Other gaming forums

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Other gaming forums

Post by Trev » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:18 pm

I was curious what other gaming forums are popular w/members of the 3do forum? From checking out numerous other sites, I see many of the same names I see here.

Myself, although I jump around to many forums reading various posts, this is the only forum I am regualr on. I'll occasionaly check in on the cdi forum just for the heck of it (although w/a broken player I am less inclined to) and I make an occasional stop at Nuon dome and some multi-platform sites, but 3DO is my only constant. What can I say ... it is still my favorite console after all these years.

Anyway, what forums are the best?

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:55 pm

actually my first forum was IGN for the Everquest forum in january of 2000, and in 2 years i had over 10,000 posts there my account was still active as of 2006 but my post numbers were gone as well as most of the everquest forums

then was Gamewinners but after they promoted a poster to a moderator and he turned into the forum police (when you get a warning for going off topic then its time to leave), i havent been visiting there as much, maybe 4 times in the last 5 years. plus its a dead forum for classic games, if your not into PS3, 360.. etc dont bother

then onto Atariage in oct. 2001 and almost 9000 posts later im still there, i mostly stay in the general topic area and classic forums now tho since i dont really collect games or information anymore :)

then i went to digitpress in 2002 but i dont post as much there maybe alittle over 200 posts or so, i mostly just read threads there, and im still lost on alot of the inside jokes that run there ... heh

others in no order
-This forum (DUH!)
i just joined the CD-i forum a few weeks ago, even tho i collected for the Cd-i i never went to the forum untill i joined here

-Nintendoage - just joined a few weeks ago, so i could read the threads people posted on DP and to see if any of my NES games are worth anything
-Sega-16 forums - really good site

i think thats about it
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:05 pm

then was Gamewinners but after they promoted a poster to a moderator and he turned into the forum police (when you get a warning for going off topic then its time to leave),
Don't you just love people like that? :wink:
-Sega-16 forums - really good site
Yeah, I agree.

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:29 pm

I'm on Sega-16 as well, but not that active.

I used to be on Emuparadise but haven't been there in years.
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin

Beef Supreme
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Beef Supreme » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:33 pm

this is it for me , i'm not as big into gaming as i used to be , last system i bought was ps2 , tho my friend keeps bugging me to get a 360 since he always has to bring his over for gta4 . 3do is still my favorite system tho . probably always will be , brings back memories of the good ole' days when flannel was in , music was good (and mtv still played music) and gas was 98 cents a gallon ....ah memories .

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:35 pm

Lemmi wrote:
then was Gamewinners but after they promoted a poster to a moderator and he turned into the forum police (when you get a warning for going off topic then its time to leave), i havent been visiting there as much, maybe 4 times in the last 5 years. plus its a dead forum for classic games, if your not into PS3, 360.. etc dont bother
I'll be imposing those kind of rules pretty soon around here matey. Just as soon as I'm clear about what on-topic means ;)

We're too small to worry about that kind of pap IMHO.

A couple of british ones. Retrogamer and RLLMUK. I've kind of given up on both. I'm a periah because I am Sony fanboy, not a terribly agressive one, and I don't like Nintendo/Sega. I respect, to a degree, both companies, but there is an obsessional cult surrounding them - that just bugs the hell out of me. And all they want to talk about is Mario,Sonic,Master Chief and Sony-LOL. People have become blinkered. (Hell, I know I am, but at least I can see it!)

The Assembler forums are good. Sometimes. Certainly more interesting than the perpetual Sega fap-fap-fap, Xbox360/PS3/Wii fap-fap-fap of most others.

I'd like to join a nice quiet Sony forum, like this forum, but where people talk about old PSX, PS2, PS3 and PSP games without the fap-fap-fap, and without the "Should have bought a Wii60 brigade". A nice chat about Colony Wars or Legacy of Kain, or Onimusha or Burning Road or Krazy Ivan, Wangan Midnight - that would be smashing.

