Introduce yourself.

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

extra_anchovy
3DO ZERO USER

Post by extra_anchovy » Sat May 10, 2008 8:55 am

hi I'm 22 and I'm a new collector of 3DO. I have fond memories of playing Mad Dog McCree's, Who Shot Johnny Rock, Night Trap, Alone in the Dark and Road Rash at my freind's house as a kid. I really like FMV games so I started collecting CD-i around half a year ago. Although it has better versions of the ALG games it doesn't have cool games like Night Trap or AITD. Today I saw a Road Rash at my local gamestore for $6 so I got it. Now I'm trying to decide which 3DO player I should get, any suggestions??

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat May 10, 2008 1:50 pm

A Panasonic FZ-1, if you can, get a Japanese one. Better still get a Developer 3DO. ONe with a switch on the back that allows you to play unencrypted games -- although they are pretty rare.

The bog standard FZ-1 is pretty reliable, pretty common, and by far the best looking model!

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue May 13, 2008 8:26 pm

The Goldstar unit might be your last choice ... although mine was okay for many years, quite a few others have had complaints with it.
The bog standard FZ-1 is pretty reliable, pretty common, and by far the best looking model!
I agree ... sturdy & good looking!

Mr. Payback
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Mr. Payback » Thu May 15, 2008 9:07 am

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri May 16, 2008 11:32 am

A well organised nerd :)

Me too. (only less well organised :) )

Welcome aboard :)

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Fri May 16, 2008 7:44 pm

Wow. I need something like that.

Unfortunately I have a very small room and all the video game consoles that are currently plugged in are on the floor. I wanted to get a TV cabinet but the best ones are way too big for my small room. Oh well. Only a few more years until I finish college, get a job, and move out.
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin

MN12BIRD
3DO ZERO USER

Post by MN12BIRD » Sun May 18, 2008 7:48 pm

Newb here. My name is Jake, I'm from Canada and I own a Panasonic 3DO FZ-1 (motorized tray the way I like em!) and many other systems from TG16, N64, Genesis, SegaCD, 32X, Dreamcast and more!

You can check out my videos (including 3DO related ones!) on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MN12BIRD

Later!

Jake

jetblue
3DO ZERO USER

Post by jetblue » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:11 pm

hi :)
been playing my fz-10 for years now. great system. came on here to look up some info on a goldstar unit i got recently.
lot of info here,great site :)

Attacked By llamas
SPAMMER

Post by Attacked By llamas » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:48 pm

Hey, Im Attacked by llamas. Im new to the 3do. I just got mine last week. Its a Panasonic FZ-10. It came with Foes Of Ali, Fiffa, Quarantine, Theme Park, Alone in the dark, Total eclipse, and Waialae Country Club. Only Themepark, Fifa, and Foes of Ali work though.

I also am a huge Genesis fan, It was my first console. I also own and atari 2600, Dreamcast, 2 n64s, Wii, PS2, PS1, DS, GBA, and Xbox.

I live in the US and have been trying to get into collectiong retro consoles.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:08 pm

Hey, Im Attacked by llamas. Im new to the 3do. I just got mine last week. Its a Panasonic FZ-10. It came with Foes Of Ali, Fiffa, Quarantine, Theme Park, Alone in the dark, Total eclipse, and Waialae Country Club. Only Themepark, Fifa, and Foes of Ali work though.
Too bad you got stuck w/some bum discs :( ... at least the ones that do work are the best of the bunch you mentioned. Foes especially is a very underrated game.

Welcome to the forums.

Jumpinjacks
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Jumpinjacks » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:10 am

Hi all,
Just registered to this great site. It is good to see that people are still keeping the 3DO spirit alive. I have ordered one from Ebay which should be with me soon.
I used to have one back in 1994 ( I think it was then lol ) and I loved WC3 and need for speed, I also remember station invasion was a laugh.
Any other games that people could recommend that would be good.
Tbo WC3 is the main reason for me buying one again, but I am still looking for some more cool games on it though.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:58 am

Jumpinjacks wrote:Hi all,
Just registered to this great site. It is good to see that people are still keeping the 3DO spirit alive. I have ordered one from Ebay which should be with me soon.
I used to have one back in 1994 ( I think it was then lol ) and I loved WC3 and need for speed, I also remember station invasion was a laugh.
Any other games that people could recommend that would be good.
Tbo WC3 is the main reason for me buying one again, but I am still looking for some more cool games on it though.
Hello Mate,

Welcome to the forum.

