UK exclusives

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:46 pm

Mel Gibson too. I saw Mad Max 3 before Mad Max 1 & 2. I thought Mel was American. You see, if you had asked me, a self appointed ignoramus, Sam Neil? American right? Wrong apparently. Shock-of-the-week. Really, this is now shock of the week. Sam Neil? Event Horizon (top film) Jurassic Park (top film)... Mouth Madness (top film) an Aussie? WOW :shock:

Although, I have had a lot of shocks in my life like that. It's probably because I don't pay attention.

Deep Purple. The band? You know them right? They are white! I'm not being racist, I honestly simply assumed they were Black. Purple see? Purple = Prince and Purple = Jimi Hendrix. I saw their video for Smoke On The water on TV about 3 months ago. A nearly choked. Not only are they white, but they are English too. They're carrot crunchers from Bristol or Devon or something. :shock:

It's like when I learned Charles Bronson isn't Spanish or South American, or a Spanish American or something like that - he was American with Lithuanian parents. :shock:

It doesn't matter. Obviously. It's still a surprise. 'cos, like, you assume. Well I did. Sam Neil. Aussie. :shock:

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:34 am

Well it's kinda one of those things, over here if you are from another country and your acting is pretty good than you are automatically cool. You just usually have to loose the accent... unless you're British.

Ya know Nicole Kidman is an Aussie too. :)
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:57 am

3DO Experience wrote:Well it's kinda one of those things, over here if you are from another country and your acting is pretty good than you are automatically cool. You just usually have to loose the accent... unless you're British.

Ya know Nicole Kidman is an Aussie too. :)
That, I did know.

Did you know that the guy who plays Lee Adama in Battlestar Galactica, is a Brit. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamie_Bamber

:shock:

Normally a Brit putting on an accent is a toe-curling painful experience but he had me fooled.

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:14 am

actually those guys I listed are new zealanders not aussies!
Sam Neil is regarded as one of their living treasures and although Mel Gibson and Nicole Kidman spent most of their lives here in Australia they were both US born! Mels parents immigrated and Nicole was born in Hawaii during an overseas posting so there you go !
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:18 am

and I know we are getting way off topic but Hugh Laurie is pretty damn convincing as an American (used to love his show with Stephen Fry) and another bit of trivia Olivia Newton-John is actually a brit!

Love Sam Neils work too. Currently he is on an aussie tv commercial promoting red meat!
If you can get a copy look at his first major movie - a NZ film called "sleeping dogs" its brilliant.

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:25 pm

Hugh Laurie? As an American? You think? Makes me toe-curl.To me he sounds exactly like a Brit faking the American accent.

Jason Statham on the other hand should be flogged, shot, hung, and strung from the tallest building in Hollywood as a warning to other Brits for his crimes against the American accent. I mean, he can barely speak any language with his native voice...

Sally from Home and Away, she's 100% Aussie right?

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:57 pm

I knew Lee Adama was Brittish, but only cause I really like the new Galactica.

And Olivia Newton-John is HOT. She looks very different now than she did when she was younger, but its like her hotness has turned into a new form. (I'd bury my face between those thighs any day!)

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:25 pm

coincidently olivia is part of the current Nintendo ad campaign over here!

and I think that Anthony LaPaligia and Poppy Montgomery from Without a Trace do a good american accent (they;re both aussies too)

Julian Mcmahon from the Fantastic 4 movies , Charmed , Nip/tuck is also the son of one our former Prime Ministers.He seems to do a good job too!

oh well thats probably enough aussie gloating for one topic!

...................now which third world pacific nation should we invade next

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:48 pm

mattyg wrote:coincidently olivia is part of the current Nintendo ad campaign over here!
I wish she was here!

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:11 am

Hugh Laurie? As an American? You think? Makes me toe-curl.To me he sounds exactly like a Brit faking the American accent.
You need to hang around w/more Americans me thinks ... he is darn convincing w/nary a hint of being someone from across the pond.
Love Sam Neils work too.
Sam Neill is awesome! It would have been interesting to see what he could have done w/the role of James Bond ...

P.S. I forgot what this post was originally about...

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:58 am

Maybe it's because i only really remember him from Black Adder.

Edit: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iheDpTH-T18

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

My toes are at right-angles. GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:35 pm

Maybe it's because i only really remember him from Black Adder.
I like Black Adder. I'm a fan of Rowan Atkinson's style of comedy.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:07 am

I'm taking Japanese lessons and I just introduced my tutor to Black Adder.

nintendoman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by nintendoman » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:21 pm

Nicole Kidman is dual-citizenship, right? I read she's born on Hawaii, which was annexed by the USA, that'll make her American, and she moved to OZ when 3, lived there til 19 or so....

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:05 pm

I'm taking Japanese lessons and I just introduced my tutor to Black Adder
That's what I call culture shock!

Aren't most Japanese baffled by westerners enough already ?
Sally from Home and Away, she's 100% Aussie right?
Yep and is now a sucessful breakfast annoncer
Nicole Kidman is dual-citizenship, right? I read she's born on Hawaii
Yep already mentioned that!

Apparantly the two new leads on "The Fringe" (not the dawsons creek guy but the other two) are aussies

Interesting from a cultural point of view as our culture tends be the best of British & American - where else can you enjoy California type beaches then wander into an English style Pub? Our television programming also reflects this as you can be watching the Inspector Linley mysteries and then follow it with CSI all on free to air!
As a result our actors are taught what is known as a "west coast accent" as part and parcel of their training which is why we adapt readily to the US market.
If you dig deeper you'll find there are more of us on the TV and at the movies than you think!

Oh well thats enough chest beating from this Aussie!

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:48 pm

Most English singers, sing with an American accent. Which is kind of weird when you think about it. Ozzie Osbourne for example. Quite possibly the most English bloke in the Universe, from Birmingham (near to where I was born) and speaks with a huge Brummie (birmingham) accent.

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:36 pm

Dude, that's so true. I remember when I was a kid listening to an Eric Clapton concert for the very first time and I heard him talk in between songs.

"What the hell??? He's not American? Why does he sound like one when he sings?!"
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:34 pm

Chauffered for Eric once , took him shopping , nice enough guy.
Spent my formative years as a concierge in 5 star hotels - saw a lot of stuff - probably should be in therapy :lol:

nintendoman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by nintendoman » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:54 am

Beatles, sang American, spoke Liverpuddlian.
Marc Bolan (T Rex), sang British, never conquered the US market.