The Atariage forums are alright. A teeny bit stuffy, but nice and quiet, the quality of information is reasonably good. They can be a bit wierd too. (No offense) but you hit on the right topic and it all kicks-off and the arguments get pretty heated - pretty fast. (dare anyone mention the JagCF? or Piracy? Or Frog Feast or whatever the hell it was... ;) )

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:19 pm

3DOKid wrote:
Lemmi wrote:
I'll be imposing those kind of rules pretty soon around here matey. Just as soon as I'm clear about what on-topic means ;)

We're too small to worry about that kind of pap IMHO.
thats the thing the classic forum and the NES forum was pretty dead and a few of us tried to liven it up a bit but as soon as he became a MOD everything changed and he chased everyone away, i think he is still a mod there (apollo) and you cant give one word answers either even if thats all you needed to type to get the point across .. heh

i was on the Assembler forums also way back then he changed something and my login didnt work anymore so i didnt rejoin

oh i forgot Freedo forums one of the deadest forums on the net, i havent checked that forum in about a year

i like one stop shopping forums where everything is covered from pong/arcades to modern etc...
I don't like Nintendo/Sega. I respect, to a degree, both companies, but there is an obsessional cult surrounding them - that just bugs the hell out of me. And all they want to talk about is Mario,Sonic,Master Chief and Sony-LOL. People have become blinkered. (Hell, I know I am, but at least I can see it!)
no idea what blinkered means :)

get this im a sega and nintendo fan and ive only played the original supermario a few times the only mario games i like are the first 2 games of mario on the SNES, and never really played sonic, and i dont know who master chief is

and my boycott of anything Sony is still going strong even tho i got a Playstation as a gift for Xmas of 99 (girlfriend forgot that i hated sony)
but since i didnt pay for it i played final fantasy for awhile then let it collect dust for 2 years before packing it away
and you cant tell me there arent ALOT of sony fanholes out there :P
i think there are more for the playstation then any other company

and i try to stay away from the console war threads, as soon as i see any that system sucks this system is better i leave
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:55 pm

3DOKid wrote: I'd like to join a nice quiet Sony forum, like this forum, but where people talk about old PSX, PS2, PS3 and PSP games without the fap-fap-fap, and without the "Should have bought a Wii60 brigade". A nice chat about Colony Wars or Legacy of Kain, or Onimusha or Burning Road or Krazy Ivan, Wangan Midnight - that would be smashing.
Ditto. We should create one, since I actually don't frequent forums much. There's Pyoko, which is very slow right now. And this, because you kind of asked me to join.

Tragically I can't see a more staid, quiet message board working out too well. They seem to operate either on cult of personality or legendary flame.
Lemmi wrote: and you cant tell me there arent ALOT of sony fanholes out there :P
Fans of a certain console? Sounds unrealistic.

Seriously, though, every console has jackasses in its camp. They handle essential PR functions that the developers can't... like calling each other cocksuckers.

What bugs me is that things seem to be a bit unbalanced right now. The 360 is not a well-designed machine for durability, but hey, no problem. USes your disc as a heat sink and some drive models stamp concentric rings onto the discs, and even the redesign is still overheating but at least it's SLOWER...

Meanwhile, GTA4 gets released and the internet unanimously claims that the PS3 version does not work on the 60GB version at all, freezes the moment you reach the end of the opening cinema, can't be passed, etc etc etc. This was a veritable wall of propaganda. It was simply true, as far as the internet was concerned.

It never had a flaw on my 60GB. My friend's, either. My other friend, his game locked up once. Not at that point. Wow, call it a failure now, we're done!

This puts me in the weird position of having to defend a product that, unlike the attacking party, I have no vested emotional interest in. Disc goes in machine, controller goes in hand, person zones out for a bit and hopefully doesn't have a seizure while enjoying some escapism. It's not worth the bile and bullshit people are flinging around like peanuts at a bad movie.

Nintendo has this home field advantage. They're a part of our childhood, and nevermind the fact that they behaved like evil scumfucks until they had no other choice but to play nice, that's the MARIO CONSOLE! Microsoft stymied PC gaming to make their console a success five years after claiming the PC would rule the N64 and PSX, they'll hobble the console market if it helps them in another aspect of business.

Sony isn't any better, none of them are here for your entertainment. It's just that your entertainment is what pays for their yachts. Fanboys are stupid. They are essentially the other woman for an emotionless lover.

Anyway, somebody just traded in the original Road Rash, I'm going to play that now.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:05 am

Vance, those who handle pr functions for consoles, as well as the folks at Nintendo do not appreciate some of your choice of language, and neither do I.

For a nice tip on how to kick the foul language habit, may I suggest the movie "The man" starring Samuel L. Jackson & Eugene Levy. Levy gave Jackson a nice way to fix the F-bomb problem.

