32X vs 3DO vs Jaguar

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

jesus 666
3DO ZERO USER

32X vs 3DO vs Jaguar

Post by jesus 666 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:35 pm

Anyone seen this poll http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread ... 50&page=17 on Sega-16? It's been going for years! I've been trying to explain to these people that the 3DO was in an entirely different league but they won't listen, the 3DO is still massively trailing the 32X!!!!!! mainly due to the site being biased. people should all go there and, like, vote for the 3DO or something.

I'm just kidding around really, that would be a bit pathetic I guess (go there, go there now and vote)
Juffo-Wup is the hot light in the darkness

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:53 pm

I think the 32X had Virtua Racing very nearly the way god intended. However, after that it was alittle lacking. Although, having said that, some of the other arcade conversions do float my boat!

...but to say the 3DO is not better than 32X. They're blind! Blind to truth.

jesus 666
3DO ZERO USER

Post by jesus 666 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:13 pm

Until I started posting in that thread the 3DO was well in last, at least I've managed to get it into 2nd, one of the problems is that there is still much I don't know about the consoles from that gen, according to the people on that thread, Need For Speed, Space Hulk, D, Po'ed, Wing Commander III and Return Fire all have later, superior versions on other consoles, I haven't played the Saturn or PS1 ports (why would I have done, I owned a 3DO when I was a kid)

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:30 pm

HA HA HA!

No... Wait... they aren't joking.

Hmmm. Well let's put it this way. During that period, EA suffered from what was tantamount to penis envy.

They clearly wished NFS was more like Ridge Racer/Daytona. So, they made a mess of the Saturn and PS conversion. 3DO NFS is aces, PS Ridge Racer is skill, the PS version of NFS is a mutant hybrid chimera disaster.

Wing Commander III is the finest game ever made -- ever. The PS and PC ports were at best, tragic. I cannot emphasise how upsetting the conversions to PS1 and PC were.

WCIV on the PS1 made me cry real tears. And I'm not alone.

I don't know about Return Fire, I'm guessing it was messed up.

Generally speaking, even today, ports of games are rubbish. They lack priority and are given to junior teams, with no funding. Of cause they are rubbish.

I don't know about PO'ed. It's a sleeper classic in my opinion. Some day, someone who is someone, will say PO'ed is awesome (better than Doom IMHO) and it will take on a new-lease of life.

Look at this way: Balls, Soccer Kid, Cannon Fodder, Syndicate - they were all awesome. Well, awesome on the Amiga/PC. But On the 3DO? Dreadful, in a word.

Decent ports? Alone in the Dark and Flashback. Neither pushed the 3DO. Alone in the dark could have been so much more. If you compare it to Dr Hauzer, a 3DO exclusive, which is basically a copy of AitD, you can see how much horse-power was left in the 3DO when it runs AItD.

Originals are made with love on their intended platform. Ports are generally cynical cash-ins, or are attempts to recoup money. See the PS2 games to Wii or PSP for details ;) In fact all of Xbox live arcade, PSN, Wii online, all that retro rubbish, just trying to screw back money or make more money, with not even the faintest injection of love.

Sirens on PSN is excused. Although it's episodic, so it's not. Well, maybe...

Although if they want to enhance AitD, Air Combat, Wing Commander III, and bung 'em out on PSN/Live! they can for me ;)

bonefish
3DO ZERO USER

Post by bonefish » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:03 pm

I don't try to persuade people anymore (well unless they ask for it lol). On the 32x vs 3do vs Jaguar debate though all I do is ask one question... Can you make a top 50 list for the 32x or Jaguar. Nope, not enough games, or GOOD playable games for that matter.

