Current favorites

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Current favorites

Post by Trev » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:41 pm

I know we all love 3DO, but which systems are you enjoying currently? I know that my favorite console of this past generation was the GameCube (Nintendo is the king of 1st party developers) I thought PS2 was for the most part overated, and while I didn't like it much at first, XBOX grew on me as the years went on. For this gen, I can't wait to get my hands on a Wii. The 360 is looking like a solid purchase too. I can't see any reason to spend $500 -$600 on a PS3 now, and I've no interest in Blu Ray.

Dryden
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dryden » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:26 pm

I bought a Wii two weeks ago and am as addicted to it today as I was when I first hooked it up and it was "new." The Wiimote is not a gimmick, and with the third party developers lining up the console is sure to have lasting appeal. Zelda: Twilight Princess is simply an epic story and is brilliant. The Virtual Console may bankrupt me.

I may look at a 360 later on down the road (I do want to play Gears of War and see what all the fuss is about) and will probably wind up being a "Wii-60" fanboy for this go-round. I've looked at the PS3, looked again, and for whatever reason I just don't "get it." The system doesn't have enough memory to even power all its processors, and I'm reading reviews from IGN, Gamespot, and even interviews with the game devs and publishers themselves all complaining about what a mess the toolkit is, the slow speed of Blu-Ray (half the I/O as the 360s regular old DVD drive) and the choppy frame rates and gameplay because of the system bottlenecks. Unless the price drops considerably, I'm going to wait a year or two, or simply pass altogether.

I paid $400 for the big behemoth PS2 at launch, and to date maybe have 20 games for it, and half of them are either from the Greatest Hits line or are EA Sports titles. I suppose what I'm saying is that I wasn't really too enthused for the PS2 to being with, but paid through the nose for the privilege and said thank you to a bunch of rehashed crap that was already on the PS One, only prettier.

Right now, my gut says the PS3 is yet more of the same, and maybe even is this generations' 3DO. Brilliantly engineered in some aspects, grossly flawed in others, priced way too high, and generally just 2 to 3 years ahead of its time. A lot of the games, also like the 3DO, will probably be abysmal as people use the new technology wrongly (meh, I guess that applies to the Wii too, though).

There's more important things than graphics, though. Anyone that looks at the retro market and the ROM pirating scene should be able to see that. I think Nintendo "got it" and the others missed the boat completely.

It doesn't hurt that the people with the most disposable income are going to be the 30 something males, who also happen to be the same people who made the Nintendo army what it was in the late 80s.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:36 pm

I have been playing GBA carts on my DS and my GBA Player for my GC. currently I'm about to finish up Final Fantasy V. VI should be on its way to my house any day now. But i hear it doesn't compare to the SNES version. I remember when I got VI for Christmas. I played that game to death. It's been a long time since I have played it :)

I think If I wasn't playing all the final fantasy games in order (I started the begining of December) I might be playing Gran Turismo 4. I've been getting the itch to play that game again. I have the nice logitech steering wheel too (forget the name right now). GT4 with the wheel is lots of fun. :)

But I guess if it wasn't for those distractions, I would be working on my music. Which I should do more often. lol.

Oh I forgot, I have 2 DS games to play yet. Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin and Yoshi's Island 2. hah. Im occupied with video games for a good while now.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:41 pm

Wow, I forgot all about my DS! :shock: I love it, the only problem is that there are too many great games coming out at once (I guess that is a good poblem to have though) I am hoping to see a revival of the point & click style adventure games on it, and can't way to try Hotel Dusk, (it is getting good reviews) In fact the success of the DS is what has helped convince me to pick up a Wii. Now if only I could find one in stores...

Dryden
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dryden » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:46 pm

Trev wrote:Wow, I forgot all about my DS! :shock: I love it, the only problem is that there are too many great games coming out at once (I guess that is a good poblem to have though) I am hoping to see a revival of the point & click style adventure games on it, and can't way to try Hotel Dusk, (it is getting good reviews) In fact the success of the DS is what has helped convince me to pick up a Wii. Now if only I could find one in stores...
If you can't score a Wii this Sunday during the re-launch, you're probably S.O.L. until March.

Circuit City, Best Buy, Target, EB/Gamestop, Toys R Us, etc ... are ALL alleged to have huge supplies that will *magically* appear Sunday, February 11 at 12:01 AM. Wii Play w/ the Remote bundle comes out that day too.

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:40 am

I got a Wii at launch and played it almost every day for two months straight. Wii Sports and the virtual console kept me pretty well occupied. Zelda got boring pretty fast, so I didn't get far.