Funny movie too!

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:10 am

You can fail to appreciate my language all you like. If it's a problem with the forum moderators, I'll stow it. In the meantime, there's a reason I don't hang around at bake sales.

If you'd like some tips on how to not be passive-aggressive, you're on your own. I don't really care.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:40 am

No need for that Vance, I was trying to be nice about it.

nocturne
3DO ZERO USER

Post by nocturne » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:47 am

On other gaming forums

I used to frequent Atariage, though the general chat was getting a bit boring, There was an element of elitist which just started to bug me way too much. The tech/mod section was just straight out frustrating. I joined digipress for a while and to me it was just the sister of atariage. Theres great people on AA and DP, I guess i just left

If a neogeo or amiga forum existed that didn't have a flagpole up itself i'd be happy.

This forum's balanced well

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:16 am

If a neogeo or amiga forum existed that didn't have a flagpole up itself i'd be happy.
I've been looking for a place to discuss the cdtv & cd32. What amiga forum(s) were you reffering to?

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:53 pm

Calm fella's - calm ;)

Vance, Trev, I love you both. Equally. You know that don't you? ;)

I also love quiet Nintendo/Sega fanboys. ;)

All you need is love. John Lennon. (actually I can't abide the Beatles.)
(so, all you need is love, and a little bit of hate for hippies. ;) )

To be fair I love the early 90s Sega Arcade machines. Virtua-stuff in general, and I quite enjoyed the Saturn conversions, even though many lamented them. The home conversion of Virtua Cop 1 and 2 still gets played frequently.

I just don't like the: it's better because it's Sega argument. I'm happy to discuss stuff like Ridge Racer vs Sega Rally, or Tekken vs Virtua Fighter, or Time Crisis vs Virtua Cop, 'cos it's like arguing vanilla ice-cream vs chocolate ice-cream. I love 'em both. But there is a lot of people who love Sega games "just because", and hate Namco games just because (Sony Affiliation) it just ruins the debate. Blinkered.

The other part is that I tried. I'm a tryer. If someone says "Will, you gotta play this game, it's aces" I try and play it. Games like Sonic and Mario just don't do it for me. I'm too late to the party I guess. And no one wants to listen to me moaning on about their faded rose-tinted memories being rubbish. (I know I don't)

So where is this going? I'll stop moaning about Sega/Nintendo. :)

Still - you should all play Legacy of Kain on the PlayStation. It's aces. And Ray Tracers. And Colony Wars. And Onimusha on the PS2.

That is all.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:12 pm

But there is a lot of people who love Sega games "just because", and hate Namco games just because (Sony Affiliation) it just ruins the debate.
Of course Namco did provide the Sega Dreamcast w/the amazing Soul Caliber. So that argument can't always hold the mustard.

I owned a ps2, but could never get into like I did w/my PS1. In fact, much of my ps2 playtime was spent playing older ps1 games.
A nice chat about Colony Wars or Legacy of Kain, or Onimusha or Burning Road
Never played Burning Road, but kinda looks like Crash n' burn, no?

Love is in the air 3DOKid! :wink:

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:34 pm

Trev wrote:
A nice chat about Colony Wars or Legacy of Kain, or Onimusha or Burning Road
Never played Burning Road, but kinda looks like Crash n' burn, no?
It's more like a cross between Ridge Racer and Daytona believe it or not. (not that good mind you) Ray Tracers is better.
Trev wrote:
Love is in the air 3DOKid! :wink:
LOVE BETTER BE IN THE AIR - AND DAMN WELL STAY THERE - RIGHT? RIGHT!? EVERYONE!? VANCE!? LOVE!? IN THE AIR!?! YOU TOO!?

(I imagine it is, Vance is lovely guy! ;) )

:wink:

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:14 pm

Abusive language and swearing are a legacy of slavery, humiliation, and disrespect for human dignity, one’s own and that of other people.
-Leon Trotsky, The Struggle for Cultured Speech (1923)

I still curse a lot though.
3DOKid wrote:I just don't like the: it's better because it's Sega argument. I'm happy to discuss stuff like Ridge Racer vs Sega Rally, or Tekken vs Virtua Fighter, or Time Crisis vs Virtua Cop, 'cos it's like arguing vanilla ice-cream vs chocolate ice-cream. I love 'em both. But there is a lot of people who love Sega games "just because", and hate Namco games just because (Sony Affiliation) it just ruins the debate. Blinkered.
I actually made it one of my missions to collect and play every Sega game that I could get my hands on. Panzer Dragoon Orta was the sole reason I bought an Xbox.

