3do Games as art.

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

3do Games as art.

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:58 pm

The most beautiful game for me, and you may want to hold on to your hats for this one, is Ikaruga on the DC. I can't play it obviously. I think the game is crap. But it's so beautiful.

Which got me thinking. Were any 3DO games so inspiring?

My nominations:

Alone in the dark. There is simple elegence to it, that makes it kind of beautiful.
Another World.

and erm, I dunno.

bonefish
3DO ZERO USER

Post by bonefish » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:22 pm

D and Myst are pretty artsy :lol:

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:31 am

Its hard for anything to compare to Alone - other than written text its the only media to have captured Lovecraft's themes intact. I can't think of one movie that truly captured the cthulos mythos as well as this game did.

I think many Japanese games can be considered art - I'm quite partial to games like Strahl.As for other 3do games Hell was OK too as was Cyberia.

The all time greatest for me though was Beneath a Steel Sky on the Amiga
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:54 pm

I love Ikaruga even though I'm terrible at it.

As for artsy 3DO games, I'd have to say Out Of This World.
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:33 pm

Maybe the Daedalus Encounter? Gameplay is almost non-existent, but I love the alien atmosphere. Great colorful full screen video, an audio track that is (at times) brilliant, and pretty good acting make it a great game to watch but, I confess, I don't care to play it.

klogg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by klogg » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:37 am

I used to love all that "retro virtual reality" visual from Immercenary.
3DO Brazil website (in portuguese): http://www.3dobrasil.com.br

3DOSmacker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by 3DOSmacker » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:07 am

I always found games like Night Trap, Mad Dog Mcree 2, Corpse Killer etc. to be an artform unto themselves. They represent a style all their own. Interaction with FMV was thought to be the future of gaming at the time, and 3DO was at the front of the pack in the genre. If movies are art, then being part of, and interacting with, a movie is art as well...even if it is a B-movie.

Do they hold up today? That depends on who you ask. Most people probably view it as a silly fad or an embarassing chapter in gaming history, but guys like me always get a certain unexplainable feeling everytime I pull out the gamegun and put on Mad Dog 2, or pop in Night Trap for some nostalgic gaming. Yes, they're repetitive, but so are lots of games. They're indicative of an time of experimentation with new boundaries to explore. That, I think, is what makes them their own art, but I think you had to be experiencing that in real time back in the early 90's to be able to truly appreciate it.

Also, games from Crystal Dynamics like Crash n' Burn had styles that were unlike anything else at the time. Admittedly, these aren't necessarily great games (although I played a ton of CnB in my time). However, I don't think anyone can argue that Crystal Dynamics was definitely doing something that hadn't been done, and not purely for the reason that they were making games with better graphics capabilities than the console standard at the time. It wasn't known how much or how little FMV or real audio content the gamer wanted, or even what enhanced or detracted from the experience overall. It was a unique process of sort of "feeling out" where games were going to go from there.

Take a good listen to Killing Time. The first time I played it, heard the soundtrack, and saw the ghostly characters in front of me, I was absolutely blown away. Would any of you argue that KT had a different feel and mood than what had been done before? To claim that it wasn’t art would be, I feel, a great insult to people who stepped outside of the box to try to give a familiar experience a total new and unique feel.

That's really what I think the uniqueness of the 3DO was and is. The technology was just far enough ahead of the pack that it challenged designers to experiment in shaping what gaming would become in the subsequent console generation, at a time when (arguably) one of the greatest leaps in gaming technology had occured. Sure, most of it will go down as just that: experiment, but it deserves its’ respect as an art as much or more than most of what’s been done in the gaming world.

Sorry, I tend to be long-winded. That's why I don't typically participate in forums. :P

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:44 am

Well put! 8)
I miss FMV - I think in an effort to shake off the bad memories game producers forgot the good.
FMV does have its place when done well - especially as communications on view screens like shockwave and wing 3 - whilst the game is running. This ability was pretty much not available to mosts consoles before or after 3do.
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG