What type of game should the 3DO have had?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

What type of game should the 3DO have had?

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:56 pm

My three main gripes are as follows:

3D fighter. Was it possible? Maybe I guess. Still, I would have liked to see a good Virtua Fighter clone on the 3DO.

Arcade racer. A daytona or ridge racer clone. Sure - NFS is good, but there is nothing like drifting.

2D shoot 'em up. A R-Type clone. Amazing, considering the popularity of the system in Japan, but not one decent 2D Shooter made it on to the system. Sure, we have Jurassic Parks galaxian clones and Puropon World had a 2D shooter but what I wanted was something like 1942 or a pre-cursor to Ikuraga...

Anything else missing?

elpotro
3DO ZERO USER

Post by elpotro » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:12 am

Very know licences with many fans like Castlevania, Megaman, etc.

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:42 am

A 2D (or 3D I'm pretty much indifferent) RPG with a powerful story.
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin

Gunstar
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Re: What type of game should the 3DO have had?

Post by Gunstar » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:38 am

3DOKid wrote:My three main gripes are as follows:

3D fighter. Was it possible? Maybe I guess. Still, I would have liked to see a good Virtua Fighter clone on the 3DO.

Arcade racer. A daytona or ridge racer clone. Sure - NFS is good, but there is nothing like drifting.

2D shoot 'em up. A R-Type clone. Amazing, considering the popularity of the system in Japan, but not one decent 2D Shooter made it on to the system. Sure, we have Jurassic Parks galaxian clones and Puropon World had a 2D shooter but what I wanted was something like 1942 or a pre-cursor to Ikuraga...

Anything else missing?
Yes, it could have done a 3D fighter, the Atari Jaguar and Sega 32X both have an average and good 3D fighter games respectively, if they could do it, so could the 3DO.
I agree also about a good arcade racer, I was hoping Autobahn Tokyo would have been that game. But as for drifting, I can drift with half the cars in NFS, REAL drifting based on the real physics engine; if you don't know how to make those cars drift in NFS, that's why your not getting times like mine, at least part of the reason. I know how to drift with the Porsche, RX-7, Viper, Ferrari and Diablo. The others I haven't just becuase I rarely drive them.

2D shooter; you're right there also, no good 2D shooter on the 3DO, Jaguar and 32X had them, and they are good. 3DO should have had one too.

The 3DO also needed a GOOD baseball and football games. It has good Soccer/Football and even a good Basketball game with Slam-n-Jam, but Madden SUCKS, and so does that Japanese Baseball release.
Trip WHOkins?!?
World's greatest 3DO Need for Speed racer [even 'X man' says so, digitally immortalized in the game...R.I.P.] http://3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/viewtopi ... ight=speed

bonefish
3DO ZERO USER

Post by bonefish » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:35 am

A Final Fantasy game would've went a long way toward helping this system. If I remember correctly a system manager screen shot is floating around in the internet abyss with a title on it that says something that looks like final fantasy...

A killer port of Mortal Kombat 1+2 could have owned.

Madden games were huge back in the day... more and better ports.

Gunstar
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Post by Gunstar » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:40 am

bonefish wrote:A Final Fantasy game would've went a long way toward helping this system. If I remember correctly a system manager screen shot is floating around in the internet abyss with a title on it that says something that looks like final fantasy...

A killer port of Mortal Kombat 1+2 could have owned.

Madden games were huge back in the day... more and better ports.
Yeah, most version of Madden were good, but I find the 3DO version lacking. The first Saturn and Playstation versions that still used sprites were better, and the 3DO version could have been just as good.

On the other hand, the recently released Decathelon looks really impressive, seems to be a fantastic addition to the 3DO and just goes to show that the 3DO is capable of much better sports titles than Madden was. Though I've only seen the FMV and screenshots, since it's sold out.
Trip WHOkins?!?
World's greatest 3DO Need for Speed racer [even 'X man' says so, digitally immortalized in the game...R.I.P.] http://3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/viewtopi ... ight=speed

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Re: What type of game should the 3DO have had?

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:09 pm

Gunstar wrote:
3DOKid wrote:My three main gripes are as follows:

Anything else missing?
Yes, it could have done a 3D fighter, the Atari Jaguar and Sega 32X both have an average and good 3D fighter games respectively, if they could do it, so could the 3DO.
I agree also about a good arcade racer, I was hoping Autobahn Tokyo would have been that game. But as for drifting, I can drift with half the cars in NFS, REAL drifting based on the real physics engine; if you don't know how to make those cars drift in NFS, that's why your not getting times like mine, at least part of the reason. I know how to drift with the Porsche, RX-7, Viper, Ferrari and Diablo. The others I haven't just becuase I rarely drive them.

2D shooter; you're right there also, no good 2D shooter on the 3DO, Jaguar and 32X had them, and they are good. 3DO should have had one too.

