Best port of Myst?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Blades
3DO ZERO USER

Best port of Myst?

Post by Blades » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:44 am

Hey,

I'm one of the few people who actually got into Myst and finished it to the end without a hint book (It was hard as HELL). I did it all on PC about five years ago. I tried it again recently, but I realized its nowhere near as fun as playing it on a tv (La-Z-Boy Chairs and Myst go together like Peanut Butter and Jelly) so I got the PS version.

BAD CHOICE

The damn version sucks so much its not even funny, the audio quality is crap, the resolution is like 120* 200 or something (Too lazy to get a calculator :) ) and pathetic loading times. But Then i tried the 3DO Version in an emulator. Granted it ran really slowly (Slow PC) but everything seemed to be there: Music/High Resolution/Transitions. Is the real console version that good? So that makes the 3DO the system that beat out the PS and Saturn in porting Myst?

Commence Discussion
What Has EA turned into...tsk tsk

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:27 pm

I'm not, to be fair, the greatest fan of Myst. I am surprised that PSX version wasn't up to much though. The game play is a bit slow. Glacial?

sonofjabba
3DO ZERO USER

Post by sonofjabba » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:06 am

The Smoothest version I've been told is for Atari Jaguar CD. I think it was one a very limited number of Jaguar CD Games made. But the Sound, and pixel rendering were supposed to be flawless on it. I have a jaguar minus but not a CD. I figured I spent enough money on it.
Nutcase

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:46 pm

I once dreamt of owning a Jag CD. Then the British postal service went on strike, and lo, everything was delayed.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:05 pm

So that makes the 3DO the system that beat out the PS and Saturn in porting Myst?
Others seem to agree. I pulled this from Wikipedia ...
Ports
3DO: This port is very faithful to the original Macintosh version.
Amiga
Atari Jaguar: This port is identical to the 3DO and CD-I port.
CD-I: This port is identical to the 3DO port.
LaserActive: A planned LaserActive Mega LD-ROM version was planned by Sega, but was cancelled. There are very few prototypes available. [citation needed]
PlayStation: This port's resolution is poor[2], due to hardware limitations [citation needed].
Sega CD: A Sega CD edition of the game was produced, but never released [3].
Sega Saturn: This port is identical to the PlayStation port.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myst
The Smoothest version I've been told is for Atari Jaguar CD.
I own a jag cd, but not it's port of Myst (just the demo) If it's other ports are any indication though, I doubt the Jag version of Myst is best (no offense to my fellow Jag fans)

sonofjabba
3DO ZERO USER

Post by sonofjabba » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:38 am

I still believe that 3DO had better rendering than PS/Saturn By far. Games like Need For Speed Play SO MUCH Smoother than on PS or Saturn. PS & Saturn is was incredibly choppy. I was so disappointed in the PS version of NFS. I expected a lot more, and got boned.

I'm a hard core Sega guy. But for the 32Bit CD machines 3DO won hands down.
Nutcase

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:34 pm

Trev wrote:
So that makes the 3DO the system that beat out the PS and Saturn in porting Myst?
Ports
Amiga
LaserActive: A planned LaserActive Mega LD-ROM version was planned by Sega, but was cancelled. There are very few prototypes available. [citation needed]
PlayStation: This port's resolution is poor[2], due to hardware limitations [citation needed].
I own a jag cd, but not it's port of Myst (just the demo) If it's other ports are any indication though, I doubt the Jag version of Myst is best (no offense to my fellow Jag fans)
Well, I can say that I do have Myst for the Jaguar CD and can say that it is a great conversion for Myst. I am not a fan of the game in any respect but have played the horrid Playstation and Saturn versions of the game. Acclaim dropped the ball again when porting Myst to the systems. The Jaguar and 3DO versions both play and look identical from what I have seen. Although the Jaguar version does have a hidden section where you get to go through the Atari headquarters Myst style. That's the main reason most Jaguar fans even have the game, to be honest. :lol:
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

bonefish
3DO ZERO USER

Post by bonefish » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:55 pm

Maybe the 3do likes Cinepak a bit more than other consoles? I was always impressed by the clarity of the still images the 3do could do. Could it's mac development tool roots have helped it?

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:43 am

bonefish wrote:Maybe the 3do likes Cinepak a bit more than other consoles? I was always impressed by the clarity of the still images the 3do could do. Could it's mac development tool roots have helped it?
Could be man.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:46 pm

Although the Jaguar version does have a hidden section where you get to go through the Atari headquarters Myst style. That's the main reason most Jaguar fans even have the game, to be honest.
Are you for real? :o

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:45 pm

Trev wrote:
Although the Jaguar version does have a hidden section where you get to go through the Atari headquarters Myst style. That's the main reason most Jaguar fans even have the game, to be honest.
Are you for real? :o
Yes, I am for real. It is there seriously.

jesusc
3DO ZERO USER

Post by jesusc » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:35 am

stolen from Gamefaqs:

Set the date in the planetarium to May 22, 1970 6:30am (birthday of programmer who did the Jaguar port) and the front view of the library will be replaced by a picture of Atari's former HQ.