dazzadasha
3DO ZERO USER

Post by dazzadasha » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:04 pm

Hi.
Nice to find this community.
I had a 3do (Fz1) when it was released and traded it a couple of years later for something stupid like a Jaguar or 32x or something lame.
Man- I regret that and often smile with a heavy heart thinking of the gems - Roadrash, Star control 2, twisted and so on.
Well Ive got the bug again and have just brought Panasonic FZ1 with 30-(YES 30) games -most with original long boxes manuals etc, 2 original controllers and 2 capcom 6 button controllers. It is a wicked package and I got it for 200$ Australian. An insane bargain.
It will arrive later next week- I cant sleep thinking about it- ( I havnt seen one since the 90s).
Anyway I'm pleased to be a part of this nostalgia and thanks for having me aboard.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:53 pm

dazzadasha wrote:Hi.
Nice to find this community.
I had a 3do (Fz1) when it was released and traded it a couple of years later for something stupid like a Jaguar or 32x or something lame.
Man- I regret that and often smile with a heavy heart thinking of the gems - Roadrash, Star control 2, twisted and so on.
Well Ive got the bug again and have just brought Panasonic FZ1 with 30-(YES 30) games -most with original long boxes manuals etc, 2 original controllers and 2 capcom 6 button controllers. It is a wicked package and I got it for 200$ Australian. An insane bargain.
It will arrive later next week- I cant sleep thinking about it- ( I havnt seen one since the 90s).
Anyway I'm pleased to be a part of this nostalgia and thanks for having me aboard.
Amazing. You wait two years then three Aussies all turn up at once. ;)

Welcome aboard mate.

So, you've got 30 games, plenty of time to build on that, what did you get?

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:07 am

myself , extra_anchovy , nocturne , and now dazzadasha that makes 4 not 3!
Its kinda history repeating itself though - I bought my first 3do just prior to moving to a small country town pop 20000. I thought I was the only one with a 3do as they were only available as modded imports and only if you knew the right people.Within weeks word had got around and before I knew there were 3 of us sharing games! 1 x goldstar , one fz-1 and one fz10 !
Hope you stick with the forum dazzadasha and don't worry about the kid"s counting he is English of course :wink: still hasn't forgiven us for the ashes or for making it further than them in the world cup :lol:
I am looking forward to more aussies coming out of the woodwork!
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:12 am

Nowt todo with sport, I ain't forgiven you lot for Kylie Minogue. Probably never will. Well - to be fair I wouldn't mind her so much if she did less singing/speaking and more posing. In lingerie. Then I would forgive you your sports trangesseions. very quickly. very quickly indeed. In fact I just googled Kylie. What are the ashes? Something burnt right ;)

Did Australia really get further than the England in the world cup? From what I can make out there are no English players in English soccer anyway. What we do is train foriegn soccer players to beat us in the Euro/World cup. Amazing scenes. Fortunately -- I hate soccer too. I'm a geek right?

Was the 3DO not officially release in Australia then?

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:25 am

Unfortunately no it wasn't. It was up to independent importers to change the power supplies to 240v and it was a mixed bag of PAL & NTSC models that came our way. It was a pity because the 3do's level of penetration worldwide would've been a lot higher but they along with matsushita and goldstar decided to go after what they thought would be the more lucrative US/Japan market. The fact that there were 3do owners at all over here is more a testimony to the units overseas press and capabilities as a gaming machine than anything that the manufacturers or distributers did.I am reminded of an interview with one of the crystal dynamic guys who defected from 3do itself ( sorry can't remember his name at the moment) who when asked if he would,ve done anything differently to Trip to which he answered "less staff , less internal expenditure and more advertising" or something close to that.This was also about the time that crystal and 3do had their falling out.At times I believe Trip was as much foe than friend! ...and yes it took Italy to knock us out in the world cup semis! I also promise not to mention olympic medal tallies and rugby scores to further inflict pain on the old dart!
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

dazzadasha
3DO ZERO USER

Post by dazzadasha » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:31 am

:) hah hah

dazzadasha
3DO ZERO USER

Post by dazzadasha » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:41 am

[quote]So, you've got 30 games, plenty of time to build on that, what did you get?[quote]
Well here goes
NEED FOR SPEED; ROAD RASH; GEX; TWISTED THE GAME SHOW; WAY OF THE WARRIOR; FAMILY FUED; SPACE PIRATES; MAD DOG 2 THE LOST GOLD; MAD DOG MCCREE, CRIME PATROL; DRUG WARS; THE DAEDALUS ENCOUNTER; NIGHT TRAP; REAL PINBALL; SUPER WING COMMANDER, PSYCHIC DETECTIVE; SEWER SHARK; DRAGONS LAIR; THE LOST FILES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES,SUPER STREET FIGHTER 2 TURBO; CAPTAIN QUAZAR; HELL; STAR WARS REBEL ASSAULT; OFF WORLD INTERCEPTOR; BALLZ THE DIRECTORS CUT; WOLFENSTEIN 3D; MEGA RACE; ZHADHOST THE PEOPLE'S PARTY; FIFA; 3DO SAMPLER CD

I dunno though- Any rare ones ?