3do 2 million units sold (wikipedia)
32x 200k units sold (wikipedia)
Jaguar 250k units sold (wikipedia)

At the end of the day they were all failures but at least 3do owners had a solid library of games to play! And that is what it is all about!

jesus 666
3DO ZERO USER

Post by jesus 666 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:19 pm

bonefish wrote:I don't try to persuade people anymore
If we don't then who will? people will go on being ridiculously ill informed, for the rest of time whenever the 3DO is brought up there'll be posts like "wasn't that the console with only interactive movies" or "god they really butchered Zelda on that console" or "I can't believe they made that console 1 player only"

pitsunami
3DO ZERO USER

Post by pitsunami » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:35 pm

So what...they make us people (who know the truth) special! :D

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:05 am

Meh,both the Jaguar and 32X were good in their own respect,they just lacked real support from 3rd parties. Something I would have really liked to have seen from the 32X was more 2d arcade stuff. What was on it was pretty nice,and it was almost like the port of Primal Rage on it was held back a tad.

Jaguar still has one of the best Doom ports around,and its Wolfenstein is almost as good as the 3DO one,except for the fact the 3DO one is a far more complete experience. I know people hate Kasumi Ninja on it but as far as its actual graphics go it was pretty nice looking for its time,and Ultra Vortek proved alot more could have been done fighter wise if someone cared to do so for the system. Most of the people doing 3d on the Jag should not have been,as they were all too inexperienced in that field, causing the majority of what was done to make the system look awful and even more underpowered then what it was.

In the end though,the 3DO was the most powerful of the 3,and did have the best support over all. Really support didn't really start to suck until Sony and Sega started trowing around alot of cash in late 95-early 96. Up until then the 3DO was getting a good amount of support from game mags like EGM and GameFan, and pretty good advertising space across the board.

It was sad to see these same mags all the sudden act like the 3DO was dead before it even was,ignoring it as soon as Sony started paying for majority ad space (even more then Sega here in the USA) and obviously buying positive reviews,comments,ect as reflected in mags. After all that took place I think it ended up being Next Generation that was left doing the most 3DO coverage. It seemed like it was the only mag to not sell the system out,continuing to give fair reviews of games,ect.

In the end I am thankful that so much quality and ground breaking titles were released for the 3DO. Even with all the odds stacked against it once the PS and Saturn hit the sales floor, the 3DO still managed to keep its current fan base pleased for the most part with the sheer amount of good titles out there.

I knew so many people with 3DO systems,and everyone was happy with theirs, even after the systems retail death. You cant say the same for the 32X and Jaguar other then for the few cult die hards who wont let go. Those systems got screwed completely and most people who had them I knew,other then me, regretted owning them.

The popularity is really reflected on sites like ebay these days where you see far more quality for nice cash amount 3DO transactions taking place compared to the 32X and Jaguar. Jaguar stuff does get a good amount of cash, but it tends to be because of die hard Atari fans who spend any amount on anything Atari if their budget will allow it, Jaguar or otherwise. That fanbase is a entirely different breed in and of itself.

bonefish
3DO ZERO USER

Post by bonefish » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:48 am

jesus 666 wrote:
bonefish wrote:I don't try to persuade people anymore
If we don't then who will? people will go on being ridiculously ill informed, for the rest of time whenever the 3DO is brought up there'll be posts like "wasn't that the console with only interactive movies" or "god they really butchered Zelda on that console" or "I can't believe they made that console 1 player only"

Funny thing is when gamers come over to my place and see my 3do proudly standing on the entertainment center... they say it sucks. I retort with check out these games: FIFA, Star Control, SF2, Samurai Shodown, Gex, Killing Time, NFS, Road Rash, Shockwave, Return Fire, Horde, Wing Commander, Battlesport, Blade Force... so many great games.

As Mike said, when the 3do bit the dust, I was pissed (because it cost many months of chores). But that being said lots of good games, I didn't feel like it was a lost cause.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:44 am

The jaguar is fiercely defended, so is the 32X, but then so is the DC, the Saturn, N64, the original Xbox, none of whom's performance in sales was particularly stellar. That's not to say they aren't good bits of hardware with great games. They are. Mostly it's brand loyality.

Things like the CDi, CD32 and 3DO really have been abandoned to history.

I wonder if the CD32 gets more support than the 3DO? Amiga still commands huge fan loyalty. Not as much as Atari mind you. Well, I don't think so!
jesus 666 wrote:If we don't then who will? people will go on being ridiculously ill informed, for the rest of time whenever the 3DO is brought up there'll be posts like "wasn't that the console with only interactive movies" or "god they really butchered Zelda on that console" or "I can't believe they made that console 1 player only"
Well -- it's like the Wii. Games for girls right? Or the 360, full of FPS'? Or the SNES just platformers.

