Is the Japanese version of the game D playable?...

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

dave4shmups
3DO ZERO USER

Is the Japanese version of the game D playable?...

Post by dave4shmups » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:15 pm

Can you play it if you don't know Japanese? It's definitely cheaper then the USA version.

klogg
3DO ZERO USER

Re: Is the Japanese version of the game D playable?...

Post by klogg » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:09 pm

Completely. Except for some menus and dialogues, the rest of the game is the same.
3DO Brazil website (in portuguese): http://www.3dobrasil.com.br

dave4shmups
3DO ZERO USER

Post by dave4shmups » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:36 pm

klogg wrote:Completely. Except for some menus and dialogues, the rest of the game is the same.
OK, thanks for the reply! How much would I miss out on, then? For some reason, the North American release is impossible to find on eBay lately.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:58 am

dave4shmups wrote:
klogg wrote:Completely. Except for some menus and dialogues, the rest of the game is the same.
OK, thanks for the reply! How much would I miss out on, then? For some reason, the North American release is impossible to find on eBay lately.
You could have a walkthrough of one of the USA versions by your side, typically they reproduce all of the dialogue from a game.

You could also try to play the game through other means.. *cough*

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:53 pm

Or just buy it on Playstation.
The man that beat the self proclaimed "best in the world" at The Need For Speed...

klogg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by klogg » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:53 am

CasetheCorvetteman wrote:Or just buy it on Playstation.
Heretic :evil:
3DO Brazil website (in portuguese): http://www.3dobrasil.com.br

dave4shmups
3DO ZERO USER

Post by dave4shmups » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:42 am

Austin wrote:
dave4shmups wrote:
You could have a walkthrough of one of the USA versions by your side, typically they reproduce all of the dialogue from a game.

You could also try to play the game through other means.. *cough*
True, I will probably need a walkthrough anyway whenever I play the game. I know what you mean, by "other means", lol. I'll probably just wait until the North American release shows up on eBay.

This is the video of part of the Japanese Saturn release that I was referring to: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6253F9ebJzM

As you can see, everything's in English through the end of the video.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:22 pm

How about the Saturn? Does that version still go for reasonable prices? I got my copy of it ages ago.

It's worth mentioning that the Saturn and PlayStation versions contain a scene or two which does not appear in the 3DO version.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:38 pm

It's kind of funny that this topic came up now, since I just a few weeks ago popped D into my Saturn for the first time in years. Maybe we're all subconsciously in the Halloween spirit? I put it in with the intent of finally getting the perfect ending (which I did, on the second attempt), but I was surprised at how fresh the game felt to me despite my having played it through four times already. I even forgot how to solve some of the puzzles. The final ascent to the room where Dr. Harris is still sends chills down my spine. That surreal staircase, the loud but gentle ringing of Laura's footsteps, and that exquisitely soul-stirring music... Just an unforgettable cinematic moment.

Also, while most people rag on it, I really like the slow walking movement in D. Once you get into it, it makes for such a relaxed, stress-relieving experience. Also lets the creepy atmosphere and storyline sink into your mind better.

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:14 pm

Martin III wrote:
How about the Saturn? Does that version still go for reasonable prices? I got my copy of it ages ago.

It's worth mentioning that the Saturn and PlayStation versions contain a scene or two which does not appear in the 3DO version.
Probably one of the few games that is better on Playstation
The man that beat the self proclaimed "best in the world" at The Need For Speed...

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:01 pm

Forgot to mention another D-coincidence: I just recently stumbled on an interesting review for the 3DO version in Next Generation. The review mentions that the Japanese release of the game was an honest-to-goodness hit, and that there was already a considerable following of hardcore fans referred to as "D-freaks". I'd heard about D's popularity in Japan in that Kenji Eno interview published on 1UP a few years ago, but it's pretty cool to see it reported back in the day.

Another interesting point of the review: The reviewer concludes by saying something like "This is a great game but as it's so short, it's really more of an appetizer for D 2, which is being developed for the M2 and uses mostly real-time graphics." I hadn't realized that Warp had already started on D 2 at that point. In retrospect it makes sense, since the original plans were for the M2 to come out in 1996, but somehow I had thought that they did Enemy Zero before D 2.