I picked up Metal Slug Anthology for the Wii a couple weeks ago, and that sparked a renewed interest in SNK. I just ordered a Neo Geo CDZ with King of Fighters '94 and Samurai Shodown III, and it should be here in the next few days. I can't wait! I'm looking forward to exploring a new console and a game library that I've had very little exposure to.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:56 am

I've always been interested in the Neo Geo. I think it is a good contrast to 3DO ... deep & time consuming games versus quick arcade fixes. Good choice w/the CDZ too, as I heard the original model had killer load times. Apparently this is still the system to own if you are a fan of fighting & shooting games. The only Neo system I ever owned was the hand held pocket color unit. But I'd love to own a cdz one day. Nice score! :D

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:15 am

Interestingly enough, I'm not even much of a fan of fighters or shooters. I'm hoping to pick up 2020 Super Baseball (loved it on the SNES), Baseball Stars 2, The Super Spy, Top Hunter, and Windjammers. I still remember always seeing Windjammers at the local mini-golf place where I grew up, but never playing it. I want to give it a try now!

And yeah, I think the CDZ will be a good intro to Neo-Geo. I almost got the AES, but decided the cart games just aren't worth the price of admission and the CD systems are a better value. I got the CDZ, KOF'94, and SSIII for $260 shipped, all complete and in mint condition. Maybe I paid a little much, but I'm a sucker for boxed/mint condition game systems. Plus the CDZ does have better loading times, and I'll still be able to play everything in English since it has the easiest region mod ever -- instructions are printed right on the motherboard!

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:15 am

ive always wanted a Neo Geo but the price tag isnt worth it in my book
i saw one at Funcoland (they used to be in the back pages of gaming mags in the mid 90's as Funco) when it first opened a store near me they wanted like $300 for it with no games and wanted $100 for a baseball game and $155 for some fighting game :shock:

i bought a Treamcast for the same price tho many years later and im much happier :)
$300 is the most ive ever paid for a system (treamcast) and the next was $150 for a brand new Sega CDX system all the others have been $110 and under

i enjoy my Dreamcast, Saturn, and my Genesis (kinda one sided no? ) :D

but i do have a GC and an Xbox hooked up, but i only play classic compilations on those 2 systems

when i watch a VCD movie i will stick one disc into my dvd player and the other in my CD-i so i wont have to get up to switch CDs :D

oh and just to let people know im kind of a anything made by Sony hater ;)
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:20 am

I was also a Sega fanboy back in the day. I picked the Genesis over the SNES, and I even added the 32X when it was released (too bad Sega was juggling too many systems at once :( ) I picked up a Saturn late in it's life span and still enjoy it on occassion. I nabbed a Dreamcast on launch day and have had a blast with it since (Shenmue is one of my favorite games of all time! :P ) And I also have a CDX, which was kinda pricey, but worth it.

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:24 am

Lemmi wrote:ive always wanted a Neo Geo but the price tag isnt worth it in my book
i saw one at Funcoland (they used to be in the back pages of gaming mags in the mid 90's as Funco) when it first opened a store near me they wanted like $300 for it with no games and wanted $100 for a baseball game and $155 for some fighting game :shock:
You think that's bad!? Check this out:

http://www.neostore.com/detail.asp?ProductID=491

This, folks, is why I bought the Neo-Geo CDZ, and not the cart system.

3DO collectors have it easy by comparison. :)

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:55 am

Mobius wrote:
Lemmi wrote:ive always wanted a Neo Geo but the price tag isnt worth it in my book
You think that's bad!? Check this out:

http://www.neostore.com/detail.asp?ProductID=491

This, folks, is why I bought the Neo-Geo CDZ, and not the cart system.
oh wow i forgot about those, thats still shocking to see in print
i want a cart system just because its huge and i mean everything is HUGE

3DO collectors have it easy by comparison. :)
true but i have spent about $4500 on my 3do collection ;)
and i really only sold about $200 of that in all the doubles of things i have or had

when i play my Saturn i need to stay away from WarCraft 2 and The Horde, i can get lost in those games and lose all track of time when playing those 2 games

i wonder what Warcraft would look like on a 3DO? :D

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:05 am

I used to play warcraft 1 and 2 on the pc. How is warcraft 2 on the Saturn?

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:23 am

bitrate wrote:I used to play warcraft 1 and 2 on the pc. How is warcraft 2 on the Saturn?
i have warcraft 1 and 2 for the PC but i hardly play those because i dont have a controller for my computer

but the Warcraft 2 on the Saturn was my first taste of this style of game, probably in 1998
the campaigns are pretty straight forward, but i enjoy the Custom map campaign part with different size maps, terrains, and designs
i played though 25 different custom maps before i had to stop playing or be fired from work for being late all the time

once you get used to the controller funtions and shortcuts that work for you the game can be a breeze and fun to play, i wore out the left and right buttons on one of my controllers playing that game

i then moved onto Command and Conquer but i didnt go crazy playing that game :)