:D

But I'm not a blind fanboy. I am a fanboy, I admit that, but I do recognize Sega's flaws. The task I will undertake will be a task of masochism. For every Yakuza there's a Shadow The Hedgehog.
3DOKid wrote:Still - you should all play Legacy of Kain on the PlayStation.
Legacy Of Kain: Soul Reaver is superior on the Dreamcast.

If you mean Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain, then I second that. One of my favorite games of all time. I find it way too hard though and I've never finished it. [/i]
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:24 pm

Indeed - if you like your legacy of kain in 3D. The original, destined for the 3DO, was a 2D top down PSX (and PC I think) title.

I loved Legacy of Kain on Dreamcast - all except the ending, which nearly made me destroy my controller in rage. (worst ending ever -- honestly)

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:53 pm

I hate the names of the games. It's so hard to follow along chronologically if you're going by the plot.

There's Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain. It's the first one. You'd think that Blood Omen 2 would be the sequel but noooooo Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver is the sequel. I forget which ones come after that.

I'd love to play the series in order of the story which is why I stopped playing Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver on the Dreamcast. I want to finish Blood Omen first... if I can get past the difficulty. Even though the intro of Legacy of Kain basically tells you what happens at the end of Blood Omen, I just don't feel right playing through the sequel without beating the original first.
-Vladimir Lenin

nocturne
3DO ZERO USER

Post by nocturne » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:42 am

Trev

I've discovered amiga.org

This looks like an excellent amiga forum, no snobbery :)

Have you got a CD32 and a CDTV? i Have the cd32, recently got the 444 disc, loads of fun

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:12 am

Thanks, I'll definitely be checking out amiga.org in the near future. :)

I actually only have a cd32, but I understand that many if not most of the cdtv games will run on it.

Games are kinda a pain to find though. Ebay always has plenty of pal ones, but I've found compatibility w/some are sporadic. I used to buy from a company called Centsible.com ... they had a pretty good selection, but they seemed to have vanished as of late.

What is the 444 disc? Is it a compilation of some kind?

nocturne
3DO ZERO USER

Post by nocturne » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:55 pm

The 444 is a compo disc of regular amiga games whdload hacked. I question how legal it is, but loads of fun.

The pal/ntsc thing with cd32's. You can get into the kickstart while booting to change region, but alot of the times it makes no difference once the cd starts, You probably know that already, and i don't thinks theres anyway to patch cd32 cd's

I've had %100 luck with cdtv titles running on the cd32, mind you, i only have 5 cdtv titles

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:59 am

The pal/ntsc thing with cd32's. You can get into the kickstart while booting to change region, but alot of the times it makes no difference once the cd starts, You probably know that already
Actually, I've never been 100% sure about this ... isn't it a trick involving an Amiga mouse or something? (I could be way off)

I have one cdtv title that does not work on my cd32, but the name escpes me at the moment. I think it was something like 'Dj in a box' or something ... some kind of music creation/editing tool

nocturne
3DO ZERO USER

Post by nocturne » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:25 am

Yes it is the mouse you need to use. You plug it in to port 2,hold both buttons down and turn on the cd32. It's in the advanced options to change pal/ntsc. Some titles do require you to do this, Some you can force the output, other titles display their native region regardless. I don't think there is a compatability list online, just trial and error

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:29 am

Similiar to a1200 wasn't it? I remember having to do something similiar to get a500 games running on an a1200

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:16 am

I finally joined T2KFreekers 3DO Maniac forum, and have been busy recycling the same posts that I've been dishing here for the past year and a half :lol:

:wink: Kidding of course

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:43 pm

I hope this forum stays the way it is - I've been watching forums for years but never joined because of all the before mentioned reasons.I have only been active here a short time but it is tribute to everyone that is a part of this that I feel as comfortable as I do. Already Vance and I have had our disagreements but everyone please remember there is a difference between respect , manners and censorship and I certainly dont believe in censorship. If we keep things respectful of each other we wont have to go down the big bad moderator path because that'd suck.We are all here because we love games no matter what system or vintage its just that we all have 3DO in common.
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG