TECHNICAL SUPPORT THREAD

Got a problem with your 3DO? Ask!
Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

TECHNICAL SUPPORT THREAD

Post by Trev » Thu May 15, 2008 6:13 pm

Lately it seems that I've been reading more technical related posts on 3do related concerns. I was thinking that (like our sister cd-i forum) perhaps it was time to add a section just for this (or at the very least it's own sticky) Just an idea.

nocturne
3DO ZERO USER

Post by nocturne » Fri May 16, 2008 4:15 am

Hi All

I agree, would be great to share tech related findings or experience. There really is very little online when looking up for tech help. Theres many fans here as it is who seem to love the machine,

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri May 16, 2008 11:27 am

Okay. Here it is. :)
Last edited by 3DOKid on Sat May 17, 2008 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri May 16, 2008 8:48 pm

Sounds good, thanks.

nocturne
3DO ZERO USER

Post by nocturne » Tue May 20, 2008 4:56 am

Does anyone know exactly what laser an FZ10 takes? I'd love a replacement for my ntsc model.

Also, any links to schematics etc. No-ones successfully done a 50/60hz mod, as we know, some pal games suffer the worst letterbox effect ever,

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:25 pm

just wanted to say welcome aboard nocturne - thank god I'm not the only crazy aussie here! Up until recently Matsushita kept a massive spare parts directory via Panasonic. It sounds like a long shot but try emailing Panasonic in the U.S - last time I checked there were even some M2 bits and pieces listed but not available.At least you may get the model/laser type from them.

3DO is Dead , long live 3DO

Devin
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Re: Technical support forum

Post by Devin » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:26 am

Trev wrote:Perhaps it was time to add a section just for this (or at the very least it's own sticky) Just an idea.
Can create a Tech Support Forum if it'll separate the posts easier than a sticky, those in favour say 'I'!

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:31 am

I 8)
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:58 pm

I too! (I mean me too) :)

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:02 pm

Personaly I think it could be combined with the emulator support forum.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:16 pm

Personaly I think it could be combined with the emulator support forum.
If it is going to be moved why combine it? I think make it seperate or keep it as is.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:01 am

Because they are both support forums and the emulator support forum doesnt get used that much as it is. That change wouldn't change the overall appearance of the forum listings either. Maybe it's just the OCD talking here...

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:10 pm

Maybe it's just the OCD talking here...
Sounds like it to me :wink:

Actually, I think now that Freedo will be going open source the emulator forum will get a bit more action.

Faithless
3DO ZERO USER

3DO doesn´t enter bios mode

Post by Faithless » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:37 am

Hi, guys.You are my only hope. =(

I have just brought a 3DO FZ10 model with Gex. I was thinking if I can make it work again.

Here is the probblem.

It stays on the 3DO logo and them, a message appears on the screen:

***** system error, data abort in supervisor mode.
Where ***** is some word i can´t read because of the tv screen.Its on the upper left side on the screen.

Once, I managed to make Gex boot for a short time (2 secs) and then, it seens like the console reboot back to the 3do logo.

In short.
Doesn't enter on bios/keeps rebooting.Discs seems to work.

Sorry for my really bad english. Any help is apreciated.
thanks.

klogg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by klogg » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:00 pm

Buddy, you should start a new topic in the main foruns.

Chances are that nobody saw your request. :idea:
3DO Brazil website (in portuguese): http://www.3dobrasil.com.br

Faithless
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Faithless » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:47 pm

Thanks!I was thinking of doing that, but I was afraid it may be against rules. LOL

I'll do that.Thanks again.

RaZiel
3DO ZERO USER

Post by RaZiel » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:24 pm

So I got a 3DO (FZ-1) from a guy and was told it was working. Well I get it home and try to eject the disc tray and it does and the logo comes up. Then it automatically closes and the screen goes black with no results. Now if I hold the tray open it will stay and it displays dash and the 3DO logo and seems to work fine. Then once I close the tray the access light lights up for like 1 second and the screen goes black again. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks for any help. I was pointed here from another forum and I am glad there is a dedicated forum for this awesome system.

pitsunami
3DO ZERO USER

Post by pitsunami » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:28 pm

RaZiel wrote:So I got a 3DO (FZ-1) from a guy and was told it was working. Well I get it home and try to eject the disc tray and it does and the logo comes up. Then it automatically closes and the screen goes black with no results. Now if I hold the tray open it will stay and it displays dash and the 3DO logo and seems to work fine. Then once I close the tray the access light lights up for like 1 second and the screen goes black again. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks for any help. I was pointed here from another forum and I am glad there is a dedicated forum for this awesome system.
I would recomend to check the inside cables.Something is not sitting right.

