price I would get it if I knew it would work :|

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:08 pm

Yeah my consoles are both Japan models. The games i have are both US discs, ive tried a couple times in the past to get it running, the normal game runs fine, but Maps 'O Death doesnt seem to want to load.

The disc is fine because it was bought brand new and looks flawless, so i can only assume there is some sort of region lock that prevents it loading on the Japan console.

Recently me and a friend have been playing through every map on the Playstation version, we both love this game and have been playing it since release, but we would like to crack out the 3DO version and play through that one as well, to see if there are any extra maps that are not on the Playstation version.

From what i can tell, the Playstation version included far more maps than the original 3DO release, but then we cant be sure if it has more maps or different maps when compared to Maps 'O Death.

I also have the unreleased Sega Saturn version here too, which we intend to play through at some point to see how it differs. I have had a quick go, and it seems graphically superior in many ways to the Playstation version, and while it have far less steps at the side of the map selection screen, it does seem to have far more maps per step, so there is every chance it has a simular number of maps.

There really doesnt seem to be much in the way of info about any of these games anywhere online that i can find, apart from reviews, but im yet to find any sites that have any map info or details beyond the capabilities and suggested uses of each vehicle. I do remember a magazine way back in the day had info about maps and strategies etc, but no idea which mag or how detailed it was.
The man that beat the self proclaimed "best in the world" at The Need For Speed...

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:10 pm

Retrofanatic83 wrote:I believe it needs to have a save file from the first game as Bry stated.

Shame I can't play it as I don't think it was released in Japan and is region locked in PAL. If it was released in America and I can find one for a good price I would get it if I knew it would work :|
I bought mine new old stock from USA a couple years ago, was only about $30 which i considered really well priced.

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:13 pm

Here is the one i bought, ive posted it in the game contents thread:
CasetheCorvetteman wrote:Return Fire: Maps 'O Death, not much to see here.

Got this a couple weeks ago still sealed:

Retrofanatic83
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Retrofanatic83 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:15 pm

It seems it might be the one game that can't be played. Well one of them, strange it wasn't released in Japan...
Does the back of the jewel case mention anything about how it will display on a pal console? The reason I didn't buy a pal copy and I did buy and play a pal return fire no issues on my JP console is I noticed it had a message about how it would run on a pal machine and the only other game I got in pal that is region locked/won't run is alone in the dark and that has a similar message. Seems you are confirming the USA copy won't run on japanese machines for similar/region locking issues as you say. I love the first game too and was really looking forward to this too so it's a bit of a shame if it is going to mean getting a pal 3do...or an American one...

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:39 am

There is no mension of PAL anywhere on it, ill have to get a US console and try it out

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:55 pm

So last night we played through the Playstation version and we have now completed every single map on the multiplayer setting.

Tested the Saturn version out, although they say it was complete but not officially released, i dont agree with that, some things were much better, like vehicle control and overall the graphics are better, the framerate is a bit higher, but does occationally drop significantly and more so than the Playstation version.

The biggest issue was after completing some maps, the game locks up on the victory screen and there is no way to proceed apart from reset.

There are only 9 tiers of difficulty, but lots more maps per tier when compared to the Playstation version, and there were a few maps on the Saturn that were not on the Playstation. There is no loading screen, its just black til the game starts. The videos are full screen. There is no save to memory like the Playstation, meaning a full completion must be done with the console left on and no lock ups requiring a reset.

Id say the game was mostly complete, but not 100%.

Have not yet put the 3DO version to the test, will have to give it a go soon. I expect it to be graphically superior to the Playstation, and i hope it has the ability to save progress.

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:39 am

Having last night played through both Return Fire and Map 'O Death, i can say that although the graphics look a bit nicer on the 3DO, and the game plays about the same for the most, the Playstation version is a bit better and seems to have a fair few more maps than both 3DO versions combined.

The biggest complaint with the 3DO version is the maps are duplicated in a mirrored format, which is fine, but its not a new map. If they hadve mirrored and swapped player's assets between each other that would been better.

Its not until later tiers on Maps 'O Death that things start to get hard on the 3DO, we completed the entire first game in about 2 hours before moving onto the expansion pack, which we completed in around 4 hours. Every map done.

The Playstation version has an extra feature that tells you the time you took to complete each map, which is great, gives you incentive to try a few more times, especially on the may 'Joust for fun', which we got down to 3:01 after heaps of goes!

MathUser
3DO ZERO USER

Post by MathUser » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:17 pm

Now I'm wondering how the disc works too. Hope someone gets it working some day.

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:23 am

MathUser wrote:Now I'm wondering how the disc works too. Hope someone gets it working some day.
I did, its working, and we have completed all maps here.

You need a US region 3DO to make it work, wont work on Japan or PAL console.