3do by other companies

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Bas
3DO ZONE MOD

3do by other companies

Post by Bas » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:10 am

Panasonic wasn't the only manufacturer of 3do, right? I've never seen a picture of a 3do player other than Panasonic. You?

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Re: 3do by other companies

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:30 pm

Bas wrote:Panasonic wasn't the only manufacturer of 3do, right? I've never seen a picture of a 3do player other than Panasonic. You?
Yeah - Trip was planning on getting everyone making them - and he nearly did:

Panasonic, Sanyo, Samsung, Goldstar, Creative Labs,Toshiba reckoned they would make a Portable, AT&T, Scientific-Atlanta, Atari and Creative labs threatened to make arcade machines out of 3DO technology.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:43 pm

american laser games had a prototype arcade machine witha 3do in it.

http://www.arcadeflyers.com/?page=flyer&id=4409&image=2

Gir Draxa
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Gir Draxa » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:34 am

Hmm..

Well, here's my webpage which reviews not only 2 Panasonic models, but the Robo, the TRY and the Goldstar version of the FZ-1.

3DO Collective

The AT&T one looked nice too (deep blue weirdness!), but I've only just seen the mockup one in NEXT GENERATION.

Drax

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:43 am

That ROBO one looks the business. 4 Disc changer? Does it work? Do you have any other pictures of it? it looks like it was ripped from the wreckage of one the space ships in "Space 1999"... (If we all remember that TV show!)

Which controller did it have?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:42 am

I remember seeing a full page preview of the ALG orb game in an issue of EGM. It would have been a difficult home port though, since the 3DO lacked any track ball controllers. ALG also had plans to stick Way of the Warrior (go figure :? ) in an arcade unit. Does anyone know if these were actually released in limited quanities or not?

zenkov

Post by zenkov » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:25 am

This is usual practice for that time. For example Saturn, was produced by Sega, Hitachi, JVC, Samsung and SunSeibu.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:34 pm

orbattak was likely a fully playable machine but it is unknown if it was released. there is a known image of this game floating about on the net that runs in freedo 1.7 iirc, but it cant be played because no controls are emulated. You can only watch the attract mode.

there is also a known image of an arcade version of maddog 2 from this same arcade machine setup that also runs in that version of freedo.

these games were recovered from someone who had won these machine/games from some contest iirc. So I cant say wether or not if these even had a limited release.

Gir Draxa
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Gir Draxa » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:01 am

Trev wrote:I remember seeing a full page preview of the ALG orb game in an issue of EGM. It would have been a difficult home port though, since the 3DO lacked any track ball controllers. ALG also had plans to stick Way of the Warrior (go figure :? ) in an arcade unit. Does anyone know if these were actually released in limited quanities or not?
EGM did a small photo of the full arcade machine a looooong time ago. Not sure if they included a review or more info other than hating the sticks for it.

Here's the only listing I could find for it on the net:

Way of the Warrior Arcade

Drax
CEO of The (in search of a home) CD-i & 3DO Collectives

Just slightly behind at being ahead of our time!