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:35 am

could be a pinched ribbon cable - it was a problem on the goldstars due to the drive mechanism being on the tray but usually didn't affect FZ-1s as its all internal. Very possible it became loose/pinched in transit a fix should be a straight forward clean (compressed air) and reattach
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:37 am

Womi posted this somewhere else so I gave it a proper home.
My PAL FZ-1 doesn't seem to read any discs at all.
The tray slides out normal, and it tries to read the disc - spins up and down - and eventually gives up after some tries (and the tray slides out again).

The first thing I did is cleaning the whole disc drive, making sure every ribbon is connected etc.
And voila, it read discs again. I played some Need for Speed.

Next day, I tried it again and it didn't read any disc at all again.

I found it that it only reads discs if I push the laser manually to the start position.

Does anybody know how to fix this?
Thanks!

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:06 am

(This is some basic information I posted on another forum to help a member diagnose an unresponsive FZ-1. This may be of some use to members here as well.)

Here is a basic overview of the power supply section (outlined in yellow) on the FZ-1 model. As you can see, it is integral to the main PCB.

The 9-volt regulator supplies power to the CD drive, fan motor (if present - some FZ-1's are supplied with a fan, some aren't), and audio amplifiers.

The 5-volt regulator supplies power to the CD drive and system board.

Please be aware that the mains transformer, full-wave bridge rectifier and filter cap. are active when the unit is plugged in regardless of the on/off switch.

Inspect these two locations for their associated DC voltages.

If neither voltage regulator has an appropriate output voltage, it is highly likely either the switch, fuse, or mains transformer is faulty.

Check the output of the mains transformer as indicated below.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:22 am

nice info. thanks!

knight2000
3DO ZERO USER

FZ-1 Fuse Problem

Post by knight2000 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:43 pm

Got my hands on an FZ-1 for 30 dollars knowing there was no power. It wouldnt turn on. So I bought it and figured it was the fuse. I opened it up and sure enough the fuse was blown. So I thought simple fix.. I replaced the fuse with the proper amperage 3.15 and as soon as I plugged it in the fuse would blow. It did it twice. I was only able to meter the power supply and i was getting 14.5 volts. I was unable to meter the voltage regulators cause there was no fuse in it.. Any help would be greatly appreciated..

metalrod
3DO ZERO USER

Post by metalrod » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:28 am

I just bought a used 3DO in very good condition. I loaded in Gex which was bought sealed. During the start up there were a few lines on the screen and loading sounds but nothing unusual for a used console however towards the end of the graveyard levels like around an hour and half into playing more lines started showing up this time during the game play which wasn't happening before, and I could hear the loading more than before.

When I put it back it in more lines would show up during loading times and every now and then the lines would come during game play.

I secured my AV cables well, although sometimes they can add to it but I'd like to think it's not from them.

I played crash and burn which was used and contains scratches on the cd but it only gave the lines during the loading times not during the game play.

I tried cleaning the lens with alcohol but it didn't really do anything.

What do you guys think should I do? What could be the issue?

metalrod
3DO ZERO USER

Post by metalrod » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:16 pm

I would like to add that gex isn't saving after I beat the first boss although it says in the manual that it automatically saves after each boss.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:16 pm

metalrod wrote:I would like to add that gex isn't saving after I beat the first boss although it says in the manual that it automatically saves after each boss.
Have you tried calling Crystal Dynamics Support? (if you do, could record the conversation for me ;) )

metalrod
3DO ZERO USER

Post by metalrod » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:15 pm

Do all the gex games record the progress after you beat the first boss?

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:26 pm

metalrod wrote:Do all the gex games record the progress after you beat the first boss?
All of them? How many was there?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:13 am

The Gex manual is somewhat notorious for its error regarding saves. It is wrong, you must save w/a video tape. No auto save, sadly. And a big boo to Crystal for letting the manual ship w/such a mistake. (I got burnt that way when I first bought Gex too)
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:18 am

Wow. Lucky for me I never read the manual.