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:32 pm

mattyg wrote:Unfortunately no it wasn't. It was up to independent importers to change the power supplies to 240v and it was a mixed bag of PAL & NTSC models that came our way. It was a pity because the 3do's level of penetration worldwide would've been a lot higher but they along with matsushita and goldstar decided to go after what they thought would be the more lucrative US/Japan market. The fact that there were 3do owners at all over here is more a testimony to the units overseas press and capabilities as a gaming machine than anything that the manufacturers or distributors did.I am reminded of an interview with one of the crystal dynamic guys who defected from 3do itself ( sorry can't remember his name at the moment) who when asked if he would,ve done anything differently to Trip to which he answered "less staff , less internal expenditure and more advertising" or something close to that.This was also about the time that crystal and 3do had their falling out.At times I believe Trip was as much foe than friend! ...and yes it took Italy to knock us out in the world cup semis! I also promise not to mention olympic medal tallies and rugby scores to further inflict pain on the old dart!
It's amazing isn't it? From a business point of view, I'm actually a fan of spending money internally. You pay for good wages, you get a degree of loyality, you (perhaps eventually) get a quality product. Based on the argument the difference between a good 'coder' and a bad 'coder' is merely practice. If he stays because of the good wages eventually will be a good coder. (for you at least!)

As evidence, you can argue that some of the later 3DO-Studio titles are the best quality on the system. Killingtime, bladeforce, etc.

Likewise, if you have a lot of people, and ergo, less work, people feel to a degree content. The argument being: "I could could quit, but they may expect me to work". Ergo - no-one quits.

However, not releasing in certain territories seems at best odd. Especially considering that Sanyo, Panasonic, Goldstar would have teams already in place. To a Territory sales manager, the LG (or panasonic or Sanyo) 3DO games console would have been no different to a TV, Fridge or DVD player. it's product with sales target. So, it's odd they didn't just release it.

Maybe (rose tinted glasses on) 3DO wanted a 'proper' product release in each territory (as opposed to a product 'escape') in which case maybe resourcing was a problem...

Same with Brazil and Russia. There are huge (huge = loud) following in those regions too, for a console (3DO) that was never released.

It's probably more of interesting reflection on certain human personalities than anything else.

It would be hard to argue that what binds the people on this forum is not so much the 3DO console itself, or ethnic grouping, but the sense of individuality we get from supporting the obscure platform. It's a way of identifying ourselves in the wider gaming community as 'proper' individuals as opposed the hordes of xbots, nintendo-fanboys, sega-fanboys, etc.

I mean, everyone thinks they are individual but they rarely really are. ( i include myself) but if you can point at something and say: "well, that's me, that's what I am..." then in a purely gaming universe, supporting 3DO really makes you that "Lone Wolf"... that's for sure.

I wasn't having a pop at Aussies btw. I haven't met too many Australians, but generally they are pretty tough minded bunch, and a bit of Pommy-Aussie ribbing is part of the cause. Don't think of me badly, I love foreigners, their world is fascinating. As a Brit, I just sometimes forget that Americans/Australians/Canadians are foreigners (weird? Yeah!) and I kind of expect the same camaraderie from a Yank/Aussie as I world a Brummie, or (god forbid :) ) a Yorkshire-man or Cockney, and, obviously, Australian, Canadian, American culture is different. I just forget. Sorry. Chalk me up as an idiot Brit. (cram packed with love for you lot!)

It's weird, 'cos obviously I wouldn't make fun of a German I didn't know or French man, in quite the same way.

So, please, it's only because I love you guys so much, that I feel safe doing abit of mickey-taking!

However, Sport is not the way to get-my-hackles up. I don't care. Try history or politics. You'll get a much bigger rise out of me ;)

Puggsy
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Puggsy » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:40 am

Another Aussie has just joined!

Hi, my name is Puggsy - great to see a 3DO forum for all us fans.

I bought my first 3DO in 1994 - it was a UK PAL version FZ-10 that came with Twisted, Pebble Beach Golf & Starblade. I bought it off a bloke on the Gold Coast that had a business importing them, his office was actually in the same block of buildings that EA had their Oz offices in! And yet EA weren't selling their 3DO games locally.... :? Over the next couple of years I collected more games: Need for Speed, FIFA, Syndicate, Theme Park & WCIII.

Then in 1996 I did a really dumb thing, I sold my 3DO and all its games for a PlayStation :oops:

Recently through the wonders of eBay I've bought a Jap FZ-1 and am starting to re-discover the fantastic games on the system.