I remember going into GameStation, around-about the time they thought plundering retro was a good idea (an idea they have now recounted on) and being offered some 3DO games by their in store captain of retro. games like: Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon, and Burn Cycle. The Cambridge store was to be the 'flagship' retro store. I remember thinking good-luck!
pitsunami wrote:So what...they make us people (who know the truth) special! :D
Indeed it does. I actually prefer it that way.

Let's face-it. If every gamer was well informed and knowledgable on 3DO, most of us wouldn't be that interested. ;)

Beef Supreme
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Beef Supreme » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:45 am

no matter how many times they tried , not a single version of road rash exists thats better than the 3do version . hands down .

second best was on the pc , which you can actually play online against other people , there's a few servers that will host it . i have it and i used to go on there but no one was ever online .

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:29 pm

Haha that's funny they goofed and tried to pass off CD-I titles as 3DO stuff.

I don't really pay attention too much so Im not really sure how many 3DO forums and fan sites there are, but typically the systems gets talked about fondly if you converse about it on non Sony,Sega,and Nintendo based forums. Quite a few members on Pcenginefx.com have or had one and love it,and I knew a few on Klov and the Neo forums also who did.

But yea you will be really hard pressed to find good 3DO fans on a Sega forum or Atari one just for the simple fact the folks there are going to be very die hard for the Atari and Sega stuff and defend it to the bitter end. Some people still believe in Blast Processing, it helps them sleep better at nite.

The Turbografx is just now hitting a really popular stage in retro gaming. The US stuff has hit the roof in value and people are buying it up like mad. The 3DO has for the last few years maintained constant positive values on ebay too, and you even see the junk selling pretty well too off and on. I think it could def use more exposure though to gain popularity.

This can have both positive and negative effects though. Prices on stuff will go even higher, and the semi rare or uncommon titles will be even more so. The trade off,more/larger fanbase. Eventually I am going to add a 3DO section to my Pc-Engine Hell page,and I have started uploading videos to youtube too. Just going to try to do my part as best as I can for the 3DO, it def deserves it considering it provided me with plenty of good times in my life.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:56 am

I submitted a reply to that thread:

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread ... post100775

I think I presented a pretty good argument overall.

jesus 666
3DO ZERO USER

Post by jesus 666 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:59 am

Michael Helgeson wrote:I submitted a reply to that thread:

LOL, I'm not too sure if they're gonna take kindly to you filling an entire page with loads of 3do pics but it was worth it :lol:

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:21 am

heh i forgot about that thread, i voted in it long ago
so im one of the 20 that picked it
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:02 am

jesus 666 wrote:
Michael Helgeson wrote:I submitted a reply to that thread:

LOL, I'm not too sure if they're gonna take kindly to you filling an entire page with loads of 3do pics but it was worth it :lol:
Its ok,I know Joe Redifer from PCEFX. If they complain Ill just make him miserable over at pcefx forums :wink: And yea it was def worth it, the truth always hurts so Im sure its going to smart real bad trying to come up with 32X games that look as good as the 3DO stuff I posted. :)

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:00 am

What is that list of game Joe Redifer is refering too?

Guardian War is tactical RPG - like final fantasy tactics.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:04 am

Joe was just making comments on the list I posted of some of my favs.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:34 am

He has been rather selective. ;)

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:13 pm

When it comes to quality not quantity I think the 3do fanbase has it covered. While we are passionate its not at the expense of others and that sets us apart.
On the subject of the cd32 - its largely ignored by the amiga community its just that the majority of games were ports of amiga 1200 games, so there seems to be alot of reviews etc but you'll be hard pressed to find anything on the handful of cd32 only releases.

There is a reasonable cd32 base here in Oz but thats because unlike the 3do it was actually sold in mainstream retail by the existing commodore/amiga stockists.

0 support from panasonic - I still maintain that the fixation on Japan/US markets instead of Europe , Rest of the World was a major contributer to its demise.
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:37 pm

You could pick up a CD32 here in the UK pretty easy I think :? . I remember seeing one in Dixons (or was it Currys?)