The 3DO also needed a GOOD baseball and football games. It has good Soccer/Football and even a good Basketball game with Slam-n-Jam, but Madden SUCKS, and so does that Japanese Baseball release.
Is Fight for life average? I've seen copies on eBay, and they're pretty cheap, but many people said it's less than average. (I can't believe I said that - I'll get a copy - wheres my head?!) :) :)

I know it's possible to drift the cars in NFS but it's not the main focus of the game like it is in Daytona and Ridge. What i wanted was a proper arcade racer :)

Yes indeed, the Jag was blessed with a few 2D shooters. Even 3D ones too. Zero 5 on the Jag is very good for example.

I quite liked Madden - but then I know absolutely nothing about American Football - so what do I know? :)

pitsunami
3DO ZERO USER

Post by pitsunami » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:35 pm

A sega rally/virtua fighter/1940 clone would have sold a lot more 3DOs... and i would be prouder of supporting it. :cry:

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:50 pm

Check out Panasonic's 'Fun n' games' for another 2-d shooter (it ain't good though)
Is Fight for life average? I've seen copies on eBay, and they're pretty cheap, but many people said it's less than average. (I can't believe I said that - I'll get a copy - wheres my head?!)
Fight for Life on the Jag makes BC Racers look like Mario Kart. Please, do not get it! It is beyond awful (for a great Jag fighter, check out the 2-d 'Ultra Vortex')

I would have liked to seen more point n' click titles like 'Broken Sword' or the cancelled 'Golden Gate'

Gunstar
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Post by Gunstar » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:03 am

Trev wrote:
Check out Panasonic's 'Fun n' games' for another 2-d shooter (it ain't good though)
Is Fight for life average? I've seen copies on eBay, and they're pretty cheap, but many people said it's less than average. (I can't believe I said that - I'll get a copy - wheres my head?!)
Fight for Life on the Jag makes BC Racers look like Mario Kart. Please, do not get it! It is beyond awful (for a great Jag fighter, check out the 2-d 'Ultra Vortex')

I would have liked to seen more point n' click titles like 'Broken Sword' or the cancelled 'Golden Gate'
I think really like Fight for Life, and totally disagree that it's awful. It's average in the big picture, but I like the unique things about it too, like being able to do endless chains of special and combo moves combined, and the dodge moves, and aquiring new moves as you progress. The graphics are very good, a little slow, but smooth, but once you get use to the timing, things move along nicely. You won't enjoy it if you don't learn the moves properly though, becuase you need to kill your oponent otherwise the round drags on, there's no time limit, so if your moves suck, and do little damage, your either dead or bored. It's certainly no Virtua Fighter or Toshindin, but I liked it. I'd hardly compare it in the way you did with BC racers and Mario kart. It's a cheap game 3DOkid, you've go nothing to lose, and like me, you might find you think it's a good game and really like it. If not, it didn't cost you much anyway. As a matter of fact, I sold off my copy when I needed to get some money last year, and have been meaning to get it back myself, so if you buy it and don't like it, I'll buy it from you, no problem.
Trip WHOkins?!?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:41 am

If you really want a copy of 'Fight for Life' 3DOKid, I'll send you mine for free. I can't bear the thought of you wasting money on such trash, when you could be using it to acquire some rare 3DO goodies (like some of these Korean games tha tkeep popping up) PM me if you are interested.

jesusc
3DO ZERO USER

Post by jesusc » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:28 pm

I'd put Fight for Life along side gems like Criticom.

Being a big Jarpeg fan I'd have loved to see something along the likes of Final Fantasy 7, but you have to remember that at the time RPGs were quite niche. I doubt it would have made a difference in system sales.
I hate 3D fighters, but since that was the direction things were going it definitely would have helped open up the market if the 3DO had some. I'm trying to think what were the "hot" genres back then. Definitely fighters and FPS. For all the FPS that were on the system, it would have been nice if more than a handful were worth a dime.
Sam Sho, Primal Rage, and SSF2T were all decent fighting game ports, I think they just came out to late to do any good.

I would have loved some 2D shooters and arcade racers. Even scaler games like Rad Mobile and Road Riot would have been awesome.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:59 pm

Luciennes Quest is probably the nearest we got to a fully fledge JRPG, I actually quite liked the game - short comings and all.

The 3DO had an impressive collection of 2D fighters. Sailor Moon is quite good too, as is Yu Yu Hashuko. (however that's spelt :) )

We had the best space opera game ever Wing Commander III.

So what was big in '93?

An RTS? Dune II was big wasn't it?

More God games. Theme Park was pretty good and so was Syndicate which was almost a god game. How about Power Monger or Populous?

Perhaps something like Magic Carpet, which was ear marked for release but never made it...

An updated Desert Strike perhaps?

I think it was part of the problem, it didn't have enough grunt to deliver 3D games from the arcades which is what people wanted or the support, after all the games people wanted were made by Namco and Sega

It was way ahead of its time. It had party games, survival horror games, casual games but everyone wanted arcade games - oh how things change! :)

jesusc
3DO ZERO USER

Post by jesusc » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:23 pm

populous (which I loved btw) and power monger were past their prime. I know that Magic Carpet did well on PC, but never made a splash with its console releases. I think there is a reason for that.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:23 am

I still love the very first populous, the 1989 (iirc) DOS version. SNES version was ok but was lacking a bit.