Anyway you'll be hearing from me :D

dazzadasha
3DO ZERO USER

Post by dazzadasha » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:26 am

Gday Pugsy.
Im new here too.
It seems we all have familiar stories.
Nice to see you here.

Anonymous

Intro

Post by Anonymous » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:53 am

Hello all,

This weekend I got into one of my retro gaming modes and started to surf around sites and reading about the status of consoles from days gone by and then got stuck on the 3DO ( the system we could never afford back in the day ) about 7 years ago I purchased an FZ-1 system and started to collect games. I got into the 3DO late in the game but played alot of it while in college. My friends all would have an XBOX, or PS2 in their dorm rooms and I would fight it out with them making them come over and play games on my system! (alot of Street Figher and Madden) . After school the system got backed up (and sadly alot of original games boxes lost) but I never tossed the system always thinking that I would hook it up again.

Needless to say tomorrow the entire system is getting hooked up and an inventory of games taken. I would really like to know if anyone knows of any good side-scoller and/or vertical-scoller shooters?

As for me, I am a 29 year-old gamer living smack-dab in middle of the USA. I work as a Network nerd by day and a wierd gamer by night. :)

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:58 pm

Welcome all new people. Be nice.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:23 am

Hi all. Just now getting back into 3DO collecting,as you saw in my other greeting thread where I posted my new collection. :) I also collect NEC Pc-Engine/Supergrafx stuff. Im a single father of 2 kids. Both my kids are heavy gamers. My son collects TG16 stuff,along with PC, Genesis, GBA and DS,Nes and Wii. My daughter is into PC stuff,GC and DS,and pretty much whatever I play too. I used to be heavy into arcade stuff. At one point in time I would build and sell supergun kits for jamma stuff on ebay,and buy/repair/resell game boards but have since ceased doing so for the time being to take a break from solder fumes and stress it causes. I put a web site up awhile back so me and my friends could slowly churn out reviews for PCE/TG16 related titles: http://home.comcast.net/~amakusa666/PCE ... n-page.htm

If Im not lurking around here I can be spotted on the pcenginefx forums too. My PCE collection list can be viewed here:
http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/27/sh ... ection.htm

The_Legend
3DO ZERO USER

Post by The_Legend » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:10 am

Hello! I'm The_Legend.

I bought my first 3DO a few years ago. It was a FZ-1 with alot of games that weren't boxed or in a slim jewel case. I later bought a FZ-10 (I believe it was system only, can't remember).

It's funny, cause at one point this guy came into the store I shop at and he had alot of the porn games. He had to sell stuff so his wife wouldn't find out. I got 9 I think for about $15!

Before I moved to where I live now I remember seeing a few boxed 3DO games but didn't buy them. Reason? I thought "when will I ever see a 3DO?". I come from a small town and we didn't really have a used game store...you had to hit pawn shops in hopes of finding something.

I've got a decent collection of games, but nothing that'll make your jaw drop.

Glad to be here. Look forward to coming here alot. Also, I do YouTube vids (TheLegend2600), and I'll probably do some 3DO vids. Why not?

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:29 am

Hello mate, welcome to the forum. 3DO vids are always welcome :)

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:58 am

Greetings & salutations one and all. Nice to see a specific place for one of my favorite systems, which I've still kept. My story, I guess, I've always been a gamer. I still kept all the systems I had and in working condition. I have the Atari 7800, Game & Watch- Super Mario, Donkey Kong, Mario Cement Factory, Donkey Kong Jr., NES, Gameboy, Super NES, Genesis, Colecovision, Turbografx 16, TurboDuo, Game Gear, 3DO, Gameboy Advance, PS1, PS2, PS3, Wii, Gameboy SP, PSP and Nintendo DS. As well as the table-top versions of Pac-man and Donkey Kong Jr.

As for my 3DO, I had the GoldStar first, but because the dsic tray had malfunctioned, I had to get it repaired. Then Fedex lost it on route. When I finally got the refund from Fedex, I got the Panasonic FZ-10.

I still cannot get enough of FIFA Soccer, Return Fire, Zhadnost, Way of the Warrior, Captain Quazar, Wolfenstein 3D and Killing Time. (I couldn't stomach the crappiness of Doom or the washout of M2.) I just make the best of what's there and not whine about it.

I really enjoy most of the music from video games, being that there's a little more creativity put into it and some being pretty catchy. I could go on about it but that'll be left on another discussion elsewhere.

Any case, I'm glad to be here and hope to find some like-minded individuals that I can dialog with.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:54 pm

Welcome aboard. :)

Scarlettkitten
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Scarlettkitten » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:06 am

Hi, I'm Scott from the UK and I'm a long time 3DO fan/collector. It's great to see a 3DO forum and I look forward to chatting to you folks :D