In 1993 Sony was promting the PSX and Sega was talking about the Saturn. The two biggest games, or at least the two most awe inspiring games in the UK had to be Daytona and Ridge Racer. Virtua Fighter and Tekken too. Everything was about 3D and arcade in the home, and until the PSX/Saturn, no-one delivered.

Basically, people held out. It shows in the sales figures. People simply didn't buy anything (32x, CDi, 3DO, CD32 or Jaguar)

jesus 666
3DO ZERO USER

Post by jesus 666 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:14 pm

3DOKid wrote:People simply didn't buy anything (32x, CDi, 3DO, CD32 or Jaguar)
No, the CD32 was actually a success, but Commodore UK had been carrying Commodore international for years, Commodore International was losing money faster than the UK branch were making it and even though the CD32 was selling well it got to the stage where they could no longer manufacture it anymore and the company went bankrupt.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:37 pm

jesus 666 wrote:
3DOKid wrote:People simply didn't buy anything (32x, CDi, 3DO, CD32 or Jaguar)
No, the CD32 was actually a success, but Commodore UK had been carrying Commodore international for years, Commodore International was losing money faster than the UK branch were making it and even though the CD32 was selling well it got to the stage where they could no longer manufacture it anymore and the company went bankrupt.
Success is relative obviously. The UK and Germany loved all things Amiga didn't they?

In all fairness, the CD32 didn't represent anything new though did it? Or anything terribly exciting. Most peoples opinion was that it was an A1200 with a CD. Which it was, all but for a tweaks and turns. Everyone really did want 3D ... stuff.

I was a big Amiga fan. My A1200 had got me through Uni, but the CD32 pailed, in my opinion at the time, to the Jaguar and the 3DO.

When I eventually (and sadly) stuck my CD32 on eBay, some German chap contacted me asking for the serial number. They were tracking them all down.

jesus 666
3DO ZERO USER

Post by jesus 666 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:07 pm

3DOKid wrote:
Success is relative obviously. The UK and Germany loved all things Amiga didn't they?
I dunno dude, i'd say a console that always made money for it's creators from it's first release till the end would be classed as being successful.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:40 am

The combined library of both the Jag & the 32X is like what, 1/3 the size of the 3DO library? Plus, where are the imports? Not to mention cartridge quality audio. I own all three, but the 3DO is easily tops, followed by the Jag w/32X far behind. (alhtough I do like its version of VR racing better than the Saturns)

Seems like many on the above mentioned poll admitted to spending little to no time w/3DO. That automatically makes their opinions worthless.

On a seperate note, where is a good place to find games for the cd32 or cdtv? I only knew of one place that is no longer in business.

pitsunami
3DO ZERO USER

Post by pitsunami » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:29 am

Trev wrote:On a seperate note, where is a good place to find games for the cd32 or cdtv? I only knew of one place that is no longer in business.
Some months ago i was searching for cd32 games but with no luck...every online shop have very few games and pretty expensive. So evilbay is the only way i think!

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:19 am

jesus 666 wrote:
3DOKid wrote:
I dunno dude, i'd say a console that always made money for it's creators from it's first release till the end would be classed as being successful.
Financially it was success, if what you are saying is true. It was also a success for the engineering team too. Sounds like they did a Wii :)

In my opinion it would have been nice if they built a box with Amiga compatibility but with dedictaed 3D chips and a more powerful CPU (Motorola 040 or 060 perhaps?)

I do think in terms of public perception however, it was less than a success. A lot of the games were just Amiga games with FMV bolted to front end, that said, Super Stardust was awesome. Better than it's PSN great-great grandchild.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:08 am

i finally had to post in that thread

here is what i said its on page 20
seriously how is the 32X still winning this poll?
i love the Sega company and everything but the 3do is alot better than the 32X
i know this is a sega fan site but come on get your heads out of the clouds and open your minds
also someone posted an awesome Picard song video on the top of page 21 - im addicted to the damn song now :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6oUz1v17Uo
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:34 am

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:42 am

Holy crap that song rules.
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin