new to here but not to 3do...

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DDodo
3DO ZERO USER

new to here but not to 3do...

Post by 3DDodo » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:46 pm

Hi everyone,

Ive owned a 3do for around 10 years and has been sat in a draw for many years, i dug it out the other day and after a plug and play i have fallen back in love with it again and just stumbled across this site.

i have an original panasonic fz-1 console with a panasonic controller and a goldstar controller with quite a few games (wont bore you with a list unless requested)

i have a few quick questions if anyone can help...

when i used to play it on my old TV quite afew years ago i remember the video being sharp and the graphics being better but on my current 26" widescreen it looks terrible, im only using the standard areal lead but ive read you can get some other ones. Is there anything i can do to make it look abit better?

also i know the 3do could play videos, is it possible to convert videos to a 3do format so they will play? (ie take a film and convert it to play on 3do) if so how can i do it..

also how can you create image cd's to play on the 3do? i know that you could take your pictures into kodak and they could put them on a disc which would work in the 3do.

thanks

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:30 pm

when i used to play it on my old TV quite afew years ago i remember the video being sharp and the graphics being better but on my current 26" widescreen it looks terrible, im only using the standard areal lead but ive read you can get some other ones. Is there anything i can do to make it look abit better?
someone with a widescreen tv can help you on that part of it (im still using my 27inch 1999 tubie TV with AV cords)

also i know the 3do could play videos, is it possible to convert videos to a 3do format so they will play? (ie take a film and convert it to play on 3do) if so how can i do it..
you will need to buy a VCD adaptor like these to play VCD movies or any movie you convert to VCD
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/ ... dloose.jpg

to convert avi to mpg/VCD i used MainConcept MPEG Encoder its an old encoder but i havent converted anything to vcd since i bought my philips divx dvd player in 2004
Total Video Converter is good also as it can convert any format into any another

then just use most any burning program to burn it as a VCD
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:59 pm

For the picture quality problem, get an S-video cable and play with that. S-video is worlds better than standard composite. Other than that, there's not much you can do. Modern HDTVs show off flaws in old games that old TVs used to mask.

3DDodo
3DO ZERO USER

Post by 3DDodo » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:25 pm

thanks for the reply...

Right...them video adapters look quite rare.lol.

Ive just found an audio and video cable (the one with 3 separate plugs in yellow,white and red both ends) and a scart adapter that one end of the cable plugs into.
Then you just plug one end to the 3DO and the other into the scart port on the back of the TV, seems to make a big difference, colours are brighter and more defined, images are sharper and smoother but sound seems no different (but sound was always prety good).

Is it worth upgrading again to an S-video cable?

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:40 pm

Oh, SCART, are you in the UK? Hmmm... I've never used SCART, but I kinda doubt that it could get as good a picture as S-video through translating the composite picture. But maybe that's what those adapters are for. Dunno, maybe someone from the UK could chime in -- 3DOkid?

I'd still give S-video a shot, though, if it's an option on your TV. The cables are about $5 and the picture is nearly component-quality.

3DDodo
3DO ZERO USER

Post by 3DDodo » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:17 pm

i dont think its an option on my tv, i could get a s-video to scart lead i suppose. Can anyone advise!?!

Scart is prety much what we use for everything, Even brand spanking HD tv's so quality on a scart must be about as good as it gets.

i may invest in an S-video lead tho. will one of the ebay ones do or is it worth me shelling out for a qood quality one?

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:31 am

You should be fine with most any S-video cable ("high quality" cables are mostly a racket). I dunno if they ship outside the US, but monoprice.com has really good, really cheap cables of all kinds. At the very least, they can give you a price reference.

Demolition Man
3DO ZERO USER

"high quality" cables

Post by Demolition Man » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:24 pm

I would agree about the cables for the most part. I work for Directv here in Tennessee. I have seen customers spend over 100-200 dollars on HDMI or componet cables or a high end s-video with gold ends that cost a lot of money and I can't tell much difference in the cheaper ones that come in the box with the reveiver they get. Just some rambling.............see ya.\
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’

pitsunami
3DO ZERO USER

Post by pitsunami » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:41 am

Aerial lead is the worst of all! Connect your 3do using the three rca. Your tv should have the same colour rca in the back or you could use a rca-scart adaptor.