M2 Forum

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Should an M2 section be added to the forum?

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 10

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

M2 Forum

Post by Trev » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:38 am

Who thinks it would be a good idea to add a section dedicated to the M2? I think between all of us we could easily support one. Let's make it happen! :P

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:42 am

As I stated in another thread, I think that it would be a good idea to have a section dedicated to the M2. I have a lot of information and a large collection of M2 hardware/software that I could contribute.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:44 am

I have to vote yes as the lost chapter in 3DO was necessary for me to add to the forum I was starting as information on the M2 is awesome, but scattered. I was hopeing to get the info in one spot. Would be nice at least.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:49 am

I'm voting no, but mainly because I'd rather not see the board fragmented any more... That can be dangerous for budding forum communities!

Anyway, if there's actually that much M2 info, then maybe I'll be proven wrong. But I suspect there's not enogh to fill a whole separate forum, and it might go quiet pretty fast.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:52 am

Actually, I was thinking it would just be a thread on this forum, not something entirely new. An addition would be okay, no?

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:54 am

Yes, I was not suggesting a whole separate forum dedicated to the M2, just a subsection of this forum.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:56 am

Aw, I see (computer literate I am not always :oops: ) I'm not sure if there would be enough info either, but if there is we are bound to be the ones who have it. :)

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:56 am

A sub-forum of this one would probably have the same problem. I think a dedicated "M2 Megathread" with a regularly updated first post would be the best solution.

Conversation could happen normally in the thread, then the first post would summarize and link to everything that's collected.

It could probably be stickied.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:02 am

Mobius wrote:A sub-forum of this one would probably have the same problem. I think a dedicated "M2 Megathread" with a regularly updated first post would be the best solution.

Conversation could happen normally in the thread, then the first post would summarize and link to everything that's collected.

It could probably be stickied.
i vote yes for the one sticky mega thread option :)
maybe post something new once or twice a week if you have it. it will also give people time to ask questions or comment

it will bring people into the main forum and see other posts :D
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

Bas
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Bas » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:53 pm

No! There are already too many sub-forums and you could turn any important thread into a sub-forum if you like. It should be easy to spread your words in a thread. New members don't know where to post, don't know where to look: Please keep the forum readable.

The review sub-forum is also questionable in my opinion. You should try to open a website (you know CDinteractive offers free hosting) and keep a database there. What about your own blog, trev ;)

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:49 pm

I wouldn't mind having my own blog, it's just that my computer knowledge is very limited so I have never really tired one before. The review sub-forum is a great way for me to share my collection w/others. Who decided to put that section in? I would be sad to see it pulled.

Also, I can't imagine an M2 section causing near as much confusion as you anticipate :? but I respect your opinion as a moderator.

Bas
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Bas » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:10 pm

it's just one leads to another and I think we should focus on one general 3do forum.

However, the 3do forum sections are up to Devin and 3DOkid, I'll just spread my view on it!

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:53 pm

I can do this - I'm an Admin. Hold that M2 Thought

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:57 pm

3DOKid wrote:I can do this - I'm an Admin. Hold that M2 Thought
...never let it be said I'm not a man of action. Sorry Bas. :oops:

I think a dedicated sticky to M2 information is the best. After all, there isn't that much really, it's all 3DO and a sticky will be easy to find. If it turns out we get loads and loads of stuff - then we can review the situation later... Whaddya say?

3DO Kid!

Windows Killer
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Windows Killer » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:50 pm

I've voted 'yes'. I really like to see a M2 section here! :)

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:43 pm

I think you may be surprised how much M2 info we come up with. I for one plan to blitz the sticky with info & questions ... hopefully I will overload it to the point where a dedicated section becomes a necessity (a good compromise always makes me bitter :twisted: )

Windows Killer
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Windows Killer » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:49 pm

I wonder how many here actually even have a working M2 setup. :shock:

Personally, I don't like a sticky topic for a certain subject (M2 in this case), as whatever you post in there will get lost too fast...

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:02 pm

I agree ... I think there are too many topics ...

-demos
-games
-hardware
-arcade system, etc...

I think the thread will quickly become swamped :?

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:42 pm

I can live with a sticky for now (thanks 3dokid :wink: ).
But, I agree with Trev and Windowskiller. I think that the broad topic of M2 encompasses too much information, and that over time a single thread dedicated to covering the M2 will become crowded and difficult to remain on topic. It is, after all, a different console.

[/quote]New members don't know where to post, don't know where to look: Please keep the forum readable.[/quote]

Other forums I frequent contain sections specific to different models of consoles and I don't think it is confusing when, for example, I visit Atariage and wish to look up information regarding the Jaguar that I actually visit the Jaguar section, as opposed to say, the 2600 section.

I can envision a future where some people will be trying to discuss hardware, while another group wants a software lineup, and post derailments will become commonplace... and then the world as we know it will end...
But seriously, I can't even imagine trying to dig up specific information related to hardware, software, development, M2 related spin-offs, etc. within a single thread that is 15, 20, or more pages long. Scratch that, I can imagine because I have done it before and it isn't pleasing.
I, for one, believe that the significance and distinctiveness of the M2 is enough to warrant it's own section, if not at the moment then probably later on.
I have boxes full of M2 development documents, various releases of M2 SDK/Toolkits, M2 based arcade games, M2 kiosk units, M2 kiosk unit software, M2 emulation cards, prototype M2 control pads, a full brand new M2 development setup, an M2 development station that was actually used by a games developer, M2 development consoles, a pre-production M2 console, endles piles and piles of magazines/articles/documentation on the M2 project, etc. All of this can be used to help keep the posting active :wink:
Just my 2 cents.

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:56 am

WindowsKiller wrote:I wonder how many here actually even have a working M2 setup. :shock:

Personally, I don't like a sticky topic for a certain subject (M2 in this case), as whatever you post in there will get lost too fast...
That's why we need a regularly updated first post to catalog the information the thread holds...

3DOkid, I hope you're up to the task, since you took it upon yourself to start it! :)

Bas
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Bas » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:17 am

I like to seperate valuable information from shit-chat, if you catch my drift. The new review sub-forum is already ruined for me (sorry) thanks to that, and it's the danger of using a forum for this.

On the other hand, It's very pleasing to see a very active gang around here right now. I hope it's not just because the forum is new ;)

So, if stuff like that makes you enhusiastic (and you don't want to spend your energy in building a website (something that sounds better to me) then rape the forum with sub-sections, ofcourse ;)

In the end, the users should find the place comfortable!

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:42 am

How about I prune out the none informational stuff every so often?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:44 pm

I really have enjoyed posting reviews. Why not just move the follow-up comments to a different section if they are that much of an annoyance? As long as members who are active on the forum keep enjoying them, I want to keep adding to the review section. (I have some import reviews that I plan on posting shortly) Whose ideas was it to add that section anyway? Wouldn't it be the moderators choice? Anyway, I'm happy to support any new sub-sections, and optomisitc for the growth of the forum.
I'm having fun :P

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:28 am

I like the review section, and would like to see it continue in its current form. I see nothing wrong with a review sparking related discussion in the same thread. If all you want to read is reviews and nothing else, you can stop after the first post of each thread and ignore the rest.