Blades
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Blades » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:02 am

I got the 3DO version in the mail today and...

The quality's amazing! Even better that I thought it'd be like. The loading times are a bugger though, but the image quality keeps up. Hell, I hooked it up to my HDTV to try it out widescreen (Myst is in widescreen on 3DO, not sure about other versions) and it still looked good for 1993.

I also ordered the Saturn version off eBay just to try it out, but its still in the mail.

How does the jaguar version stack up in loading times?

Blades
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Blades » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:50 am

I also wanted to ask about this...

Wiki says: "The console ports featured narration for the letters viewed during gameplay in order to make full use of the hardware."

My 3DO version doesn't do this. Cause? Dirty CD? 3DO Racism :D ?

Does the Saturn/CD-i/PS ports do the narration?

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:47 pm

Blades wrote:I also wanted to ask about this...

Wiki says: "The console ports featured narration for the letters viewed during gameplay in order to make full use of the hardware."

My 3DO version doesn't do this. Cause? Dirty CD? 3DO Racism :D ?

Does the Saturn/CD-i/PS ports do the narration?
Your laser might just be a tad dirty. The Jaguar version of Myst loads faster than the 3DO one. The Jaguar CD was built for Cinepak is why. As for what the Saturn version of MYST, man, it's terrible. The same basically as the Playstation one. Sorry to let you down man, but hopefully you didn't pay much for it.

Blades
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Blades » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:26 am

So the narration *should* be there?

and I got SCREWED By saturn Myst, $20 Bucks + shipping!

Well, at least it'll look cool on the shelf.

Gunstar
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Post by Gunstar » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:00 am

T2KFreeker wrote:
Trev wrote:
Ports
Amiga
Well, I can say that I do have Myst for the Jaguar CD and can say that it is a great conversion for Myst. I am not a fan of the game in any respect but have played the horrid Playstation and Saturn versions of the game. Acclaim dropped the ball again when porting Myst to the systems. The Jaguar and 3DO versions both play and look identical from what I have seen. Although the Jaguar version does have a hidden section where you get to go through the Atari headquarters Myst style. That's the main reason most Jaguar fans even have the game, to be honest. :lol:
count me out on that claim, I have the Jaguar version, loved it, glad to have purchased it, but I never even knew there was a secret Atari headquarters in it, so that's definately NOT the reason I own it. But I'm not even sure if you are correct on this secret. I know Club Drive has a secret Atari HQ to drive around/in, but I've never heard of Myst having it, and it doesn't show up in any of the Jaguar cheat guides, including the most inclusive JS2 version that was updated by JS2 users last year. So, if you are right, please post the code/cheat here for Jag Myst, becuase I'd love to check it out. Never, EVER, heard it even mentioned before either, until you did here, and I've been active in the Jaguar (and 3DO) communities for about 12 years.

All that being said, the 3DO and Jaguar versions are identical and both superior to any console versions. The one advantage the 3DO has, IIRC, over the Jag version, is the ability to use the 3DO mouse, the Jaguar, while it does have a mouse interface and hombrew programs that use an Amiga mouse with it, now, does not have any mouse controlled games from official releases (during the Jag's commercial life). Same with Cannon Fodder ,IIRC, too...

EDIT: You are "sort of" correct about this cheat, I just checked the Jaguar cheats faq, and it does have a code, but ALL it does is change the outside FACE of the library to look like Atari HQ, that's it, no HQ to explore, just one still pic on the outside of the library. So I think you got "combined" this cheat with the Club Drive cheat to come up with your misinformation.
Trip WHOkins?!?
World's greatest 3DO Need for Speed racer [even 'X man' says so, digitally immortalized in the game...R.I.P.] http://3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/viewtopi ... ight=speed

Blades
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Blades » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:47 am

How does Myst Masterpiece edition stack up? It has supposedly "updated graphics and updated sound". Is that true?

Also, why in HELL is realMyst so goddamn expensive? I downloaded the demo and just fell in love, went on ebay, and fainted.

80 BUCKS?! For a game of realMyst?! Does anybody know anywhere to get a copy? Hell, i'll stoop to the illegal level to get the 3D myst experience.

MUST HAVE MYST :twisted: