Pre-Order the game/console months in advance
9%
Buy in the shops around the release date
9%
Only buy my games/consoles on-line
No votes
Wait a few weeks/months post release
36%
I won't buy a game/console until it plumets in price and the overall value for money is better
45%

Total votes: 11

Devin
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Game/Console Adoption Habits

Post by Devin » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:39 pm

Just interested what buying habits fuel your gaming for current generation wares!

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:32 am

current generation?

none as in, im not buying the new ones ever, and ive only bought a few around the time of launch (Genesis, 7800, TG-16), the rest have been years after they were off the market or dropped in price to around $50 for a new one, like the DC i got for $50. i got a new FZ10 for $43 in 1997. a new Atari Jaguar for $60 in 1997. Playstation/N64 for Xmas of 1999 for $99 each (but i didnt pay for those :D )
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

Devin
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by Devin » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:46 am

That's probably a good policy for saving money!

I've just started to question why I bother buying games on release. After a little study of these matters they seem to drop by about £10 over the course of a couple of months. So I'm reforming my buying habits, picking up the odd older game for a few pounds on ebay in as good as new condition. Then get more recent releases once they drop a few bucks.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:07 am

Day of Release: Amiga A1200, 3DO, PS1, PS2, PS3.
Just after release: Atari STE, Saturn, Dreamcast, N64, Gamecube, XBox
Left it a while: 360, Jaguar, Xbox, PSP.

Thing is, I know it's stupid because there are never any decent games. Ever. Well, except for Ridge Racer and Wipeout on the PS1.

It is, just a waste of money.

In terms of games, almost rediculiously, I leave it until I can get them second hand. Very rarely do I get all excited about the release of a new game anyway.

Increasingly, I find myself get excited about a game, on the very edge of pre-order, to be informed of some silly addition to the game that turns me cold.

Some examples of pre-order cancelling after 3DOKid-Mega-Excitement:

MGS4 - Edge Magazine told me about 2 x 45min cut scenes. Pre-order cancelled.

Soul Calibre - inclusion of Star Wars characters. Pre-order cancelled.

GTA4: Play as a Russian thug. Pre-order cancelled in grim-o-world.

I pre-ordered Initial D Extreme Stage. It was a bit naff.

I just approach all game releases with cynicism, and then hope to be proved wrong.

Although, the 3DOkid excitement levels are already boiling for Ace Combat 7, GhostBuster, Resistance Fall of man 2 and Killzone 2. Of cause, it will trashed, but it's fun while it lasts.

Devin
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by Devin » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:39 pm

3DOKid wrote:Increasingly, I find myself get excited about a game, on the very edge of pre-order, to be informed of some silly addition to the game that turns me cold.
Can't beat the anticipation!

I recently picked up Ridge Racer for the PSP brand new just under a fiver! Same for Mercury, Every Extend Extra and Wipeout Pure. Not very impressed by the withdraw of downloadable content for the later from the PSX Store, it took some searching to find the extra skins and tracks from an independent source.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:05 pm

Ridge Racer on the PSP, is quite possibly, the best game ever.

nocturne
3DO ZERO USER

Post by nocturne » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:46 am

Burnout legends is possibly the best PSP game :)

I used to Buy NTSC versions of consoles as they used to come out way sooner then PAL consoles, specially in Australia. I remember buying a U.S N64 with mario 64 on release from the states, But my favourite has to be the Japanese Dreamcast I bought on release which came with virtual fighter 3 and that shenmue demo disk with the Yu Suzuki interview.

Now i just sit back and wait for second hand or used games for the new systems, I mean you end up with so much stuff. I've only gotten back into 3DO recently so theres a good year of gaming, I can't remember the last new gaming item i bought

Devin
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by Devin » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:20 am

nocturne wrote:Burnout legends is possibly the best PSP game :)
Waiting for the magic 'Fiver' mark then I think I'll buy this one!

I still buy new games, just gotta know where to look on-line for the good deals. Picked up a Digital Download Via Steam called Audiosurf. If your not familiar it's a game that creates gameplay around whatever MP3 you decide to play! Really fun game and of course you can change the mood from a slow majestic orchestra to an all out death metal deal! Only three English Pounds as well down from the original $9.99, I'm such a skin flint!

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:27 pm

3DOKid wrote:Ridge Racer on the PSP, is quite possibly, the best game ever.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3UwyXdM3P4

LMAO

ok back to the topic

I stopped buying new games the day they come out. I started to buy them one at a time and finish that one before i buy a new one. I got into a habit of buying games and not even playing them. Im done with that. lol.

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:42 am

Actually the star wars chaarcters work quite well in soul calibour! It just sucks that you cant play them against each other.
inclusion of star wars characters. Pre order cancelled
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:05 am

...just a minute. Darth and Yoda can't fight? Post-pre-order cancelled.

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:38 pm

yeah well sony were not happy that THEIR title was going to XBOX as well so to appease the great sony god the developers had to come up with an idea that would make each version exclusive. Yoda/XBOX green Darth/PS3 black apparantly the spin docters told them this was enough to make people go out and buy both consoles together!!!!
Yoda is harder to play but rewards the patient skilled player - darth is slow and easy - not as much of a challenge so if push came to shove i'd go the xbox version.
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:43 pm

You've really, really, cancelled that post-pre-order. What a load of tosh. Don't they get it, I just want to kill stuff in 3D.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:26 am

The only console I ever bought on day 1 was the Dreamcast (totally worth it!) Most other consoles I'll usually grab within 1-3 yrs after launch. For this gen I only have a DS & Psp (although I do get to play the Wii @ my friends house!)